Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix HX midi control

cherub

I'm on the cusp of investing in a Helix HX, and part of the attraction is being able to control my amp channels & fx loop with it. I have an EVH 5150iii 50w head and currently change the channels with a Tech 21 Midi Moose using the EVH 'midi learn' function. I plan to use the same with the Helix HX. However, to switch fx loop on/off in the EVH, the manual states:

"simply send a control change #85 message with a value of 63 or less to bypass the effects loop, or a value of 64 or greater to enable the effects loop".

Can I do this from the Helix HX?

On 9/6/2018 at 9:29 AM, soundog said:

Also good to know the HX can send/receive MIDI through either the USB port its MIDI connectors, so you can use old-school or new-school controllers with it. Now that's flexible.

Word of caution... standard MIDI (DIN) is self contained and works from device to device while USB midi requires a host. USB MIDI is great with computers, but generally speaking you cannot go from device to device with USB midi as it needs a host device (often a computer) to manage the signals. 

I suspect in the future there will be more devices that can double as a USB Midi host... but at this point the options are very limited, relatively expensive and/or experimental.