Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best Way to Connect to Small Speakers

tc1072

Hi All,

At this point in my life I'm a complete apartment living room player here using nothing by headphones (ATH-M50s) out of a Helix LT, and it sounds fantastic. I pretty much always am playing along with songs via iPad using a 1/8" stereo to dual 1/4" into a set of returns on a separate signal chain, all set up to be at the correct volumes for every song (thanks to Anytune Pro+!).  Occasionally I would like to be able to play for friends/family at get together, and was looking for the easiest way to do this without having to get an amp that would be way too loud for an apartment building.  Also already knowing the music/guitar volumes are already matched will make things easier for us lazy folk :p , so wanted a solution that I could just run the iPad into the Helix, then into the final speakers.     I have a nice set of Bose computer monitors that only have a 1/8 stereo in that really sound great that I was thinking would be an easily portable solution. 

My question is,  would I be better off going from the headphone out on the Helix (using a 1/4" to 1/8" stereo cable), or from the 1/4 outs on the Helix (Using a dual 1/4" mono to 1/8" stereo Y cable like I have for the iPad, just reversed signal directions).

Personally, I've yet to hear a pair of computer speakers that sound "great". Any decent pair of studio reference monitors will do what you want,  won't break the bank, and will be more than adequate for your volume needs. Stick with the big boys...JBL, Sony, Yamaha, etc. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Active_Monitors

2 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Personally, I've yet to hear a pair of computer speakers that sound "great". Any decent pair of studio reference monitors will do what you want,  won't break the bank, and will be more than adequate for your volume needs. Stick with the big boys...JBL, Sony, Yamaha, etc. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Active_Monitors

I like the Audioengine A2s but at their price point, you may as well look at actual monitors. 

A Yamaha THR10C would also do the job. I have have used mine it with my Helix Floor to do precisely what you are considering. Not too loud, but very impressive in a single package. I connect the Yamaha THR10C via it's 1/8" AuxIn from the Helix Floor's Main 1/4" L & R Outs via the appropriate cable. I have also used the Helix Floor's Headphone out and it works great too. Moreover, the Yamaha THR10C can also serve as a Guitar Amp and it runs on batteries, which is the way I always power it. 

There are also plenty of good powered Studio Monitors that will do the job at varying price points. Consider the JBL LSR305, amongst others. 

Either way (1/4" or headphone out) will work. I've done both. I prefer the 1/4" as it can require less adapters in my situation but they both will work. Based on how you would connect to the Bose's, the headphone output would require less cable and that's always a good thing.