Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tonedirect Monitoring Without Gearbox

I've got a Macbook Pro with Mavericks and I noticed that I'm able to use the system preferences under Line6 Audio - Midi Devices to set the inputs and recording options without running Gearbox.

Will I still get the benefit of ToneDirect Monitoring by listening through the 'Phones' jack without Gearbox running? Or do I need Gearbox to run? Normally I just record everything unprocessed.

I assume if I did want to hear the processed sound I'd need Gearbox.

Thanks!

I don't think that you'd get the "tonedirect" part... because that has to do with returning the processed sound with low latency...

however you can use it without, and the performance will be great... afterall you are bypassing the processing altogether.

yeah, that's easily done. just record one track as usb stream 1/2 and another track as 3/4

that way you record both... and you can monitor just the processed...

if you don't want the processed tone you don't have to record it...

Thanks - but there's definitely no way to get a processed tone but then send an unprocessed one, right?

Oh, cool, I see. Just tried this out. So if I'm recording 1 thing at a time I can definitely listen to the processed tone and record the dry one. I guess what can't do is record vocals + guitar at the same time and then send 4 things out to Garageband: processed vocals, dry vocals, processed guitar, dry guitar.

I think you can do that as well... with some creative panning and recording the tracks in mono.

not sure which device you're using.

I no longer actively use the toneport or x-series for recording so i can't be more specific.

which means i only use pod farm as a post recording tool, rather than for my initial tones.

I use 2 separate devices, i use a tascam us1800, and i have a pod hd pro x, going into that via spdif (dry) and analog inputs for my processed sound.

i'm pretty sure that if you select the tracks as mono meaning 1 and 2 instead of 1/2 you should be able to record a dual tone as separate tracks.

so that's the DAW piece the pod farm piece will of course factor in.