Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MRX EVH 5150 Pedal

victorloher

I am not overly knowledgeable about pedals, amps and other paraphernalia.  I currently play with a Helix and  Line 6 FRFR setup.  I really like Van Halen stuff and haven't been able to get the 'brown sound' out of the Helix.  I have tried numerous presets on the Helix, but just haven't gotten there.  I am thinking about getting the MXR EVH 5150 pedal and am hoping someone here can answer some questions about it.

Has anyone tried this pedal with a setup like mine...Helix into FRFR?

Do you run the pedal before the Helix or after?

Can I run the pedal directly into the Line 6 FRFR? 

I appreciate any info that you can offer.

Thanks all.

Vic

The MXR is more his modern tone, not necessarily brown sound. It's supposed to sound like the EVH 5150 III amp. If you do want to use it though, put it in the FX loop of the Helix and then insert that block as your amp instead. I think that would work, because from what I understand, it's more of a pre-amp/amp in the box pedal than a distortion pedal. Maybe someone who actually has the pedal can correct me if I'm wrong there. 

I think you can get much closer with the Placater (Friedman BE) model with a Greenback cab or IR and some EQ. Check out Jason Sadites videos on youtube for EQ/MIC/split-crossover, etc... tricks.

Hi Guitarzan.  Really like that name.  Thank you for your thoughts.  I ordered it today.  The rep from Sweetwater told me to connect the EVH between the guitar and the Helix.  He said just connecting it directly to the Helix won't really sound good.  I am going to try both your method and Sweetwaters and sew which way sounds the best.  I am also going to check out Jason Sadites videos.  Thanks again.

• 10 months later...

You can use the Panama preamp as a distortion block  into your amp block of choice. I tied it before and it sounds killer. I never tried an actual 5150 pedal, but my understanding is it was made to sound like the drive channel (preamp) of the 5150. I'd be curious to hear the thoughts of anyone who has A/B'd the actual MXR pedal and the Panama preamp in Helix.