Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HOW TO DO A FACTORY RESET

ddufour

On 8/25/2018 at 10:03 AM, ddufour said:

I can't find this in the manual so I did a search on this forum and

found that no 2 instructions are quite the same, so I am a bit nervous

about randomly trying one. Is it documented somewhere in the manual

and I just don't see it?

Thanks

Hi,

Here ya go - a full list of reset options.

https://helixhelp.com/manuals/helix/resetOptions.html#helix-floor-lt

Footswitches 8&9 or 9&10 are most likely what you are looking for.

Good luck and don’t worry.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Well I won’t give out any guess work for any Line 6 user, so here is your answer. Simply hold down simultaneously foot switches 7 & 8 respectively and Helix on. You will then let go of foot switches 7 & 8, then you will see the Line 6 Helix Logo appear with a message under your Helix (s) firmware informing you “ We Will Rebuild Your Presets” and you’re good to go , however, please note that this type of Helix reset will not overwrite any and all of your own creative presets. So, with this in mind, you can reset the Helix to factory presets without overwriting/destructive, your own creative presets. 

Many Blessings 

Michael Red Crow Mulholland 

www.MichaelMulholland.com

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Which reset is recommended after a firmware update? 

Reset Options

#Helix Floor/LT

Button Combination Description
2 LED light Fun
3 & 4 Test Mode
5 & 6 Global reset
7 & 8 Reset setlists to factory, Keep IRs
8 & 9 Reset setlists to factory, Clear IRs
9 & 10 Reset setlists to factory, Global reset, Clear IRs
10 & 11 Upgrades existing presets to latest format
11 & 12 Clear current preset
5 & 12 Clear setlists, clear IRs, Return system settings to default
6 & 12 Safe boot mode

To use Reset Options:

• Power off the Helix
  • Hold the desired button combination
  • Power on the Helix
  • Release the button combination

Please note: Buttons are numbered from top left to bottom right.

• Like 3

if you want to load the factory presets associated to a new firmware, you will need to do 7&8. Beware that that will also erase your own presets, so you need to back them up and restore them after the reset. Ask yourself if you really need those factory presets — I have little use for them anyways.

More in general, none of these reset options will “really” get the Helix to factory defaults, because they will update everything except for the firmware.

I had a weird experience with my Helix LT about one month ago at rehearsal, where all Helix inputs apparently stopped working, and the Helix would output no sound at all, upon switching to a different patch. The patch I had switched to was also empty. At the same time, I found the power supply of my external pedalboard, which supplies the input to Helix, was loosely connected. I figure some static charge temporarily prevented the inputs from working. I reset using 9 & 10, but that did not help. The next day the Helix was working properly again. My question is: if the Helix boots properly, can one assume that the firmware is not corrupted? I would be willing to do a full reset (firmware included) and then re-upgrade to 2.82, but I’ll be happy to avoid it if it is not needed.

Sometimes there are new factory p sets which some may find valuable. For instance, firmware v2.8 introduced hotkey support for DAW communications. Some new factory presets provide presets customized for different DAWs. These can be found in the Templates factory setlist which also contains example some of structured presets for specific purposes.I encourage everyone to check this setlist out if you haven't yet done so.

• 2 weeks later...

Try running Updater again and resending the update. You can force the Helix into update mode by holding footswitches 6 and 12 while powering up.

And, for the love of God, keep your computer plugged in while doing the update!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I have also had some experiences of all inputs not working even though HX Edit continues to communicate with Helix and Helix continues to control the PowerCab.  I have a support ticket in at the moment as this issue doesn't seem to have a specific trigger and it keeps happening.

• 1 year later...

Hello, HX Edit asked me to update my Helix to version 3.5 since, I have the message "boot failure, Entered Update Model" I tried to restore the factory config by pressing 6 and 12 at startup, I got the message "Entered Update Model" What should I do ?

• Like 1

In case of up-dating from version 2.92 on Line6 Helix LT version 3.50 turned into a brick.

When loading the Line6 Helix LT window shows in the upper left corner ":0" and "Firmware Version 3.50.0". After that shows "Boot Failure, to Entered Update Mode!".

During up-dating (approximately in 2 hours) the computer was accidental switched off. Clicking on 7-8, 9-10, 6-12. Does not help. Maybe who knows that designates in the upper corner ":0"

On 1/6/2023 at 8:54 PM, RSB70 said:

In case of up-dating from version 2.92 on Line6 Helix LT version 3.50 turned into a brick.

When loading the Line6 Helix LT window shows in the upper left corner ":0" and "Firmware Version 3.50.0". After that shows "Boot Failure, to Entered Update Mode!".

During up-dating (approximately in 2 hours) the computer was accidental switched off. Clicking on 7-8, 9-10, 6-12. Does not help. Maybe who knows that designates in the upper corner ":0"

It’s not just holding down the footswitches - you have to hold them down while powering up. Hold down FS6 & FS12 while powering up to put the unit into Update Mode. Use Line 6 Updater to do the update.

On 1/7/2023 at 2:54 AM, RSB70 said:

Hi,

AFAIK There is no such thing as “accidentally switched off”, and I have been around here quite a while!

If you have a failed update - go here and follow the instructions to the letter!

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• 2 months later...

None of this helps my unit at all.  Brand new, straight out of the box, fresh downloads of Line 6 drivers - all first time stuff...  Started the update, hit 50% in moments and froze there for about 10 minutes and then the HX Edit told me that the update failed and I needed to power the unit down, close the Edit and start over again.  I did all of that and my Helix LT is stuck with the following code in the upper left corner of the display: :-7 and a message that reads "Updating UI MCU Firmware, please wait. Do not power off the unit!"  When I read the message shown me via HX Edit about update failure and what-not, it took me a few minutes to decide to follow those instructions, given that the Helix told me to not turn it off...  Anyway, the unit is stuck as-is and NOTHING will change it.  The Line 6 drivers will not recognise it when connected and the display will not change.  What the hell is going on with this $1200 piece of lollipop and how the hell do I fix it?!?!?
I even tried the "Helix/HX Update Doesn't Work? Look Here!" bit and NOTHING changes / everything stays the very same as I've described above.

H E L P !

unnamed.jpg

On 3/11/2023 at 2:54 AM, aholst said:

What the hell is going on with this $1200 piece of lollipop and how the hell do I fix it?!?!?
I even tried the "Helix/HX Update Doesn't Work? Look Here!" bit and NOTHING changes / everything stays the very same as I've described above.

Hi,

Well, the short answer to What the hell is going on with this $1200 piece of lollipop?”, is you probably failed to follow the instructions to the letter! The info about “Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!” is fully documented in the Release Notes for the firmware. You will also note that when you use bad language in these forums your attempt will be substituted by a much nicer word - lollipop! No sh!t.

Quote:

Helix Floor/Rack/LT only: Halfway through the update to 3.50, Helix's LCD reads "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!" THIS IS NORMAL. Breathe deep, everything is fine. You're almost there.

You also state that you have tried the solution provided by other users to assist with a failed update, without success. Hmm… well, once again, this seems to work for the majority of people who follow the instructions precisely! 

Furthermore when seeking assistance from other users, it’s a great help if you provide details of your computer and operating system. You are dealing with software, and in the great scheme of things, if it doesn’t work first time try, and try again. It’s all too easy to overlook one tiny bit of the process when you are over excited. Calm down at take it step by step, and as noted above - breathe deep!

BTW: Other than the very detailed user group solution "Helix/HX Update Doesn't Work? Look Here!" - this is the official Line 6 advice:

If this doesn’t work, then simply raise a ticket with Customer Support - or even better, as your unit is box fresh, return it to the place you bought it for a replacement under warranty. It should also provide them with a good laugh, unless it has actually blown a component, or being taken over by aliens.

• 4 months later...

I just bought a used Helix LT and wanted to do a factory reset to restore all original presets as well as global settings.  However, when I tried researching how to do it, they all give some combination of floor switches #8, #9 or #7, #8 to press on startup.  The problem is, I only have 4 switches labeled A, B, C or D.  What am I missing?  

• 6 months later...
On 1/15/2020 at 9:12 PM, Amirarieli said:

hello,i did an update to my helix and went to sleep whan  i wake up i saw that my computer run out of battery,now whan i turn it on its in boot failure and every time i try to a factory reset its come back to the boot failure.help please

I am stuck in the same boat pls help

On 2/21/2024 at 2:16 PM, vglicaros18 said:

I am stuck in the same boat pls help

Oh, here we go once again - another first time “me too” post with absolutely no pertinent information included, other than a quote from someone who made a single post 4 years back. Very helpful.

When seeking assistance from other users it is a big help to know exactly what your computer and operating system are, plus what Line 6 HX device your are updating along with which version of the firmware you had installed.

It is rather tedious to keep typing the same information over, and over within the same thread, not to mention the many other times it has been re-stated over several years of these “firmware bricked my Helix” posts - it’s software, simply reinstall, while following all the instructions to the letter. Do not let your computer go to sleep, or lose focus during the update.

Furthermore, I must assume that you have read through all the solutions offered here without success, generally they usually fix these issues. If that is the case, and you have failed to restore your hardware, then your only option is to raise a ticket with Customer Support. 

On 7/23/2023 at 10:46 PM, kimsplus said:

I just bought a used Helix LT and wanted to do a factory reset to restore all original presets as well as global settings.  However, when I tried researching how to do it, they all give some combination of floor switches #8, #9 or #7, #8 to press on startup.  The problem is, I only have 4 switches labeled A, B, C or D.  What am I missing?  

IGNORE all of the labels under the switches. They have nothing to do with the instructions you were given. You have 12 switches total on the Helix LT. 6 on top, 6 on the bottom. 9 & 10 are the two middle switches on the bottom. Or count 1-6 on top, then 7-8-9 & 10. Hope this makes sense. They are also the switches labelled B & C but on the bottom row.

• Upvote 1

On 7/24/2023 at 6:46 AM, kimsplus said:

What am I missing?  

Hi,

As the new owner of a Helix LT, you might want to familiarise yourself with all the main functions and options by downloading and reading the Owner’s Manual.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a41edfe64823e79e9cdc/application/pdf/Helix LT 3.0 Owner's Manual - English .pdf

Your Reset options are given in the above post from @brue58ski, also this is a good resource for anyone new to Helix family devices.

https://helixhelp.com