Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Physical EQ with amp disabled?

activateclint

Hi all!

Im new to the POD HD500 (yea i bought an old one cheap)so this might be an easy fix. Or not haha...

I play acoustic and sing so have setup a dual path, input #1 as guitar, input #2 as mic (XLR input).

Both paths start with a 'disabled' amp then split into the required EQ settings, comp boost, then rejoin to the reverb unit, volume pedal etc.

Looks like this:

1874228133_ScreenShot2018-08-23at10_25_27AM.png.581b3b0cac5ad40f18167b2c1ee58ba8.png

So my question is how can i use the physical EQ knobs for tweaking overall tone (of the above patch) at various gigs/rooms? 

617861755_ScreenShot2018-08-23at10_29_05AM.png.08c0e918720af55b61a0ef79a5d005cb.png

Is this ^ whats called "Global EQ" or GEQ"?

Hoping its just a setting somewhere or it can be assigned to the mixer. 

Thanks in advance!

Clint

Oops forgot to mention that I'm going to go straight out of the HD500 (panned left) XLR output into my powered speaker (no mixer or guitar amps etc). The powered speaker does have bass and treble controls but i want to leave it flat and tweak tone from the HD500 itself for ease on the fly.

Cheers

48 minutes ago, pianoguyy said:

If you want "on the fly", you amp's eq is much easier. The GEQ, imo, is more for the the start of the night when you have time to tweak. 

Thanks pianoguyy! 

Im not using an amp in any physical (one that has weight)or digital (pod) form as i want an uncoloured sound, its 'disabled' as its an actual acoustic guitar (not sim) and mic patch. Just out of the HD500 into the speaker. 

Would just like an overall EQ for the dual sound. 

Should the one in the pic still work if there is no 'amp' selected?

:)

8 hours ago, activateclint said:

Should the one in the pic still work if there is no 'amp' selected?

No it won't. The one in the pic controls the amp model only. In the case of no amp model, it does nothing. In the case of  dual amp models it will (by default) control the amp model depending on which path your cursor is on.

I've often wished that those could be re-assigned to something else on a patch by patch basis, but they can't.  NOTE: Line 6 sells a Vintage Model Pack for the 500 that includes an Acoustic AMP. I add that to my acoustic instrument patches which gives me access to the amp controls. 

The global EQ is your best best.... hiding on the last pages in the global settings. You will have to get adept at that. Alternatively... you could  add an effects loop to each patch at the end of the chain and insert an outboard EQ. That would give you something physical to tweak show to show.

Ok thanks all I've learnt some stuff now!

What a bummer that its not assignable to be used AS the global eq when no amp is selected. Everything else seems fiddly for on the fly on a dark stage and an EQ pedal through the effects loop (while a great idea) defeats the purpose of this all in one unit. Guess its just not designed to be run without an amp selected.

That being said the use of a flat response super clean amp might work. Someone has mentioned using the Ampeg flip top.

Otherwise i may have to get the Vintage model pack. 

Dont suppose i can just buy the acoustic amp itself?

On 8/22/2018 at 10:11 PM, activateclint said:

Im not using an amp in any physical (one that has weight)or digital (pod) form as i want an uncoloured sound,

Yes you are. 

On 8/22/2018 at 9:00 PM, activateclint said:

into my powered speaker (no mixer or guitar amps etc). The powered speaker does have bass and treble controls

On 8/25/2018 at 9:53 PM, codamedia said:

I'd hate to point out the obvious... but if you are plugging into a PA, the tone controls on the PA become the Global EQ. 

Yep tho my aim is to have a balanced sound pre mixed as best i can because at some of the venues i play at, i plug the XLR into their 'in-house' wall socket and it goes to their amp they control with volume only. 

On 8/26/2018 at 12:20 AM, pianoguyy said:

Yes you are. 

The speaker is an amp yes, but i didn't want to fiddle with the EQ on it as its not practical to reach and doesn't change the 'line-out' signal to the venues in-house. So i should have started that sentence with "Pretend I'm not using an amp..." haha my bad. 

Problem solved tho!

For some reason after i registered it and when i updated everything through Line 6 monkey, the Acoustic amp is there (plus heaps others) and so is the use of the EQ :). Hope i haven't charged the previous owners credit card with all the amp packs lol.

My only problem now is the XLR outputs are faulty i think... Really weak (too weak for a mic level) and crackly. 1/4" is fine tho, so i can use my 1/4" to XLR lead.

Thanks all for your help on this one!!!

The Class A-15 Full is the flattest amp the HD500 has. I measured them and summarized the stock amp frequency response plots here and the add-on amp frequency response plots here. Install the Full Class A-15, reduce the drive level so you get negligible distortion, and just use the amp EQ as you desire.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, pfsmith0 said:

The Class A-15 Full is the flattest amp the HD500 has. I measured them and summarized the stock amp frequency response plots here and the add-on amp frequency response plots here. Install the Full Class A-15, reduce the drive level so you get negligible distortion, and just use the amp EQ as you desire.

This is a great resource... thanks for sharing.