Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FREQ OUT !!!!!

mileskb

Hey all,

Got a Freqout for my birthday and just got a chance to check it out.  I really like it.... but...  I'm using it in FX loop 1 and getting HISS any time I turn the routing block on.  :(   I'm using a Variax jtv89F with the Variax cable so I can't really put it between the guitar and the helix.   It sounds great, I just don't really think I should have to put noise suppression in the loop.  Has anyone else has this experience or place it elsewhere in the loop or some other idea of what I might be doing wrong ?

6 hours ago, phil_m said:

I had the FreqOut briefly, and when I tried it an effects loop, I didn't notice any additional noise. Do you have the loop set to instrument level? Where do you have the FX Loop block in your signal chain?

I had it first in the chain, then moved it to after the compressor.  I did switch to line level and that quieted it a bit, but still "hisssssssssss".

EDIT.... there was a distortion right after it... I moved the loop to after the distortion and all is well now.

EDIT #2..  actually it doesn't sound as good after the distortion.  Hmmm

Anything in a loop in front of a high gain amp is going to add hiss.  The FX loops in the Helix are OK, but they are not great.  I run a Mimiq in a stereo loop after the amp with no problem.  I had a Freqout for a while and it was fun but I hardly used it.

9 hours ago, specracer986 said:

Thanks for doing the experimenting for me. I've really wanted a Freq Out, and I'm surprised I haven't bought one. But I mainly play my Variax with the VDI cable. Looks like that's not a good combo. 

Yeah that's the issue for me.    I'm not "feedback crazy" but my style (for what it's worth) is a lot of run-and-hold kindof riffs where I stop the note and move on just as it's starting to feedback, or hold a chord until just as it starts to feedback.    I have some good sustain patches that were close...  but the FreqOut is perfect for what I do.  I think I'll probably leave it in the "natural high or natural low" setting so I can just set it off when I feel the mood.  But getting it into the chain is becoming a chore or sorts.

I have a freqout and had the same issue. I didn't want it between the guitar and Helix because I wanted to be able to reamp with FreqOut adjustments - can't do that with it in between guitar and Helix.

The hiss is easily solved with a noise gate after the freqout and before the distortion.

19 hours ago, spikey said:

Using mine after the amp and before the compressor. In that way I can control the overall volume of the feedback from the chain.

5 hours ago, guitarnstuff said:

Are you having noise issues with this implementation?

No it's clean if after the amp... just don't like the tone and the way it works when after the amp.

Its what you get used to, but no - no noise because I'm not gaining the crap outta it most of the time. Mostly Clapton or early Gibbons type growl. Works well to control the feedback volume on the FreqOut and that was what I was after, and I usually run a compressor after the amp (started this per a Robert Keeley suggestion a long time ago).