Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firmware 2.23 jtv

Updates for JTV or other Variax guitars' firmware is not currently possible with the helix. Until line6 make it possible, you'll need to use the USB interface or an HD 500 or 500x if you have it.  That's how I do them. The work bench HD works fine for adjusting JTV models,but that was an update to the helix and the software that took a year or two to happen. 

• Thanks 1

Gee, a 'new' JTV firmware update! (released without fanfare -- not even a suppressed fart -- in April of this year) Did I miss a relevant discussion of this on the forum? Nope.

Would be nice if there were some type of presence on this forum to announce the availability of new versions. Or maybe send an email -- they're great about sending emails trying to get us to by the newest gewgaw...

So I went to the downloads page to check, and learned that the previous version, 2.22, released in 2017 affords us the following spectacular updated experience:

" Users of JTV and Variax standard guitars will see not difference in functionality other than version number."

Sorry I missed that one! But this new one promises... well, it promises....

EXACTLY NOTHING.

Here's a direct quote from the support page:

Compatible OS: Mac OS X, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Mac OS El Capitan, macOS Sierra, macOS High Sierra

( 456 KB ) 

Wow -- be still, my beating heart!!! This is gotta be the GREATEST FIRMWARE UPDATE EVER!

After all, it's 456 KB!!!!

Just like all the others...

Pathetic support, Line 6. You're making it hard to believe in you anymore.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, cbrillow said:

Gee, a 'new' JTV firmware update! (released without fanfare -- not even a suppressed fart -- in April of this year) Did I miss a relevant discussion of this on the forum? Nope.

Would be nice if there were some type of presence on this forum to announce the availability of new versions. Or maybe send an email -- they're great about sending emails trying to get us to by the newest gewgaw...

So I went to the downloads page to check, and learned that the previous version, 2.22, released in 2017 affords us the following spectacular updated experience:

EXACTLY NOTHING.

Wow -- be still, my beating heart!!! This is gotta be the GREATEST FIRMWARE UPDATE EVER!

How, exactly, has Line 6 hurt you?

I think the only thing the 2.23 firmware did was make it so the Shuriken model names show up correctly on the Helix.

• Thanks 1

"I think the only thing the 2.23 firmware did was make it so the Shuriken model names show up correctly on the Helix. "---

And displaying in Workbench HD.

cbrillow,... It's in the notes at the bottom of the Monkey window when you click on it before downloading.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, psarkissian said:

"I think the only thing the 2.23 firmware did was make it so the Shuriken model names show up correctly on the Helix. "---

And displaying in Workbench HD.

cbrillow,... It's in the notes at the bottom of the Monkey window when you click on it before downloading.

Thank you. I generally try to learn what a given update is supposed to do before deciding whether it's worth the risk. After a $110 failed Amplifi 150  firmware update, I'm a little gun-shy...

8 hours ago, cbrillow said:

EXACTLY NOTHING.

The JTV flag has been flying at half-mast for quite some time now, and it shouldn't be a surprise. They debuted 8 years ago...at this point, they are what they are. What exactly do you expect? In today's tech world, it's the equivalent of something carved into a cave wall by a Neanderthal named Ugh. If you want something that'll be supported forever, buy a Zippo...

On 9/4/2018 at 11:00 PM, cruisinon2 said:

What exactly do you expect?

I expect nothing, so there's seldom disappointment when nothing is offered.

However, given that Line 6 apparently went to the trouble of releasing a new firmware version, it would be nice if customers were notified of its availability. 

On 9/4/2018 at 6:05 PM, psarkissian said:

Understand.

Nice thing about Monkey is the update notes at the bottom, it give a quick run down on that.

Since it's an update, deeper notes are also found in the Downloads page here in the Support link as well.

Again, thank you for your comment.

I wouldn't have been inclined to connect my aging JTV to Monkey to see if updates were available, but will keep this in mind in the future.

I don't see any 'deeper notes' on the Downloads page, which is one of the reasons I spoke out. Had there been an adequate description of the new firmware, I'd have remained silent. And appreciative. 

Downloads.PNG

• 1 year later...

I used my old 500X to do the update on an older Mac OS.  (El Capitan).  Worked.  had to do quite a few updates to the 500x first before the Variax was recognized. 

Get it together Line 6.  This lollipop should work in the 1600 Dollar Helix!!!!!!!!

Mike 

39 minutes ago, mducsak said:

I used my old 500X to do the update on an older Mac OS.  (El Capitan).  Worked.  had to do quite a few updates to the 500x first before the Variax was recognized. 

Get it together Line 6.  This lollipop should work in the 1600 Dollar Helix!!!!!!!!

Mike 

Well, the issue is simply that Line 6 Monkey is now obsolete software, more or less. Not really sure why this warrants this amount of anger...