Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X & MIDI Changes 4CM

entropia666

Hi!

I'm currently using HD500X 4CM with my current amp, and it's working solid. However, I have a new amp coming in (Mesa Quad Pre) and it uses MIDI. Now I'm pondering that can POD be used to change channels with presets?

Example: For lead sound I have made a preset that activates a delay and a volume boost. Can that preset now also include a channel change? Meaning that I need only to press the POD switch once to change the channel and activate the delay and volume boost simultaneously. This would be a huge upgrade since I could ditch the amp's footswitch altogether and just have the POD.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody? 

What I'm particularly trying to achieve is the following:

- I'm using Nobels MS-4 MIDI Switcher: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/926608/Nobels-Ms-4.html#manual
- I'm going from POD MIDI Out to Nobels MIDI In port

- I'm having four presets assigned to SW 5-8
- When I switch from Preset A to Preset C, I want the POD to send a command to the Nobels to switch the channel in my amp
- When I'm going from Preset C back to the Preset A, I want the POD again send a command to Nobels to change the channel again

How I'm supposed to program the POD500X in order to complete this? I'm fairly new to the Midi and the manual doesn't help me.

The HD500 is a decent midi controller.... not great, but decent. Each button (and expression) can have a different midi assignment, and each preset can load completely different midi assignments for those buttons. 

To avoid unpredictable results, turn off any global send/receive on every midi unit you are using. You will want to explicitly set the channels and actions so you have full control over what is sent and received. 

If the amp is midi... why do you have the Nobels in the midi chain? Is it controlling other items as well? IMO.... If it's not needed, remove it.

Replying to myself if someone else is interested in this.

In short: can confirm, the POD can do this.

How to config the setup:

1. Get a midi cable from POD's out to switcher's in.

2. It's easiest to do this via POD 500X Edit software, but you can also do this straight to the POD.

3. On POD Edit, navigate to Controllers -tab and from there you'll find Midi Assign -section.

4. Set what switch you'll wan to use, then select a midi channel (for example 01), set the message to program change and lastly set program # (for example 01)

5. Then set Nobel's "listening" channel to the same channel you set earlier to POD. This is done by pressing key 1 on switching the power on while the key is held. Use the manual or instructions printed on the switcher to select correct channel and then press store to save.

6. After that press the button you assigned on POD to send a command to the Nobels.

7. Then on Nobels select the action you'll want to happen when the button is pushed and hit store to save.

8. Done! Now when you'll press the assigned switch, the Nobels will perform the action you chose.

P.S. It seems that the POD is always sending some random commands when you use the lower FS5 - FS8. You'll have to configure the Nobels for every preset on your setlist to avoid random actions, but this is fairly fast procedure. The upper set of switches (FS1-FS4) are not affected and work normally. You can of course set them too if you want to.

I see you got things mostly figured out... good to hear. 

3 hours ago, entropia666 said:

P.S. It seems that the POD is always sending some random commands when you use the lower FS5 - FS8. You'll have to configure the Nobels for every preset on your setlist to avoid random actions, but this is fairly fast procedure.

It's not random... it's program changes. This is why I said you have to shut down all "defaults" and explicitly connect the two devices. By default, midi devices listen on ALL CHANNELS (aka OMNI mode), and will usually send and receive PC (program change) without doing anything. This is likely what you are seeing with FS5 - FS8.

1: Make sure OMNI mode is turned off of both devices... setting a discrete channel means nothing if each device is sending and receiving EVERYTHING!

2: On the HD500... try to find a way to turn off "global PC changes"....

3: If you can't turn them off, set them to a completely different channel than the NOBELS is listening to. Now even if FS5 - FS8 is sending them, the NOBELS won't respond to it. Program your footswitches to send on the MIDI channel the NOBELS IS listening on. 

I don't have my HD500 in front of me so I can't dig in and find out to manage the global PC changes. Sorry I can't be of more help there.