Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects output to PA System using Amp

Jasonbrianmerrill

Is it possible to have an FX loop AND send the preamp signal mixed with a cab impulse to a PA? 

So, for instance - 

you have a drive, a delay, and a comp going into the front.

Next, you have an fx loop which has a reverb and a univibe on it.

After that, you take the sound and send it to a PA with a cab impulse?

Or is it easier just to mic it ;) 

1 hour ago, Jasonbrianmerrill said:

So this would have the 

drive/delay/comp coming through the amp

as well as

the reverb and univibe hitting the amp (after the fx loops)

and then have all of it plus a cab impulse sent to the PA? 

No. The reverb and univibe come AFTER the amp. Keep in mind that you're only getting the PREAMP portion of your amp. If you want the sound of your amp's POWER amp in the PA, you'll need to get one of the reactive load type boxes, such as "Universal Audio OX Reactive Amp Attenuator with Speaker Modeling" ($1299). You leave off the HX Impulse, send the HX OUT to your amp's FX Return, and put the box between your Power amp and speaker You can then use the impulses in the box for the PA, and your guitar amp speaker cab for stage monitoring at whatever volume you need, with full crank tone. 

This is the PRO way to go. It's WAY expensive, but allows total control over the whole signal chain. You could just mic your amp. But, how loud do you need to get your amp in order to hit the "sweet spot"? Will the neighbors call the cops? Will the bar owner pull your plug? Between the OX BOX, your HX and your amp, you've got a very expensive rig with lots of pieces to carry around and setup/tear down.

Or, you could return the HXFX in trade for a full Helix and forget the real guitar amp.

In the immortal words of the great philosopher Fee Waybill:

"What do you want from life? Well, you can't have that. BUT - If you are an American Citizen, you ARE entitled to...........and, a baby's arm holding an apple!"

• Upvote 1

Just had a thought... would this work?

Guitar - Comp/Drive/Delay - (input to preamp) 

simultaneously we have to FX loop being used Univibe and Reverb - which is sending from the HX to the amp, and back. 

What if, after it came back, I split into another fx path to a cab impulse and send that to the PA? Can you do something like that? 

It really might just be easier to keep micing my amp haha

When I found out HX had cab impulses, I wondered....

4 hours ago, rd2rk said:

"What do you want from life? Well, you can't have that. BUT - If you are an American Citizen, you ARE entitled to...........and, a baby's arm holding an apple!"

Filling in the dots...

A heated kidney shaped pool, a microwave oven
Don't watch the food cook
A Dyna-Gym, I'll personally demonstrate it
In the privacy of your own home
A king size Titanic unsinkable
Molly Brown water bed with polybendum

A foolproof plan and an airtight alibi
Real simulated Indian jewelry
A Gucci shoetree, a year's supply of antibiotics
A personally autographed picture of Randy Mantooth
And Bob Dylan's new unlisted phone number
A beautifully restored 3rd Reich swizzle stick
Rosemary's baby
A dream date in kneepads with Paul Williams

A new Matador, a new mastodon, a Maverick
A Mustang, a Montego, a Merc Montclair
A Mark IV, a meteor, a Mercedes, an MG
Or a Malibu, a Mort Moriarty, a Maserati
A Mac truck, a Mazda, a new Monza, or a moped
A Winnebago, hell, a herd of Winnebagos
We're giving 'em away
Or how about a McCulloch chainsaw

A Las Vegas wedding, a Mexican divorce
A solid gold Kama Sutra coffee pot
Or a baby's arm holding an apple?

20 minutes ago, Jasonbrianmerrill said:

you all can't be so incredibly oversensitive that you think me simply asking if this item can do something means that I don't appreciate how awesome it is... Yre joshin' right?

We just goofin' on ya!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Filling in the dots...

A heated kidney shaped pool, a microwave oven
Don't watch the food cook
A Dyna-Gym, I'll personally demonstrate it
In the privacy of your own home
A king size Titanic unsinkable
Molly Brown water bed with polybendum

A foolproof plan and an airtight alibi
Real simulated Indian jewelry
A Gucci shoetree, a year's supply of antibiotics
A personally autographed picture of Randy Mantooth
And Bob Dylan's new unlisted phone number
A beautifully restored 3rd Reich swizzle stick
Rosemary's baby
A dream date in kneepads with Paul Williams

A new Matador, a new mastodon, a Maverick
A Mustang, a Montego, a Merc Montclair
A Mark IV, a meteor, a Mercedes, an MG
Or a Malibu, a Mort Moriarty, a Maserati
A Mac truck, a Mazda, a new Monza, or a moped
A Winnebago, hell, a herd of Winnebagos
We're giving 'em away
Or how about a McCulloch chainsaw

A Las Vegas wedding, a Mexican divorce
A solid gold Kama Sutra coffee pot
Or a baby's arm holding an apple?

I saw the Tubes live back in the 80s when I lived in SF. Totally hysterical! They'd be SO not PC today! Also saw Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys. Talk about not PC! Good Times!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

I saw the Tubes live back in the 80s when I lived in SF. Totally hysterical! They'd be SO not PC today! Also saw Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys. Talk about not PC! Good Times!

Ha ha ha!

Classic stuff.

Oh, yeah - even earlier - Shel Silverstein and his material done by Dr Hook and The Medicine Show.

Not sure they could get away with that stuff now., e.g. “Don’t give a dose to the one you love most” - a love song with a message.

And how about his friend David Allan Coe? Nuff said!

2 hours ago, Jasonbrianmerrill said:

Just had a thought... would this work?

Guitar - Comp/Drive/Delay - (input to preamp) 

simultaneously we have to FX loop being used Univibe and Reverb - which is sending from the HX to the amp, and back. 

What if, after it came back, I split into another fx path to a cab impulse and send that to the PA? Can you do something like that? 

It really might just be easier to keep micing my amp haha

When I found out HX had cab impulses, I wondered....

Guitar => HX IN => HX Comp/Drive => HX Loop1 Send => Amp Input => Amp FX Send => HX Loop1 Return => HX Univibe/Delay/Reverb => SPLIT =>

=> PATH A => IR => HX FX Send 2 PA                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    => PATH B => HX OUT => Amp FX Return

That might work! I don't have a HX FX, I have the full floor model, so maybe someone who has an HX FX could chime in?

• Upvote 1

Guitar => HX IN => HX Comp/Drive => HX Loop1 Send => Amp Input => Amp FX Send => HX Loop1 Return => HX Univibe/Delay/Reverb => SPLIT =>

=> PATH A => IR => HX FX Send 2 => PA                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   => PATH B => HX OUT => Amp FX Return

That might work! I don't have a HX FX, I have the full floor model, so maybe someone who has an HX FX could chime in?

Formatting in this reply box is SUCH a PITA!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

You will loose stereo depth doing that and also the parallel B route!

To avoid this, after few experiments, I ended up with the following solution - you can apply this only if you have a Line OUT in your amp (or something like Torpedo Captor or DI box between your head and cab):

Guitar => HX IN => HX Comp/Drive => HX Loop1 Send => Amp Input => Amp FX Send => HX Loop1 Return => HX Chorus/Noise Gate/etc blocks => HX Loop 2 Send => Ampf FX Return

Amp Line OUT (or Torpedo Captor or something similar) => HX Loop 2 Return => HX IR Loader Block here/Delay/Reverb => HX OUT Stereo => PA

In this way you can also have some blocks in the loop of the amp (so you can hear that) and using the IR just after the HX Loop2 block you can feed the PA with stereo signals.

• 6 months later...

Im new to all this, but i tried the same thing last night. While experimenting with the ir on the hx fx before and after the fx loop block my ear tells me it sounds better in the fx loop (after ther block) but im not sure how a good ir sounds. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

what im getting at mainly is that i have a d.i. Out of my amp ( xlr to board)

it sounds pretty awesome i mean it definitely colors it like a speaker and has that punch to it vs the flat di tone.

am i doing it wrong?

Should i be splitting it somehow as suggested and go directly from the hx fx to the mixer?

this is all pretty confusing 

On 10/18/2018 at 7:45 AM, ivanmongiardo said:

You will loose stereo depth doing that and also the parallel B route!

To avoid this, after few experiments, I ended up with the following solution - you can apply this only if you have a Line OUT in your amp (or something like Torpedo Captor or DI box between your head and cab):

Guitar => HX IN => HX Comp/Drive => HX Loop1 Send => Amp Input => Amp FX Send => HX Loop1 Return => HX Chorus/Noise Gate/etc blocks => HX Loop 2 Send => Ampf FX Return

Amp Line OUT (or Torpedo Captor or something similar) => HX Loop 2 Return => HX IR Loader Block here/Delay/Reverb => HX OUT Stereo => PA

In this way you can also have some blocks in the loop of the amp (so you can hear that) and using the IR just after the HX Loop2 block you can feed the PA with stereo signals.

i just saw this! Does this make it so the ir is not coming through the amp as well?

are you still able to use proper 4cm?