Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connecting Pod Hd 500 To Amplifier

Raphael26

Hello, 

i'm trying connect my pod hd 500 to amp with the method that my amp supports.

My amp have INPUT and OUTPUT.

I notice that impossible use the 4 cable method, right?! 

Can someone help me please, with the best method to connect?

Cheers

Hello, 

i'm trying connect my pod hd 500 to amp with the method that my amp supports.

My amp have INPUT and OUTPUT.

I notice that impossible use the 4 cable method, right?! 

Can someone help me please, with the best method to connect?

Cheers

I think for your set-up the HD500 output setting would be "Stack Front". What kind of Amplifier are you using? If your set-up is a stack make sure you have your amp output going into the correctly (ohm load) rated speaker.

This is my Basic set-up;

1. Guitar into HD500 Guitar input
  2. HD500 Left Output into Spider Jam Amplifier Input or Aux.

Settings I use;

1. HD500 Output set-up "Combo Front", Focus at 670Hz, Lows & Highs set to FLAT.
  2. The attachment below is part of the Pod HD500 Advanced Guide. I suggest you study it from time to time.

I set the Spider Jam Amp to a clean channel with the tone stack knobs all at 12 O'clock, The drive I play around with. I put the master volume on the Amp at 12 O'clock also. These settings are not set in stone, They are just what I use as a "Base". Once that is set I make all other adjustments from the HD500. One important thing, I always start with the HD500 Master at 0 so that I can adjust without causing unintentional damage to my Amplifier's Speaker. I usually end up with the HD500 master volume at around 9 O'clock - Full open.

Hope this helps, If I think of something I may have missed I'll edit this post. Always ask questions that's how you learn.

• Upvote 2

I think for your set-up the HD500 output setting would be "Stack Front". What kind of Amplifier are you using?

This is my Basic set-up;

1. Guitar into HD500 Guitar input
  2. HD500 Left Output into Spider Jam Amplifier Input or Aux.

Settings I use;

1. HD500 Output set-up "Combo Front", Focus at 670Hz, Lows & Highs set to FLAT.
  2. The attachment below is part of the Pod HD500 Advanced Guide. I suggest you study it from time to time.

attachicon.gifHD500 2.8.JPG

I set the Spider Jam Amp to a clean channel with the tone stack knobs all at 12 O'clock, The drive I play around with. I put the master volume on the Amp at 12 O'clock also. These settings are not set in stone, They are just what I use as a "Base". Once that is set I make all other adjustments from the HD500. One important thing, I always start with the HD500 Master at 0 so that I can adjust without causing unintentional damage to my Amplifier's Speaker. I usually end up with the HD500 master volume at around 9 O'clock - Full open.

Hope this helps, If I think of something I may have missed I'll edit this post. Always ask questions that's how you learn.

http://www.google.com.br/imgres?imgurl=http://images.quebarato.com.br/T75x75/amplificador%2Bmeteoro%2Batomic%2Bdrive%2B20w%2Brio%2Bde%2Bjaneiro%2Brj%2Bbrasil__1BC2EB_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://rj.quebarato.com.br/rio-de-janeiro/amplificador-meteoro-atomic-drive-20w__1BC2EB.html&h=330&w=440&sz=96&tbnid=ebmdWpcRSo44fM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&zoom=1&usg=__22MitjVtcT7f0ge1veByZPn1u9k=&docid=BCCcakyE65k-VM&sa=X&ei=fEhxUoPRIMaukAecjIDgDg&ved=0CFEQ9QEwBQ - this is the amp (only INPUT (left) and OUTPUT (right). 

So, i do this basic setup here with my amp, but the sounds like very bad. I don't known if less some configurations in amp, like drive, bass, middle to use and transmit with a good sounds.

I'm just learning the first follows of hd 500, sorry.

So, i do this basic setup here with my amp, but the sounds like very bad. I don't known if less some configurations in amp, like drive, bass, middle to use and transmit with a good sounds.

I'm just learning the first follows of hd 500, sorry.

That's cool little Combo Amp you have there. How does it sound all by itself?

• When you say it sounds bad is it distorted or weak? I'm guessing your overdriving your Meteoro Combo Amp.
  • Try this, set the Gain on your Combo Amp to it's lowest level with the Master at around 12 O'clock.
  • The HD500 has a switch to the left of the pedal for the 1/4" output "Line or Amp" set it to "Amp". Check out the attachment below.
  • Try adjusting your HD500 levels starting low and work them up slowly.

I'm reading up on your Amp Here > http://www.amplificadoresmeteoro.com.br/en/produto.php?id_produto=13

That's cool little Combo Amp you have there. How does it sound all by itself?

• When you say it sounds bad is it distorted or weak? I'm guessing your overdriving your Meteoro Combo Amp.
  • Try this, set the Gain on your Combo Amp to it's lowest level with the Master at around 12 O'clock.
  • The HD500 has a switch to the left of the pedal for the 1/4" output "Line or Amp" set it to "Amp". Check out the attachment below.
  • Try adjusting your HD500 levels starting low and work them up slowly.

I'm reading up on your Amp Here > http://www.amplificadoresmeteoro.com.br/en/produto.php?id_produto=13

attachicon.gifHD500 out switch.JPG

Well, i turn on he and played now.. I plug in amp and sounds like good, high volume, a good gain.. 

So, i turn on the pod hd 500, the sounds like weak, its like something in background. I played with a drummer and i didnt listen my guitar.

When i turn off the pod hd 500, my amp do not appear with the same sound. 

This is the scenario that i wanna to solve, the sounds weak of hd 500 is not pleasing me

I feel your pain as I've been there. It took me sometime to get the hang of the HD500, but finally on that faithful day the dim light bulb that hung over my head lit up and all was good. Take your time and read the manuals found here > http://line6.com/support/manuals/podhd500

The HD500 will sound good with your Combo Amp once you figure out how the controls on your Amp correspond with HD500. Knowing the settings in the HD500 are very important.

I feel your pain as I've been there. It took me sometime to get the hang of the HD500, but finally on that faithful day the dim light bulb that hung over my head lit up and all was good. Take your time and read the manuals found here > http://line6.com/support/manuals/podhd500

The HD500 will sound good with your Combo Amp once you figure out how the controls on your Amp correspond with HD500. Knowing the settings in the HD500 are very important to know.

I known the basic of hd 500, and known that sounds are horrible.

The buttons AMP / LINE in hd500:

AMP: i will configure the MASTER, GAIN with what size?

LINE: sounds more treble, more intense but with not gain

I break all the rules. I use Studio Direct into a Fender Blues Jr. or a Fender 100-watt Twin. I use the amp sims and play with the settings, cabs and mics. Some sound harsh and some give me sweet distortions. I love many of the effects, but it takes work to dial in the right chorus, tremolo or phaser.

I like to leave some headroom, so I set my Pod master volume somewhere around 12 or 1 o'clock, 11 o'clock for practice sometimes.

I run the amp volume at 3 on the Twin, just shy of halfway up on the Junior.

Play around with it and see what sounds pleasing to you at home. Then take it to band practice or a gig and relearn how to set it up at higher volume and with other instruments playing.

I love the HD500X and I sure appreciate it's simplicity compared to a heavy pedal board of about 20 stomp boxes, my old rig.

I break all the rules. I use Studio Direct into a Fender Blues Jr. or a Fender 100-watt Twin. I use the amp sims and play with the settings, cabs and mics. Some sound harsh and some give me sweet distortions. I love many of the effects, but it takes work to dial in the right chorus, tremolo or phaser.

I like to leave some headroom, so I set my Pod master volume somewhere around 12 or 1 o'clock, 11 o'clock for practice sometimes.

I run the amp volume at 3 on the Twin, just shy of halfway up on the Junior.

Play around with it and see what sounds pleasing to you at home. Then take it to band practice or a gig and relearn how to set it up at higher volume and with other instruments playing.

I love the HD500X and I sure appreciate it's simplicity compared to a heavy pedal board of about 20 stomp boxes, my old rig.

Whtsup! 

I was reading something like crossover distortion, i think this is happening iwth me.

What are all the details with your set-up? What are the settings your using in the "set-up" part of the HD500? How exactly are you setting up your patch? Are you using a Pre-Amp model or the Full Amp model? I know that the Meteoro 20w you have has a distortion button, how are you setting up all the knobs and buttons on the Meteoro? Let us see what your Patch looks like, send us a link snapshot of it. I know people who have had the type of problem you have only to find out their set-up is not right.

What are all the details with your set-up? What are the settings your using in the "set-up" part of the HD500? How exactly are you setting up your patch? Are you using a Pre-Amp model or the Full Amp model? I know that the Meteoro 20w you have has a distortion button, how are you setting up all the knobs and buttons on the Meteoro? Let us see what your Patch looks like, send us a link snapshot of it. I know people who have had the type of problem you have only to find out their set-up is not right.

METEORO AMP:

Bass, Middle, Treble: 12o'clock

Drive and Master: 12o'clock

HD 500:

Master, Volume, Bass, Midle, Treble: 12 o'clock

I have a semi-acoustic guitar, can be the problem?!

Follows pscreen:   

distort.jpeg?tsid=20131031-210158-a56300

Please tell me if the configuration of patch is wrong or bad please!

I looked at the screen shot of your patch, but I would also need a screenshot of the Pre-Amp settings. I very rarely use a noise gate. Have you tried your Meteoro's Gain control at about 9 O'clock or lower? If you need it there must be a lot of noise, maybe due to a high drive level on the HD500. Also what are your guitar controls set at? Usually I set my patches with the guitars volume control in the middle position so I can turn it up or down while playing and the tone control full open. Some people set their patches with them both full open, both ways work well as I've tried them. I hope you get something from my ideas since I find it difficult to explain these things like this.

Maybe try this:

• Make sure HD500 set-up is set to Combo Amp and that the Lows & Highs option are both set to FLAT (the lows & highs not as important) I like them set to FLAT. I think this option lets you cut frequencies and focus on frequencies.
  • Make sure the switch next to the pedal of the HD500 marked 1/4" out is set to AMP.
  • Start out by setting your guitar controls to full open then plug direct into your amp and dial in a clean setting (no dirt) while your strumming the guitar (hard enough that you know it should be loud) using say the G Major chord. Turn the amp off.
  • With the Amp set like that unplug your guitar and plug in the HD500 and guitar. With the HD500 Master Volume turned down power up the HD500, if it isn't already, then power up your amp.
  • Try using a blank patch first and strumming the same way as before while slowly turning up the HD500 Master Volume to a level you like. The sound should be clean.
  • Now you can add the Pre-Amp you like to your patch. Then test the sound (by strumming), if the volume is low turn the drive down and the amp volume up, adjust till you get a good loud clean tone. After that I add drive slowly (and decrease amp volume as needed) 'till I get the level of dirt I want all while I'm strumming at a high level to test my sound. This always works for me.

Hope this helps. I know I ask a lot questions but it's the only way I can understand what's going with your set-up. Remember the more info, screenshots and such will help others help you find the right path.

Added: underlined and bold type.

I looked at the screen shot of your patch, but I would also need a screenshot of the Pre-Amp settings. I very rarely use a noise gate. Have you tried your Meteoro's Gain control at about 9 O'clock or lower? If you need it there must be a lot of noise, maybe due to a high drive level on the HD500. Also what are your guitar controls set at? Usually I set my patches with the guitars volume control in the middle position so I can turn it up or down while playing and the tone control full open. Some people set their patches with them both full open, both ways work well as I've tried them. I hope you get something from my ideas since I find it difficult to explain these things like this.

Maybe try this:

• Make sure HD500 set-up is set to Combo Amp and that the Lows & Highs option are both set to FLAT (the lows & highs not as important) I like them set to FLAT. I think this option lets you cut frequencies and focus on frequencies.
  • Make sure the switch next to the pedal of the HD500 marked 1/4" out is set to AMP.
  • Start out by setting your guitar controls to full open then plug direct into your amp and dial in a clean setting (no dirt) while your strumming the guitar (hard enough that you know it should be loud) using say the G Major chord. Turn the amp off.
  • With the Amp set like that unplug your guitar and plug in the HD500 and guitar. With the HD500 Master Volume turned down power up the HD500, if it isn't already, then power up your amp.
  • Try using a blank patch first and strumming the same way as before while slowly turning up the HD500 Master Volume to a level you like. The sound should be clean.
  • Now you can add the Pre-Amp you like to your patch. Then test the sound (by strumming), if the volume is low turn the drive down and the amp volume up adjust till you get a good loud clean tone. After that I add drive slowly till I get the level of dirt I want all while I'm strumming at a high level to test my sound. This always works for me.

Hope this helps. I know I ask a lot questions but it's the only way I can understand what's going with your set-up. Remember the more info, screenshots and such will help others help you find the right path.

Alright, i'll do the tests now.. just a question:

in my scenario i use the pre-amps only, right?

Dudes, i put in

OUTPUTS mode: COMBO PWR AMP

And sounds a bit great, more sounds like a real guitar, more strong. I'll test now with the drummer.

But, a think that i dont understood, i build this scenario:

AMP: Blackface Dbl Nrm Pre

Dist: Screamer

But, i dont listen the screamer, or other dist. The sounds mixed amp+screamer but don't stay good, are horrible. Faul some configs in screamer?

help plzz

Cool, glad to hear your getting something good. Don't give up 'cause if you keep trying I'm sure you'll find tones worth playing.

I just changed the way I'm building tones a little bit and am finding new and different variations of what I had been using before. Using the latest flash update 2.10 and set the Mode to Combo Front, Focus to 670hz, and Low & Highs to -50. Then I set the patch like Meambobo's Guide suggested. Setting up the patch in path A, muting path B and panning path A to center.

Then I put Mod, Delay and Reverb after the mixer and have Input 1 source set to Guitar and Input 2 source set to Variax. The guitar in Z is set to Auto. Usually I use the Dynamics and Distortions before the amp in Path A. The PAD/Normal switch next to the pedal is set to PAD but sometimes I switch it depending on the guitar I use. Also the 1/4" Line/Amp switch next to the pedal is set to Amp.

I use Amp Pre's often unless I use the Studio Direct into Headphones and/or use the XLR into the Spider Jam Mic section sometimes I use the Aux input on the Spider Jam. I've even tried using the Headphones out on the HD500 into the MP3/CD input on the Spider Jam witch sounded good also. I usually do not use a Cab model so that's set to "No Cab". Most of the time the amp volume is almost full open and tweak the drive turning the volume down if needed. The Master Volume is full open and I always set a volume pedal at the end of the chain.

With the Spider Jam I normally go guitar in, set the Amp to a clean channel. The Drive knob to 12 O'clock, the Tone stack knobs to 12 O'clock, Channel Volume to 12 O'clock, No effects, and the Master to 12 O'clock.

This is how I set up a basic distortion patch. Here's what it looks like.

I can share tones with you but there's a good chance they won't sound the way I intended them to sound, you'll more than likely end up tweaking them.

I was playing around with this one today check it out. Don't forget you may have to tweak it and don't be upset if you don't like it, we all have different tastes at different times and none of it is "Set in Stone".

Here's a patch I made with the Amp you were trying to use. I did this with cheap headphones but in the modes I talked about earlier, Try this Tone. Pictures below show you the settings.

Dudes, i put in

OUTPUTS mode: COMBO PWR AMP

And sounds a bit great, more sounds like a real guitar, more strong. I'll test now with the drummer.

But, a think that i dont understood, i build this scenario:

AMP: Blackface Dbl Nrm Pre

Dist: Screamer

But, i dont listen the screamer, or other dist. The sounds mixed amp+screamer but don't stay good, are horrible. Faul some configs in screamer?

help plzz

Try using Combo Front Instead of Combo Power Amp. Try out the Patches in the last post. I was messing around with this patch today, maybe you want to try it too. Just a heads up this patch is a bit more complex than just a Screamer and Amp. Hope it helps.

Here's an explanation of what I did with it:

I was playing around trying to learn and made this patch. Try it anyway you like. Maybe start out with all the effects off except the reverb then turn on FS1, then turn that off then turn on FS2, turning on the U-Vibe and Delay with each one. Then try all them on at the same time. FS1 turns on/off the first 2 effects at the same time, FS2 turns on/off the next 2 effects at the same time. FS3 turns on/off the U-Vibe & Delay at the same time. FS7 turns on/off the Reverb. Remember more than likely you'll have to tweak the controls.

My rig constisted of an Ibanez AS Series AS73 Acoustic Electric Guitar into the HD500 set to Stack Front, PAD on, 1/4" lines out set to AMP with the Master at full open. The 1/4" left (Mono) out going into the Low Input on the front a DT50 Head.  The DT50's Channel A was set to Drive, Bass,Mid,Treble and Volume were all at 12 O'clock. The Presence & Reverb were Off. Topology was set to I, Pentode, Class A, and the Master Volume was set to !2 O'clock in the 50 Watt Mode. The 16 Ohm out on the back of the DT50 is going into a Jet City JCA12S+ wich is open backed with a 100watt, 12", 16 Ohm Eminence speaker. Sounded good.

Hi I have a Messa Boogie Road King II. I am trying to use the 4 cable method to connect my HD500.

Im using my loop I/O there are Loop 1, Send 1, Return 1, Channel 1, it all sounds mass destorted.

I used stack imput, Combo input at different levels with no change. This is all good gear guys and it

should work but its getting fustrating.

thanks

Have you tried studio direct with the 4CM? Have you tried just going into the front of that using the Stack Front Setting? I haven't run the 4 cable method yet. I'm happy with the tone I get running HD500 into the fron the my DT50 Head using the Stack Front setting.

I was looking over the 4CM, Have you tried to adjust the FX Send and Return levels to achieve "Unity Gain"? This may be what you really need to work on.

Hi I have a Messa Boogie Road King II. I am trying to use the 4 cable method to connect my HD500.

Im using my loop I/O there are Loop 1, Send 1, Return 1, Channel 1, it all sounds mass destorted.

I used stack imput, Combo input at different levels with no change. This is all good gear guys and it

should work but its getting fustrating.

thanks

Hi Thanks for your advice I will work on that this weekend. my main consern is what ports to connect to on the rear of my amp, their are many options.

• 2 months later...

Greetings all,

I have some follow up questions to this thread (great info by the way). I play in a cover band (we do 80's and 90's rock) using a PRS Tremonti SE into a few pedals [Korg Tuner --> DF-7 --> TS-9 (for lead boosts) --> DD-3] and then into a Fender "The Twin" 100W tube amp. Obviously this setup doesn't cover a lot of bases, so that's why I purchased the HD 500.

My goal is to use the clean sound of the Twin and use the HD 500 for all effects and amp modeling. I've read through the manuals and several posts about the many different ways to connect the HD 500 (FX loop of the amp, power amp input, etc) and have decided to try plugging the HD 500 to the standard input of my amp (Combo Front, 1/4" set to Amp). When I tried a blank patch to achieve the same clean sound as plugging directly into the amp, the volume is really low and the tone is just not right. And actually I've found that if I use the Studio/Direct and 1/4" Line settings the volume/tone is more true to the amp's clean sound. Seems backwards to me ...

My questions are as follows:

• Are there any cons to using the Studio/Direct setup versus Combo Front?
  • Any recommendations on how I should connect the HD 500 for my use case?

I'm not entirely opposed to plugging directly into the power amp input of my amp (especially if I plan on using amp modelling); it just seems like a waste to not use the clean sound of the Twin.

Thanks very much in advance!

There are no hard and fast rules. 4 cable method is the most flexible, but nobody says you have to. Also, if you like studio/direct, use it. That's why the 500 is so handy: it's flexible, powerful, and as complex or simple as you make it.

Greetings all,

I have some follow up questions to this thread (great info by the way). I play in a cover band (we do 80's and 90's rock) using a PRS Tremonti SE into a few pedals [Korg Tuner --> DF-7 --> TS-9 (for lead boosts) --> DD-3] and then into a Fender "The Twin" 100W tube amp. Obviously this setup doesn't cover a lot of bases, so that's why I purchased the HD 500.

My goal is to use the clean sound of the Twin and use the HD 500 for all effects and amp modeling. I've read through the manuals and several posts about the many different ways to connect the HD 500 (FX loop of the amp, power amp input, etc) and have decided to try plugging the HD 500 to the standard input of my amp (Combo Front, 1/4" set to Amp). When I tried a blank patch to achieve the same clean sound as plugging directly into the amp, the volume is really low and the tone is just not right. And actually I've found that if I use the Studio/Direct and 1/4" Line settings the volume/tone is more true to the amp's clean sound. Seems backwards to me ...

My questions are as follows:

• Are there any cons to using the Studio/Direct setup versus Combo Front?
  • Any recommendations on how I should connect the HD 500 for my use case?
I'm not entirely opposed to plugging directly into the power amp input of my amp (especially if I plan on using amp modelling); it just seems like a waste to not use the clean sound of the Twin.

Thanks very much in advance!

I recommend to use your ears and test multiple scenarios.

I scored a free a Gorilla practice amp combo. It's loud but the pre-amp sounds like crap.  It has Master, Crunch, EQ and Reverb dials and even when I plug the guitar straight in, with no POD or FX, the distortion is BAD!  I serviced the control pots with electrical lube (avoid WD40), it fixed some crackling but I think some of the components are worn, either that or it was always a crap amp.  I can get some good clean tones from it using the POD but clean chords still distort a little.

Luckily it has a 'power amp in' jack at the rear which bypasses the pre-amp; I plug my 1/4 L out from my POD into that and it sounds so much better.

If I follow convention, I should select Amp, not Line (switch beside the pedal) however it sounds much better if I select 'Line'.

Also going by theory, I should select the output to 'Combo Power Amp' but it sounds better when I select Studio/Direct.

Go with what sounds good to you, Full Amp vs. Pre-amp, cab/mic selection, cab deep parameters or No Cab. The settings are likely to be different with each individual amp you try it on.

There are no rules, it will depend on what gear you use and what gear you plug into.  

You won't experience the same tone the author of a CustomTone patch does, even if you have the same gear and set to the same specs.  If you did by chance hear the tone in the same way, you may still not like it.  I find they all need some tweaking to suit my taste and that's likely because my gear is different.

s

• Upvote 1

- this is the amp (only INPUT (left) and OUTPUT (right). 

amplificador+meteoro+atomic+drive+20w+ri

I found a review of your amp.

Man, this is a little cheap practice amp made in China (or something like that), by the Brazilian brand, Meteoro. I think there are many practice amps out there that sound way better.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-1226131.html

If you still can't get a good sound try out some other amps.

s

stumblinman/StephenSLR,

Thanks for both of your inputs. I agree using the old ear is the best way to do it. I've been playing around with the connections and decided to just plug the HD 500 directly into the power amp jack of my Fender Twin. Using the Blackface Double model I was able to get a clean sound that sounds almost exactly like plugging straight into the input of my amp. I've also tried a lot of the other amp models (full amp, cab/mic) and they all sound great through the power amp.

Cheers!

Thanks for both of your inputs.

You mean Guitar and Same?

lol.

While on the topic, also try changing Input 2 to see which sounds best. You get more dB if you select 'Same' some prefer to select 'Variax'

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup#input

http://line6.com/support/topic/4927-how-has-greatly-improved-my-use-of-the-hd500/?hl=input

s

You mean Guitar and Same?

lol.

While on the topic, also try changing Input 2 to see which sounds best. You get more dB if you select 'Same' some prefer to select 'Variax'

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup#input

http://line6.com/support/topic/4927-how-has-greatly-improved-my-use-of-the-hd500/?hl=input

s

I've been using "Guitar & Same" alot lately after using "Guitar & Variax" for a while I'm finding I like "Guitar & Same" better especially when using Dual Amps Or making use of effects in both of the Paths.