Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv 59p Doesnt Power Up

Hello

Ive just bought a new JTV59P.

All models work when powered with the VDI cable

But not when i try to power them with the battery.

Ive charged the battery en all 4 green lights power up.

Help! I cant use workbench ..

Have you tried plugging into an amp that way, or just through workbench?

I'd try just with the battery, a 1/4 in cable, full guitar volume, and an amp to be sure that it's a battery conenction problem. It could also be the mag/model selector switch which is notorious for having issues to do with the knob being too long and bottoming out on the guitar.

Sounds like a battery connection problem since the models work when powered by the VDI cable.  Sounds like a defect.  You might want to check that everything is plugged into the circuit board.  The battery lights are part of the battery holder and they indicate that your battery is charged but not that the battery voltage is getting to the main board.  There is a plug that connects the battery holder to the board.  Maybe it's not making good contact.  I think you can check this without voiding your warrantee.

Thanks,

I'll try that when i get home.

It's behind one of the plates on the back of the guitar i guess?

Is it possible that there is a problem with the input jack?

Because i've read that you need to inset a jack to make shure that the battery powers up.

Is it possible that the jack doesnt make proper contact?

Yes it's also possible that the switch on your input jack isn't closing when you plug into it.  That provides battery power to the board.  Yes the board is under one of the plates on back.  I have a 69 and I could not resist taking the covers off when I first got it.  On mine it's the large cover on back.  There is a set of wires from the battery box to the board.  Another set to the input jack.  If the rest of your guitar is the way you like it, I would take a shot at fixing your problem.  If not, send it back.

If you are asking I am not sure you want to do this.  Use a DVM but you have to know where to ground it.  There is a switch in the 1/4 inch jack that powers the board when the plug is inserted.  I'm an EE so I would not hesitate to do this but if you are not real sure what you are doing you may want to return the guitar since it does have a problem.