Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Custom (variax ) Model Name shows on Helix, not in HXEdit

Indianrock2020

First it was fretting (forgive the pun) over recessed power cable pins, and now this... and I thought I was having a rough week.  ;)

Dude, relax...if you dig around long enough, you'll find some minor issue or insignificant quirk with everything you own. If it's not affecting how anything functions, then let it go...

1 hour ago, Indianrock2020 said:

Has anyone else noticed that if you set a custom name for a variax model in Workbench, the Helix onboard screen shows that but HXedit continues to show something like Custom_4  etc ?

That's true and has been true ever since the Variax came out. I'm not sure if it's a legal issue (like why can't I personally be allowed to rename the effects and amps to what I want. I'm assuming it's a legal issue but if it is, it's ridiculous) but it's never been different. I hate it and wish it would be changed. I always have to keep a list of what I did to the models. I maybe get why it is that way with the named models but why can't I at least see what I called the guitars in the Custom banks. Anyone know the real reason why we can't see the Variax models we named. And why we can't be allowed to rename the amps and FX in the Helix?

6 minutes ago, Indianrock2020 said:

The custom-name guitar model does show on the Helix screen, fortunately.   Why that isn't reflected in HX edit I have no idea.

No kidding. I always use HX edit so I never noticed. Now I REALLY want to know why I can't see them in HX Edit.

• 5 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Indianrock2020 said:

I posted this on Helix bug reports and opened a ticket on it.

WorkbenchCapture.PNG

I wouldn't say it's a bug but I'm confused. Was your first post referring to HX Edit or Workbench HD? It says HX Edit but he pic you attached is from Workbench HD. I got the impression that it was HX Edit that you were referring to. If it is then it's not a bug. It is performing the way it was programmed to. It would be an ideascale item. That's where you can post your suggestions (ideas) about what you would want to see in various Line 6 products.

The photo was added to the ticket because on the first go-round, support misunderstood the issue.   The only place there is a problem ( (call it a bug, call it poor planning, whatever ) is in HXEdit.  Since the Helix device itself is showing the customized/personalized variax model name, HXEdit should also.  For those of us who do 99% of our patch programming in HXEdit, it's just a hassle to have to view the Helix itself to confirm we're choosing the correct variax guitar model ( e.g. JoeCustomStrat ) because HXedit keeps showing  Custom 1-3 etc.

If you renamed a shapshot to  BigChorus and HXedit showed it as "Snapshot 1" default name, you wouldn't be happy.

39 minutes ago, Indianrock2020 said:

The photo was added to the ticket because on the first go-round, support misunderstood the issue.   The only place there is a problem ( (call it a bug, call it poor planning, whatever ) is in HXEdit.  Since the Helix device itself is showing the customized/personalized variax model name, HXEdit should also.  For those of us who do 99% of our patch programming in HXEdit, it's just a hassle to have to view the Helix itself to confirm we're choosing the correct variax guitar model ( e.g. JoeCustomStrat ) because HXedit keeps showing  Custom 1-3 etc.

If you renamed a shapshot to  BigChorus and HXedit showed it as "Snapshot 1" default name, you wouldn't be happy.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with your assessment. I think it's ridiculous to allow me to name the guitars in the Variax with Workbench HD and only be able to see them in Workbench HD. I only fire up Workbench HD if I'm creating a new guitar which is rarely. I certainly don't fire it up everytime I program the Helix or use HX Edit and don't want to. So it does me only a little good to rename them. But, again, it's been that way ever since the Variax has been around, in all their amp sim incarnations.

1 hour ago, Indianrock2020 said:

Again, you can see the re-named models on the Helix onboard screen.  But not in HXedit.

Yeah. Since they are there, it shouldn't be that big of a problem to make them appear in HX Edit I would think. Again they haven't before but they haven't had the custom names in the previous hardware before either where as now they do. Maybe it will be in a future update. I hope so. I'm definitely all in on this one.