Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Vintage Digital Delay noise..

Guitarsarang

16 minutes ago, Guitarsarang said:

When I use classic delay on the chain it gives me some tape noise kind.. if it get used with other delay on the chain, noise increases..

was there any issues with this delay?

I am in 2.3 firmware and going to 2.6. 

Hi Guitarsarang,

You haven me confused by saying you use "classic delay" on the chain, and you would like to know if there are any issues with this particular delay.

I am not aware of any delay in the Helix which is named "classic".
To check, I have just scrolled through all the delays listed under Mono, Stereo and Legacy and can find no model named "classic".

Pease advise, which delay you are referring to?

2 hours ago, Guitarsarang said:

When I use classic delay on the chain it gives me some tape noise kind.. if it get used with other delay on the chain, noise increases..

was there any issues with this delay?

I am in 2.3 firmware and going to 2.6. 

If you're talking about the model of the old tape delay, then "tape noise" (or more precisely, the digital approximation thereof) is exactly what you're hearing. What it really means is that L6 was wildly successful with this model, and it sounds just as noisy and crappy as the old ones used to, lol...;)

1 hour ago, datacommando said:

Hi Guitarsarang,

You haven me confused by saying you use "classic delay" on the chain, and you would like to know if there are any issues with this particular delay.

I am not aware of any delay in the Helix which is named "classic".
To check, I have just scrolled through all the delays listed under Mono, Stereo and Legacy and can find no model named "classic".

Pease advise, which delay you are referring to?

OH I am so sorry to confuse you Vintage delay was the one I was referring to.

36 minutes ago, Guitarsarang said:

OH I am so sorry to confuse you Vintage delay was the one I was referring to.

Hi again,

Ah, the Vintage Delay!

Well that model is supposed to sound like that. It is replicating the sound of early digital delay systems and the noise created is due to the way they worked. It's all down to the sample rates and bit depths that early DDL units used. I still have a 12-bit 34KHz  mid 1980's rack mount unit gathering dust in the corner.

Solution - don't use "Vintage Delay", "Vintage Swell" or the old Bucket Brigade and Adriatic models if you don't want the digital noise that is inherent in them.

Also, as noted above by "cruisinon2", avoid the Transistor and Cosmos tape delays for similar reasons. NOISE!

Hope this makes sense.

• Thanks 1

I have never been able to use the Vintage Digital Delay.  I always get some kind of distortion with that pedal.  L6 told me that I have my outputs up too loud.  I turned them all down so I could barely hear my patch and it still distorted.  My output level shouldn't matter.....the pedal either works or it doesn't and since it is the only pedal doing this I would assume it is a flaw.  Anybody else having this issue with this pedal?

2 hours ago, RD1967 said:

I have never been able to use the Vintage Digital Delay.  I always get some kind of distortion with that pedal.  L6 told me that I have my outputs up too loud.  I turned them all down so I could barely hear my patch and it still distorted.  My output level shouldn't matter.....the pedal either works or it doesn't and since it is the only pedal doing this I would assume it is a flaw.  Anybody else having this issue with this pedal?

You need to turn the headroom parameter up if you're hearing clipping. That should solve it. It may still be possible to clip it with the headroom parameter up all the way, and if that's happening, you need to lower the level of the signal going into that block, not lower the level of the outputs.

If you turn the Bit Depth and Sample Rate parameter all the way up on the Vintage Digital model, it's actually probably the most pristine delay on the Helix.