Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume drop with 4CM

rwinking

New to Helix but not Line 6. I have the Helix rack and finally got it running....sort of.....in doing 4CM i have my amps preamp in the loop but there is a big big volume drop. The tone is coming thorough but at the volume I have the preamp set at, I should not be able to be in the same room with it. Is there a master somewhere I am missing?

Also I put the FX loop block on and can use FX before the loop but nothing is coming out after. eg. Comp->Distortion->loop-> delay-> etc....everything works up to the loop but nothing after.

As usual, I am willing to bet there is something really simple going on that I am missing.

thanks

rick

Also if it's not bypassed check the global loop setting- I can't remember whether instrument or line is louder, you could try both. I remember having the same issue when I first went to 4cm & it was one or the other. There are level adjustments for the loop but IIRC that wasn't necessary after I set it up correctly. 

No. So I have the volume drop with the loop on but the preamp in my amp is definitely working, just low volume and nothing after the loop comes through. When I do bypass the loop, it then bypasses my preamp and all of the FX after the loop come through.

I figured it may have something to do with this.The big master volume knob has no effect on anything. I thought that maybe it was for XLR outs only. I am doing 4CM so I do use the 1/4 “ out but the master does nothing. Is there some internal way of turning it on or off? man ....so close....and yet so far away.

So I checked and when I have the loop bypassed, I get the FX all going straight to the power section. When i do this, the volume knob works. When I engage the loop all of the FX after do not work and the volume knob is disabled.

Someone asked what the outputs are set to. Where is that located? In global settings? It seems that since it does work when the loop is not engaged, it must be set to the 1/4".

In your preset are you using a combined send/return block or separate send and return blocks?

Very strange....if the Helix master volume doesn't work when the loop is on then it means the signal is not returning properly from the amp send to the Helix return.

But as the volume is really low when you engage the loop it also sounds like the signal is not getting to the amp input properly either. 

With the helix loop engaged try unplugging the Helix loop send and plug your guitar straight into the front of your amp instead and let us know what difference that makes.

Also try unplugging all cables except the helix loop send to the amp front input...with your guitar in the input of the helix this should sound exactly the same as just plugging the guitar into the amp. (the helix master volume will have no effect here). 

Hopefully this will narrow things down a bit.

pp67's ideas are great, hopefully you'll be up & running in no time. If not, a screen shot in HX edit or a pix uploaded of your signal view screen might shed some light.

You haven't mentioned noise with 4cm but I had it & a hum eliminator in the Helix send to the amp input took care of it.

Let us know when you get it worked out!

Yeah, I have noise and the ground lift on the Helix doesn't help. I have had the same issue using the Digitech GSP1101 but just like the Helix, it only happens with certain amps and not others. I used an ART CoolSwitch Pro between the Helix and the Return on the amp and it works. The amp I am currently learning the Helix with is a Jaded Faith modded Randall RM20. There is still a little noise, but I think that is being caused by having the Helix directly on top of the amp without it being in a rack.

I unplug the Helix and the amp is really loud. As soon as I plug it in the volume drop. I will try it running direct to the amp like a normal pedal board large tonight and see what happens. I think it will work and I am suspecting something with the loop is the problem.

So it is now working beautifully. I started over and re-plugged everything in and now it is fine. It only took seven hours to get there and I swear I did not change anything!

I am using a separate send and return. Can I just use the single send/return block? I am afraid to change anything as it is working.

I am really liking the sounds. As I said, I had a POD HD500X and an M13 and liked them but the sounds on the Helix are so much more present..