Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume control between sounds

in5y372

Hi, I guess I'm acting too stupid :-). I can't put the volume of different sounds to the same level. At home everything sounds great, but in the rehearsal room some sounds completely break out. Do any of you have any advice on how best to do this without changing the sound itself?
It would also be interesting if someone has a tuned soundset on which I could build on. I need a rhythm sound like Foo Fighters, a lead like Van Halen, a clean sound for chords and a clean sound like U2.

Bye, Olli

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I agree with you that getting levels right seems more difficult that finding the right tones.

In fact, people can excuse a non-ideal tone, but they won't appreciate too loud or too soft volumes popping up in the middle of a rehearsal.

I would like to cut through to the chase and find a downloadable set of tones for typical cover songs for typical bands like Blink182, Guns and Roses, U2, Tom Petty, Hendrix, Nirvana that I can use on the Firehawk. Does such a thing exist?

I understand if you use studio quality headphones, the volume setting can be done at home??

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with the volume levels.  I realized that what sounds good at home at relatively low volume can be totally out of wack when you play live and loud.  I haven't really found a solution, but my levels are slowly improving.  After every set at a live gig, I draw an up or down arrow on the set list beside any song that needs tweeking.  Then when I'm at home I know which songs to tweek and I try to match the volumes with songs that are already working well.  Another key thing to do is to save your sounds in your tones list on your ipad (or what ever you use), don't just edit the volume on your pedel.  That way when you change your sets and you grab tones from your list, they are saved at the right volume.  I made the mistake of getting everything sounding good in my Firehawk pedel, but when we changed our sets I had to start from scratch to re-set volumes again.  I'm going to try setting volumes with headphones, see how that goes.  

As far as a tone bank, you can access one with the Firehawk app.  It's not that easy to navigate because you have to know what people named their tone in order to find it.   I've tried a few tones, but really you need to do it yourself because it makes a huge difference depending on your guitar, pick-ups, and what you are playing through.  I use a lot of the preset tones as a base and make changes from there.  I made my Van Halen tone from scratch, it wasn't really that hard.  Just do your research on his rig and copy it, then tweek away to get it right for you.