Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

BPM per Preset sync with Tracks?

toby49

I need help. I play guitars in a worship band. We use many tracks in the songs. Although I store the songs in the correct bpm (preset per song), they are not in sync with the tracks. The drummer starts the tracks & I used to taped the bpm with my foot. But often it wasen‘t really accuret (I play with lots of dotted eights delays).

Is there a way to save the tempo per preset and just give the cue with the foot without changing the saved bpm again?

Greetings from Switzerland

Not sure I fully understand,  but you can save the tempo with a preset in either bpm or note format. When saved in bpm the preset is always recalled with the specific, defined tempo which you can match to the track once, in advance, befor saving the preset. The Tap Tempo switch is ignored. Sounds like this is what you want.

This is what I do: I save the bpm per preset and each song has one preset. I recall them, but even it is the right bpm, it must start at the same time as the click beside the tracks to be in sync. Athorwise my delay is offbeat or worse.

Is their a possability to tap just once or something to sync my them?

Sorry my English scills are a bit limited. 

Not sure if this might be what you're looking for, but expanding on what silverhead said above, after making sure everything in your preset is not defined by note format, when you want the delays or modulations to start (or reset) at a specific point in time, tap the tempo button once. This resets any LFOs, and I'm pretty sure delays as well. However, it relies on your accuracy of hitting of the tempo switch. If you're doing things with midi control, you can send Helix a CC64 (I don't think the value matters) for likely greater precision.

We run Abelton as well. The stage is 20 to 30 feets wide. Usb will not be possible. Is their any wireless-solution?

Will it be easier to callculate the exact ms for example 120bpm 1/8 dotted = 375ms? So I don’t have to tap just to callculate once and save it per preset? Will this work? 

If you're using a Mac, you could maybe use this little guy: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDBT01--yamaha-md-bt01-bluetooth-wireless-midi-interface

It would let you transmit MIDI clock from Ableton to the Helix via Bluetooth. 20 to 30 feet is getting towards the limits of Bluetooth, but it might be worth a shot. Beyond that, you could always just get a USB to MIDI interface and get a long MIDI cable to run from that to your Helix and send MIDI clock. If you only want to sync tempo and not do anything else with MIDI, just make sure you have the Helix set to a different MIDI channel than what Ableton would be sending MIDI messages out on. MIDI clock is universal for all channels, so you'll still be syncing tempos.

• 3 weeks later...

The tempo value that is saved in a Helix preset is not a "master clock" signal. It just sets the tempo for time based effects from when a note/chord is struck. The tempo "starts" when you play a note. For example, when you play a note with a delay in the preset, the delay tempo starts as soon as you play the note, and the delay repeats occur at the assigned note value in the BPM setpoint for the preset. 

1 hour ago, jbuhajla said:

The tempo value that is saved in a Helix preset is not a "master clock" signal. It just sets the tempo for time based effects from when a note/chord is struck. The tempo "starts" when you play a note. For example, when you play a note with a delay in the preset, the delay tempo starts as soon as you play the note, and the delay repeats occur at the assigned note value in the BPM setpoint for the preset. 

Well, the Helix can send MIDI clock, so in that sense it's a MIDI clock signal. But MIDI clock is only syncing the BPM of various devices. It doesn't have data that would sync LFOs or anything like that.