Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ux2 - Podfarm Mic Preamps On/off

I've had my UX2 for a few years, but haven't really used it much except as a practice tool. But because I've got some demos I want to record, I thought I would experiment with the best ways to record vox and acoustic guitar. So today I played around with a few different mics I have (condenser and dynamic) to record an acoustic guitar and was generally pleased with the results. What surprised me (I guess) was the tones were much better when I turned off all the effects--except the Noise Gate--from the PodFarm. The different amps/preamps from the Podfarm did nothing good. Wondering if this is normal or what settings others use for recording acoustic guitar. 

Peace,

If you've got a decent selection of plug-ins for your DAW, you really do not need to record anything but the dry signal, and then add effects like compression, EQ, reverb, etc. as post processing.

I've used PF's vocal pre-amps in the past for recording acoustic guitar with decent results, but as my mixing skills get better, I find I prefer to record dry and add processing on the back end.

The exception is if your MIC or guitar isn't hot enough to give enough recorded dB level.  In that case, boosting the signal with the +18 dB button on the PF mixer might be in order.

Some folks like to record both the processed and unprocessed sends simultaneously on separate tracks, which I'll usually do for recording electric guitar.

Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of sending wet/dry when recording. When I was playing around today, the sounds I liked best came when I recorded stereo with a condenser mic (Carvin) and my SM-57. I panned them hard right and left and kind of dug that. I recorded dry and added effects with Reaper (just a splash of Comp and EQ).

Peace,

Bruce