Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Backup Plan

prudenjim

Greetings Tone-chasers,

I’ve seen a few threads and mentions of a second Helix as a backup, or folks using an amp as their backup.  Given all the effects and pedals and tones, an amp certainly lets the show go on but at quite a compromise.  Those who use their own sound for all songs are affected a little less than those with presets of many tones but anyone playing live runs the risk.

Anyway, has anyone have experience community sharing their device or a second device?  I don’t play out too often but would lend mine to a local as a backup.  A full restore returns it to its original state. There amy be conflicts in schedule but, when not, and folks reciprocate, it eliminates the risk.

If damaged, it needs to be replaced and I suppose therein lies some possible trouble.  But I find most people to be good.  How much would you pay for the security?  The small fee would help fund the next device.

Any other alternatives besides a second HX or amp?

Not completely sure if I got what it is you're wanting to do, but anyway:

A couple of thoughts. It strikes me that the risk of not having any backup would be less than that of renting your device because that would introduce all kinds of other variables completely out of your control, as you hinted at. Best to stick with scenarios that are defined, unless you like the thrill of unknown/undefined risk, in which case go for it. But at least develop a fairly iron-clad contract for your benefit. But if renting your device is only for the purpose of helping to gather funds for an eventual backup for yourself, there's probably better ways...

For the backup itself, if you have Helix Rack or Floor, a slightly cheaper backup would be Helix LT, which tone-wise is functionally equivalent. Or a cheaper older generation modeler, even used. Or a modeler not from Line 6. The problem with non-HX modelers would be the extra work of constructing presets.

Thank for the thoughts.  Some clarification.  My idea was to buy another LT for purposes of a backup for myself or anyone in the area to use.  Not for profit.

At first I thought I’d share my own as a backup and hope to find someone to do the same.  Being local, I thought maybe you could get to know someone and have that piece of mind of the backup on gig night.

The idea of a small amount was to simply offenses the cost a little at a time while people would use it  without each of us having to buy another.  Once fully paid, I’d be happy to share it.

As for the FIreahwk, I will have to check it out as I never have.  Maybe that is a solution.

I feel lucky to have never had much trouble with my Helix. So, I would never tempt fate by loaning it or renting it out. 

I have an Ampli Fire Box as my backup. Small, so it's easy to carry along with my regular rig. I've never had to use it, and if I did, I would be at a big disadvantage compared to what I have set up in my Helix. But at least I'd be playing. 

I look at it like this: I've spent A LOT of time creating my sounds with this thing, and I'm not about to do the same for any other processor in the event that my Helix croaks. Also, there are a number of retailers (MF, others) that will extent me enough credit to buy a new one, and have it to me in 48 hours.

So that's my main backup plan. And if it croaks inside of 48 hours to the gig, I have a Katana head I can use as emergency, or my local GC has one I can go pick up.

So my advice is to have some very low cost processor available to squeeze in in an emergency.

But the best backup to a Helix is another Helix.

I can't think of anyone, including myself, that would loan a Helix to someone they don't know or barely know. I'd have to know them REALLY well to do that. Even the LT. That's a lot of money to be handing someone when the reason they need it may be they abused the one they had. Good luck with that but no thanks.

9 minutes ago, dickbanks said:

I look at it like this: I've spent A LOT of time creating my sounds with this thing, and I'm not about to do the same for any other processor in the event that my Helix croaks. Also, there are a number of retailers (MF, others) that will extent me enough credit to buy a new one, and have it to me in 48 hours.

So that's my main backup plan. And if it croaks inside of 48 hours to the gig, I have a Katana head I can use as emergency, or my local GC has one I can go pick up.

So my advice is to have some very low cost processor available to squeeze in in an emergency.

But the best backup to a Helix is another Helix.

For years on end, the backup to my current rig has been whatever I had been using immediately prior.... so my Helix backup is my 500X. Works just fine, and I can still get perfectly decent tones out of it. Is it ideal? No... but after nearly 50 years of roaming the earth, I've come to the conclusion that nothing ever is. I'd love a second Helix "just in case", but I can't justify the cost. If I had limitless funds, or if I were a touring pro, I'd probably look at it differently, and be able to justify the investment. That, and I'd be writing it off on my taxes...;) Till then however, the POD will have to do in a pinch. 

11 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

For years on end, the backup to my current rig has been whatever I had been using immediately prior.... so my Helix backup is my 500X. Works just fine, and I can still get perfectly decent tones out of it. Is it ideal? No... but after nearly 50 years of roaming the earth, I've come to the conclusion that nothing ever is. I'd love a second Helix "just in case", but I can't justify the cost. If I had limitless funds, or if I were a touring pro, I'd probably look at it differently, and be able to justify the investment. That, and I'd be writing it off on my taxes...;) Till then however, the POD will have to do in a pinch. 

This is exactly what my backup is and has been. The old Line 6 product is my new backup.

My band uses an X32-Core for the PA, so my backup is Helix Native since we have to have a computer anyway. The SD16 that feeds the X32-Core on my side of the stage has a High-Z input that I can use. This is routed into a MainStage concert that has Helix Native as well as JamOrigin MIDI Guitar2. This runs into a pair of aux inputs into the X32-Core through its USB interface. There would be no MIDI control, but I could get by without stomp control if needed. For longer periods without Helix, I would use my Apogee GiO for I/O and MIDI control. But I don’t bother bringing that to gigs as a backup.

I was initially concerned about the reliability of the X32-Core and Helix. But its been 3 years now with gigs about twice a month, and no problems. 

29 minutes ago, cgar18 said:

full backup for only 125.00 month. I know people with higher cell phone bill or pay more for cigarettes.  https://www.zzounds.com/item--LINHELIXFB

To each their own... but its still $1500 worth of anything else. I'd rather buy another guitar, or food and rent, lol... On the off chance that Helix craps the bed at an inopportune moment, the POD will suffice...hell, it worked day in/day out for me for about 5 years. A gig or two of HD nostalgia won't kill me....and that's if it ever comes up. Helix has yet to give me any issues live, and the POD never did. 

Good thoughts and responses.  My initial thought was the backup at the gig.  Some mentioned leading up to the gig but I was thinking, “Man, if this dies in the first set...”.   Since I don’t have a POD and I dont want to load tones into an old Flextone III and lug that 62 pounds around, I was considering alternatives.  Hitting a store up doesn’t solve the issue of an issue at the gig.

I thought about Native but couldn’t work that out given the current set up.  Maybe I think that through a little more and come up with a solution.  Guitar -> laptop -> USB/XLR out?

And then I thought of a cost-sharing way other local Helix owners might take advantage of a backup device.  

But, as many have stated, it gets complicated and risky in a hurry.  Anyway, I don’t have so many gigs at the moment and Helix seems to hold up well.

I use an HD500 and an HX Effects.... all my eggs are not in one basket. In my ultimate setup, both units work together but if one of the units failed I also have each unit setup to work as a stand alone. 

I know this question is more about the HELIX though, which is meant to be a stand alone. If I had a Helix my plan would be the same as it was when I used the HD500 on it's own. I have a Zoom G3 that used to get hauled to each gig as a backup. They are about $100 used, small enough to slip into an existing case, sound very decent and are built surprisingly tough. In a pinch I know I can always get through a night with my G3.

Before my HD500 I used the X3 Live.... back then I carried two units (got a 2nd one for dirt cheap) so if one failed the other was a 100% replica. 

Knock on wood.... I have never needed to resort to my backup plans.