Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Annoying "rattle" On 12 String Settings

Hi guys

just got my JTV69 yesterday. Loving it mostly, but it has this annoying "rattle" sound on the 12 string settings, as if I've got the action set too low. I've tried pulling the action up a bit and it has helped slightly but I was wondering if a set of 11s or even 12s would cure this little problem. Anyone tried this?

I have checked the neck relief etc and this is fine. The problem still occurs on open strings!!

Thanks

Rob

Using string gauge change to cure a problem with the set-up is typically not a good idea.

When you change gauges, you change the set-up criteria. After changing gauges, it's a good

idea to take it to a Line 6 authorized guitar tech in your area to check it and make any needed

set-up adjustments.

With the 69, there is the bridge adjustment and there is also the individual piezo saddle adjustment.

That along with things like neck relief and intonation should be done at a Line 6 autorized service

center.

Can't go adjusting one without dealing with the other aspects of set-up. They all depend on one

another to work together for a proper set-up and good playing capability. Just changing string gauge

won't do it, now you need to have the rest of the set-up checked by a Line 6 authorized guitar tech

with the proper set-up procedure info for JTV's.

-P. B. Sarkissian

Hello again,

went ahead and changed the strings for a set of 11s. This has reduced the rattling problem but not cured it. I notice it happens on the "acoustic" 12 strings more than the "electric" ones. I am well versed in doing setups etc having made a few guitars and basses from scratch, and not from parts but from the bare wood. This appears to be more of a software issue as there is no rattling on the 6 string models. I am running software version 1.9 and am nervous about updating to version 2.0 HD as many users have reported problems with string balance and position 2 and 4 on the "strat" sounds (which I love by the way).

Any comments from Line 6 themselves?

Thanks for the replies

Rob

It would be good if you had an authorized Line 6 tech check over the set-up, a 69 spec is a smidge different than a Strat spec. I've come across a couple of people who wanted to treat a 69 like a Strat. An authorized Line 6 tech who does JTV's will have the set-up document to go by, so the specs will be spot on.

JTV v2.0,... follow the pdf file, I've updated it for v2.00 Flash. After update, it may need a couple of re-installs for it to lock in all the patches. I wouldn't worry about it, and you can always roll it back to v1.90 if you want. Most of the glitches turned out to be not re-installing after update, or taking user saved patches from earlier versions and bringing into v2.00, which now has different data block formatting.

"Any comments from Line 6 themselves?"--- ssssh,... don't let it get 'round,... I'm Line 6. I'm the guy who techs all the JTV's that come through here at the Repair Dept, here Line 6. My supervisor doesn't mind me trolling the forums regarding JTV problems, so long as it doesn't get in the way of my JTV repair work. A two cents here, a two cents there is okay.

-P. B. Sarkissian

I am VERY curious as to why you recommend multiple reinstalls.  What does this do?????   I write FW for a living and I have never worked with a system that required this.  The install either worked or it didn't.  There must be a difference here because for many Line6 products the first suggestion is to reinstall the FW when someone has a problem.  I am ok with this if there is a reasonable explanation.  I received my JTV69S with 2.0 installed and I am very happy with it by the way!  I have several Pods and I have upgraded the FW on them and never had to do it twice.

By the way I am very pleased that you are allowed by Line6 to participate some in this forum!

It has to do with, what's in computer jargon as, error checks and handshaking during the update process.

There have been instances of voltage sag on the USB line, which is another reason, so we have what's called

the TRS/Battery engage,... helps keep the USB line up.

So after an update, do a reinstall or two (or three) until you get the Successful Install message. It's in the PDF document.

I'm pleased they let me do this too, helps Line6Hugo keep up with all the JTV queries, we work together on this stuff.

I own three JTV's myself, so I hate to see users floundering with this stuff, so Hugo and do what we can with the JTV stuff.

We want it to be a good music making experience for all of you.

-P. B. Sarkissian

• Upvote 1

I just wish that all of these PDF reads would be included on a DVD/CD with the guitar, together with how to care with the guitar, strings sizes supplied, removal and re-stringing method, maintenance products to use and what NOT to use. We are not all experts.

For example, is it ok to remove all of the strings so to clean the neck and oil it so to avoid having the fretboard split if gets too dry?

Does it make any difference to the piezo if all of the strings are removed at the same time?

Sometimes, it's just the network line, as it can be for me. In the building is fine,

it's the rest of the network outside that creates problems for me.

As far as CD/DVD,... updated info is easier this way. Creating and updating CD/DVD every few

months is less immediate. This way, the info comes out immediately when it's been prepped

and ready. Forums are good that way.

-P. B. Sarkissian

Well. I changed the strings on the 69 last night ( same gauge D'Addario EXP 10's

and it sounded horrendous using 2.0, all the strings were way off balance with some other strange noises as well. I rolled back to 1.9 and it sounded dead compared to 2.0 before the string change.

This afternoon I re-flashed back to 2.0, not once but twice, I followed the new instructions and now everything is back to normal and sounds fine. When re-flashing I hear a click type sound from the guitar that occurs a couple of times during the re-boot. Last time I re-flashed to 2'0 I turned the models on, this time I left the switch off. last time I wasn't 100% happy and did not hear the click sound either. It seems whatever it was is now fixed and the strings have now become evenly balanced without addressing workbench.

Also, when I connected to workbench for the first time. 60 things? were downloaded from the guitar to workbench automatically with no input from me, I have no idea what these 60 things were?

So it seems, as far as re-flashing goes, it pays to do it more than once.

it was importing the models from your guitar into workbench HD for possible editing... does that even with just the factory models.

Also, when I connected to workbench for the first time. 60 things? were downloaded from the guitar to workbench automatically with no input from me, I have no idea what these 60 things were?

So it seems, as far as re-flashing goes, it pays to do it more than once.