Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2 Stereo Paths - 1 For Mag - 1 For Piezo

lipbeats

Hello, 

I've been searching the forums for an answer and can't quite seem to find what im looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a guitar with a graphtech ghost piezo system installed. The 1/4" jack is a stereo jack.

I'm wanting to run one stereo guitar cable out to a Ernie Ball pan pedal. 

One out of the pan pedal goes to the POD HD500. The other out goes to a Fishman Aura Spectrum pedal.

The out of the Fishman Aura pedal would go back into the HD500 mic input or into the AUX in...either one...the aura has a xlr out and a 1/4" out.

Wanting it this way so that I can pan back and forth between the mag and piezo sound, and have the outs of the HD500 go stereo into a Boss RC300 loopstation.

My problem is...Can i have 2 stereo paths for both the mag side and the piezo side?

So that either my nasty distorted tone, or my clean acoustic tone come out of BOTH Left and Right outs of the HD 500.

I really want both mag and piezo to be stereo. I know that most of the time the acoustic will be a "mono sound", but i may want to play with stereo FX on the piezo side.

I keep reading posts where people say to pan hard left and hard right to get two tones, but I want both of my tones to stay stereo.

So input 1 would go to one stereo path with it's own set of FX, and input 2 would go to it's own stereo path, with it's own FX, and the Ernie Ball Pan pedal to pan between the two inputs to get from one tone to another or a mix, in stereo.

hope that makes sense.

The HD500 has a stereo path.  Emphasis on "a."  One.  I'm not sure you're going to be able to do what you want if you are dead set on the piezo sound ever going through the HD500.  I believe a bit of lateral thinking is necessary to achieve what you want - tell me, what exactly is the end result you want?  What instrument will be going through what speakers, for example.  Perhaps if you think about the end result we can construct a signal path to achieve it.

The end result depends on if I'm using my Boss-RC300 loopstation or not....but i think it would be set up the same way in the hd500 regardless of which way im using it, if its possible to do what i want.

If I am using the loopstation, then the result is to have the left and right out on the hd500 go into the left and right in on the rc300. And then the L/R out of the loopstation goes to the house PA

If im not using the loopstation, then the outputs of the hd500 would be going to two tech 21 power engine 60 amps.

Left out to one power engine 60 and the right to another power engine 60. that way my stereo effects sound great coming out of two amps.

But i want the piezo sound to come out of those same two amps.

So i would have a stereo cable coming out the guitar to a pan pedal. The pan pedal has two outs. one side would be the mags, one side the piezo.

I want to plug the mag side into the guitar in, and the piezo side into the aux in.

So that's my input 1 and input 2. 

I wanted input 1 to have its own set of effects, and input 2 to have a different set of effects.

Here is an example to work with...

Let's say I want one sound to be distorted with a leslie rotating speaker effect out of my two amps....so it needs to be stereo out of my hd500 to two amps.

But i may want to pan from that sound to my piezo sound. but i want that piezo sound to come out of both amps as well...but clean without the leslie effect.

Here is a youtube vid of a guy doing what i want to do. only he is using a tc nova system and a parker fly.

around 2:40 in the vid he starts showing how he changes from piezo and electric sounds, and at 3:10 you can hear him using a pan pedal to slowly go from a acoustic sound into a distorted tone..all in stereo.

his setup is a bit different since he is using two pedals..and he is taking advantage of the tech 21 amp having 1/4" ins and XLR ins.

The HD500 has a stereo path.  Emphasis on "a."  One.  ...

That's true at the output stage - the HD500 has two L/R outputs (1/4" and XLR) but both carry the same (i.e. a single) stereo signal.

However, internally the HD500 has the ability to carry and independently process two stereo paths - Path A and Path B. These can be, but are not necessarily, mapped directly to Input 1 and Input 2. These are summed into a single stereo output at the final stage.

• Upvote 1

That's true at the output stage - the HD500 has two L/R outputs (1/4" and XLR) but both carry the same (i.e. a single) stereo signal.

However, internally the HD500 has the ability to carry and independently process two stereo paths - Path A and Path B. These can be, but are not necessarily, mapped directly to Input 1 and Input 2. These are summed into a single stereo output at the final stage.

So your saying i can have input 1 mapped to path A and have input 2 mapped to path B?

It's fine to be summed into a single stereo output at the final stage...that's what i want. 

That way if no signal is doing to input 1, then all i get is input 2 sounds, and vice versa.

But as i pan with my ernie ball pan pedal, it is gradually panning between the two sounds.

So your saying i can accomplish this?

So your saying i can have input 1 mapped to path A and have input 2 mapped to path B?

Yes. To do this you must create a dual-path preset with no Amp or FX appearing before the path split. Here is a sample preset that I posted in Customtone some time ago, designed for an acoustic guitar and a mic/vocal:

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/215659

Of course you will need to customize the Inputs, the Amp/FX selection in the paths, and perhaps the Mixer panning. The important part is to NOT put anything before or after the path split. This will keep the processing of your 2 inputs completely separate and independent.

Please come back with more questions if this doesn't help you do what you want.