Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guitarsarang

Vintage Digital Delay noise..

Recommended Posts

When I use Vintage Digital delay on the chain it gives me some tape noise kind.. if it get used with other delay on the chain, noise increases..

 

was there any issues with this delay?

 

I am in 2.3 firmware and going to 2.6. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Guitarsarang said:

When I use classic delay on the chain it gives me some tape noise kind.. if it get used with other delay on the chain, noise increases..

 

was there any issues with this delay?

 

I am in 2.3 firmware and going to 2.6. 

 

 

 

Hi Guitarsarang,

 

You haven me confused by saying you use "classic delay" on the chain, and you would like to know if there are any issues with this particular delay.

I am not aware of any delay in the Helix which is named "classic".
To check, I have just scrolled through all the delays listed under Mono, Stereo and Legacy and can find no model named "classic".

 

Pease advise, which delay you are referring to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the tape delay which I believe does even simulate the tape hiss.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look for a "headroom" parameter, and increase it to reduce the simulated noise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Guitarsarang said:

When I use classic delay on the chain it gives me some tape noise kind.. if it get used with other delay on the chain, noise increases..

 

was there any issues with this delay?

 

I am in 2.3 firmware and going to 2.6. 

 

 

 

If you're talking about the model of the old tape delay, then "tape noise" (or more precisely, the digital approximation thereof) is exactly what you're hearing. What it really means is that L6 was wildly successful with this model, and it sounds just as noisy and crappy as the old ones used to, lol...;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, datacommando said:

 

Hi Guitarsarang,

 

You haven me confused by saying you use "classic delay" on the chain, and you would like to know if there are any issues with this particular delay.

I am not aware of any delay in the Helix which is named "classic".
To check, I have just scrolled through all the delays listed under Mono, Stereo and Legacy and can find no model named "classic".

 

Pease advise, which delay you are referring to?

OH I am so sorry to confuse you Vintage delay was the one I was referring to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brue58ski said:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the tape delay which I believe does even simulate the tape hiss.

Sorry it's Vintage Delay I was referring to..~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Guitarsarang said:

OH I am so sorry to confuse you Vintage delay was the one I was referring to.

 

Hi again,

 

Ah, the Vintage Delay!
 

Well that model is supposed to sound like that. It is replicating the sound of early digital delay systems and the noise created is due to the way they worked. It's all down to the sample rates and bit depths that early DDL units used. I still have a 12-bit 34KHz  mid 1980's rack mount unit gathering dust in the corner.

 

Solution - don't use "Vintage Delay", "Vintage Swell" or the old Bucket Brigade and Adriatic models if you don't want the digital noise that is inherent in them.


Also, as noted above by "cruisinon2", avoid the Transistor and Cosmos tape delays for similar reasons. NOISE!

 

Hope this makes sense.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never been able to use the Vintage Digital Delay.  I always get some kind of distortion with that pedal.  L6 told me that I have my outputs up too loud.  I turned them all down so I could barely hear my patch and it still distorted.  My output level shouldn't matter.....the pedal either works or it doesn't and since it is the only pedal doing this I would assume it is a flaw.  Anybody else having this issue with this pedal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RD1967 said:

I have never been able to use the Vintage Digital Delay.  I always get some kind of distortion with that pedal.  L6 told me that I have my outputs up too loud.  I turned them all down so I could barely hear my patch and it still distorted.  My output level shouldn't matter.....the pedal either works or it doesn't and since it is the only pedal doing this I would assume it is a flaw.  Anybody else having this issue with this pedal?

 

You need to turn the headroom parameter up if you're hearing clipping. That should solve it. It may still be possible to clip it with the headroom parameter up all the way, and if that's happening, you need to lower the level of the signal going into that block, not lower the level of the outputs.

 

If you turn the Bit Depth and Sample Rate parameter all the way up on the Vintage Digital model, it's actually probably the most pristine delay on the Helix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!  Thank you, Phil_m.  I will try that out and let you know how it worked for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...