Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anybody ever upgrade the tremolo on a JTV-69?

Was wondering if it's possible to upgrade the tremolo - possibly including saddles - and trem block on my JTV-69. 

Has anybody ever done this?  What was your experience and what does one need to know?

Those little piezos seem to be the spoiler - can you use any (as long as you connect to the circuitboard mounted on the existing trem block), or does it have to be the ones installed by Line6 in the guitar? 

Thanks in advance.

I won't say it's impossible, but it's most likely gonna be a whole lot more trouble than it's worth. I recall a few guys around here having replaced the piezos with Graphtec Ghost saddles, but as I think they were used with the existing bridge. Unless you're really handy with a soldering iron, it's a lot of surgery for what'll be very little (if any)  payoff. 

The impedance may be different, and the circuitry will response in kind.

That may have an affect on the output signal. You may or may not like the results.

Depends on who's piezos and what the specs are. This system is optimized for

dealing with the piezos that are in them.

I put a Super-Vee Mag-Lock on my Variax Standard and JTV-69S. The reason is that I’m an occasional tremolo user, but prefer a hard tail so then bends on one string have no effect on other strings. My Strat Delixe has a Hipshot Tremsettter and I really like it on that guitar.

The Mag-Lock works well on the JTV-69S. It makes the tremolo bar a little stiff, but I don’t mind that. If you really like smooth, easy tremolo, this probably isn’t for you.

It doesn’t work as well on the Standard because it trends to exaggerate the play in the tremolo bar. You’ll need more plumber’s tape, and will need to change it more often.

• 5 weeks later...