Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Neck thickness

• 1 year later...

How is the Shriken's neck compared to the other Variax necks?   I like the idea of the technology, but I hear that the guitars are too heavy and the necks are too thick.  It would be nice to have a table somewhere with the weights of the various models, along with neck thicknesses.  I know I can move the electronics to another guitar, but I would prefer to avoid that.  Thanks.

6 hours ago, jon_bondy said:

How is the Shriken's neck compared to the other Variax necks?

Better to ask this one in the Shuriken forum.

I like the idea of the technology, but I hear that the guitars are too heavy and the necks are too thick.  It would be nice to have a table somewhere with the weights of the various models, along with neck thicknesses.

Never seen one anywhere... and as for the neck dimensions, published specs rarely have anything but the width at the nut anyway. The 69's neck is narrower at the nut than your typical Strat. If you've got big hands, you may find open position chords to be a pain in the a$$, as the string spacing is a bit tight down there. Fortunately, any Strat replacement neck will fit the pocket. Some mods will be required to accommodate the offset mounting holes, but this is minor and easily done by any competent tech/luthier.

I know I can move the electronics to another guitar, but I would prefer to avoid that.  Thanks.

This is a whole lot easier said than done... don't plan on this as a viable option. It's major surgery for any guitar body you'd choose to stuff the guts into, and it wouldn't be cheap unless you have the tools/skills and intend to do it yourself.

I have a JTV 59. I like the feel of an unfinished neck better though. So I had the neck sanded down and reshaped to something a little more comfortable for me. 

I’m lucky to have a guy in my neighborhood who builds guitars for some pretty famous dudes. Anyway, a good luthier could do the job without a problem and it’s not too costly.   I bought mine secondhand though, so no warranty issues for me. 

• Like 1