soundog

Line 6 - Please Fix the Legacy Workbench Problem

15 hours ago, soundog said:

1. I think anyone looking at or playing around with a Variax would say its a guitar; I doubt anyone would say its like an electronic keyboard. (I get the point you're trying to make, though.)

2. Line 6 dropped support for Workbench long before Apple dropped 32-bit. (This thread, for example, started a year before Catalina.)

3. I would rather keep an old Mac around than have a Windows machine darken my house. And I do! Its the only way I can continue using my Variax acoustic!!

Well, there’s that option, too. I’m just saying that there are ways to still make the old version of Workbench work on a PC running Windows 10. With a Mac, other than running an old OS, you’re just out of luck if you want to run old software. It’s not really all that uncommon for software to be run past the time the company that wrote it supports it. It’s happened in pretty every engineering office I’ve worked in.

I’d also say that a Variax isn’t useless without Workbench. The modeling still works. It’s just that with the original Variax, the alternate tunings aren’t accessible without it... 

I mean, if you buy a new car from a dealer, you’re certainly not going to get any free support past the warranty. I’m not sure why people exact MI companies to support a product for products that have been discontinued for years.

Well said. Here here! There there!

I'm still using my Variax Acoustic and gig with it regularly. I have all my most used settings and alt tunings stored in the guitar.  And I keep a vintage Mac running vintage OSX and vintage Java to use vintage Workbench if needed. I've compared the process to someone keeping an old vintage car on the road: its doable, but you have to be dedicated to the cause!

Hmmm. . . One of several guitars I have is a 1966 Gretsch Nashville. When I purchase a guitar (or in the case of a Variax, a guitar system, which includes the Workbench since that factor informed my Variax purchase), I'm expecting a useful life beyond a 10 years. While I use several Line 6 products (e.g., Helix Floor, Relay G50), my experience with the Variax will preclude consideration of any future Line 6 guitars.