Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dream Rig - L3t Speaker Mode Not Saved In Patchl

My setup : JTV - HD500 - L3t stagesource, all linked up through L6 Link

I'm trying to setup a few patches, for acoustic in electric sounds

It appears that the L3t "speaker mode" is not saved in the patches. This actually prevent using the "Acouctic" speaker mode foe acoustic sounds, and back to "electric" speaker mode for electric work.

Actually, it appears that the L3t goes back to "electric" mode when changing patch.

Is there a way to overcome this ? To save the "speaker mode" status somehow ?

Also, when connected to L3t, the HD500 defaults to "combo power amp" for output and the L3t to "Electric" speaker mode. Is this the way it's supposed to be ? Are we supposed to program our patches (including acoustic ones) to that setup once and for all ?

That worked for me as well.  I was scratching my head wondering where the pristine acoustic sound went from the L2T after I'd switch patches.  After pushing save  (making sure the L2T was in the acoustic mode) now the L2T is  going to the correct setting when selecting an acoustic patch from the HD500.  Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I must be doing something wrong as It doesn't work for me. I'm using an HD500X into a DT25 and then into an L3t

I have a two-path signal chain set up with an electric guitar set up on Amp A and acoustic on Amp B. I have the Pod L6 routing to send Amp A to the DT25 and Amp B to the L3t. The patch was then copied to a second location. On one I set the Amp A volume to max and Amp B volume to zero. On the other patch I reverse this so switching between the two patches routes my electric tone through the DT25 and the acoustic tone through the L3t.

Problem is, when I swap patches, the L3t switches to Electric Guitar mode and doesn't switch back when I go back to the Acoustic tone. Any idea where I'm going wrong?

I must be doing something wrong as It doesn't work for me. I'm using an HD500X into a DT25 and then into an L3t

I have a two-path signal chain set up with an electric guitar set up on Amp A and acoustic on Amp B. I have the Pod L6 routing to send Amp A to the DT25 and Amp B to the L3t. The patch was then copied to a second location. On one I set the Amp A volume to max and Amp B volume to zero. On the other patch I reverse this so switching between the two patches routes my electric tone through the DT25 and the acoustic tone through the L3t.

Problem is, when I swap patches, the L3t switches to Electric Guitar mode and doesn't switch back when I go back to the Acoustic tone. Any idea where I'm going wrong?

What values have you specified in the L6 LINK AUDIO screen for each patch?  This is found in the SETUP screens and I believe it's screen 9 according to the manual,  You should see 1 listed as the DT25 and 2 listed as L3t with 3 and 4 listed as AMP.  Under each you will see what the HD500 is routing to each L6 linked device.   These are the available choices for each connected device:

LEFT   - sends just the output from the LEFT channel at the end of chain

RIGHT - sends just the output from the RIGHT channel at the end of the chain

LEFT/RIGHT - sends output from both LEFT and RIGHT channels at the end of the chain summed to mono

AMP A - sends just the output signal directly from after AMP A

AMP B - sends just the output signal directly from AMP B

AMP A/B - sends output signal directly after both amps

MUTE - does not send any output to that device

I think you will want the following for your electric patch:   1: DT25:  AMP A          2: L3t: MUTE

And this for your acoustic patch:  1: DT25: MUTE     2: L3t:    AMP B

NB: Remember to swap to the relevant patch and set the L3t mode accordingly and then SAVE the patch to recall the L3t setting with the patch!

Thank you Gear Head and Uber Guru. I have updated the firmware on all my devices and now understand how to route the output and mute the unwanted amp (I should read the manual more carefully!). All working great now...except:

When I switch everything on, the L3t boots in Electric Guitar speaker mode (when vertical). If I switch to an acoustic guitar patch where I saved the patch with the L3t in Acoustic Guitar speaker mode, it doesn't change the speaker mode. I can switch the speaker mode manually to the correct mode and it stays in that mode regardless of which patch I choose on the HD500X.

This is generally not a problem as I tend to route any electric guitar through the DT25, but I had planned for small gigs to just put everything through the L3t so would need it to switch speaker mode along with the patch change.

Am I still missing something?

Thank you Gear Head and Uber Guru. I have updated the firmware on all my devices and now understand how to route the output and mute the unwanted amp (I should read the manual more carefully!). All working great now...except:

When I switch everything on, the L3t boots in Electric Guitar speaker mode (when vertical). If I switch to an acoustic guitar patch where I saved the patch with the L3t in Acoustic Guitar speaker mode, it doesn't change the speaker mode. I can switch the speaker mode manually to the correct mode and it stays in that mode regardless of which patch I choose on the HD500X.

This is generally not a problem as I tend to route any electric guitar through the DT25, but I had planned for small gigs to just put everything through the L3t so would need it to switch speaker mode along with the patch change.

Am I still missing something?

I read the release notes for latest firmware 1.2 for HD500X and it clearly states that if you connect the HD500X to Stagesource speaker that it will default to Studio/Direct output mode, and the Stagesource speaker will default to FRFR mode. However, it does not say what happens when you connect to a DT25 first and then to a Stagesource speaker.

If you connect your HD500X direct to L3t does it work as described in the 1.2 release notes?

And then when you connect it via DT25 does it behave as you described above? That is, stays on either Elec Guitar mode or whatever you manually swap it to?

Are you using standard XLR cables for your L6 link connections or are you using the recommended AES cables?

Also, when you have it connected as above, did you try changing hd500 to acoustic patch an then manually swapping l3t to acoustic guitar mode and THEN saving the hd500 patch. Then swap to different patch for elec guitar, see if l3t changes mode, if not then manually change to required mode and THEN save that patch. Then retun to each patch on hd500 using the foot switches as normal and see if that now auto switches the l3t made with patch change.

• 1 month later...

I have exactly the same problem as ukphonebook.  The Line 6 documentation states to always put the DT amp first in the L6 link chain (if you don't it won't save the topology settings).   If I just connect the L3 and leave the DT disconnected, the speaker mode is saved.  If I re-connect the DT, the speaker mode on the L3 stays in the last used setting.  With electric guitar, I wanted to used my DT and L3 for amps A and B and with acoustic I wanted to mute the DT and use acoustic guitar or reference/PA mode on the L3.  Sadly, it looks like I'm going to have to compromise with the electric guitar and just use the DT.  Is this a firmware issue or a hardware problem?  Presumably, if you have more than one DT amp in the L6 link chain, the topologies are properly save if you assign them to different amp blocks?

Edit:  I've just raised a ticket on this with Line 6.  As far as I'm concerned, I was expecting them to work together properly and they do not.  This limitation should at least have been documented so any prospective buyers are aware of it.  Not that it would have prevented me from buying the L3t - I wanted it primarily for the acoustic and PA features.  Let's hope it is fixed in the next POD HD firmware release....

Got a reply to my ticket, acknowledging a bug that the DT won't pass through data to the L3t, so speaker mode can't be saved with my configuration.  However, I got the unsatisfactory response that I have to log it on ideascale.  Surely the purpose of ideascale is for product enhancements rather than bug fixes?

Anyway, the idea is here if anyone would like to vote ;)

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Allow-L3t-speaker-mode-save-when-L6-linked-to-DT-amp/579806-23508

Edited by wicker_man
  • Upvote 1

Got a reply to my ticket, acknowledging a bug that the DT won't pass through data to the L3t, so speaker mode can't be saved with my configuration.  However, I got the unsatisfactory response that I have to log it on ideascale.  Surely the purpose of ideascale is for product enhancements rather than bug fixes?

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Allow-L3t-speaker-mode-save-when-L6-linked-to-DT-amp/579806-23508

I have voted, but I agree with you, I thought ideascale was for new product ideas, enhancements, not to vote on priority of bug fixes !!!!

• Upvote 1

ThankS! :)

No problem. Just need a couple hundred more votes to get to top of the list. Lol. ;)

I can't believe they are not addressing this problem directly. Surely the whole point of L6 link is to connect the L6 link enabled devices together so they can communicate seamlessly, and surely any L6 link device would by default pass through any unrelated data to the next in the chain, why would it not do that? Also, how difficult can it be for them to fix it? Surely, all data should be passed on via the THRU and the relevant devices take notice of their related data. In fact, why does the problem exist? Surely they designed L6 link with the intention of daisy chaining several devices to be controlled from one source - didn't they? The more I think about it the more dumbfounded I am that this problem exists at all, and I am lost for words that they are not fixing it directly and have instead said it needs to be submitted via ideascale and be voted on. :o

Pease excuse the rant. Unbelievable. :(

I think this needs to be raised in the other relevant forums so people are aware they need to go and vote for this bug to be fixed.   I will open threads and cut and paste these details.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem as ukphonebook.  The Line 6 documentation states to always put the DT amp first in the L6 link chain (if you don't it won't save the topology settings).

I understand that there are other problems caused by conneting the DT after the L3t, but have you tried whether doing so solves your problem your specific problem? 

I do not understand what 'it' refers to in 'if you don't it won't save the topology settings'. Is 'it' the DT or the HD?

If you can't transfer the DT knob settings to the HD to save them you may be able to live with that as long as you can set the DT knobs from the HD and save them.

On the other hand if the L3t drops all the MIDI info from the HD and does not pass it through you are out of luck.

When I connected HD > L3 > DT, the L3 speaker mode was saved with the patch in the HD, but any changes to the DT's topology settings (I, II, III, IV, Class A, A/B etc) were not saved in the patch.  I'm not sure whether the DT's knob settings were stored, but they can be set via the HD amp model in any case.  To be honest, there were more compromises with the DT last in the chain, so I'm making do with the L3 just for acoustic tones and only the DT for electric.  This just means if I want to have dual amp patches, I can't use the L3 for one of the amp models unless I manually change it's speaker mode.

• 3 months later...

This is exactly the reaseon why I sent my L2m back.... it won't work correctly together with DT-25 and patch saving of speaker mode. Only when connected directly to Pod500x via L6 Link. This is really a shame.

@ Line6: It's a bug not a feature request!!!

• Upvote 1

This is exactly the reaseon why I sent my L2m back.... it won't work correctly together with DT-25 and patch saving of speaker mode. Only when connected directly to Pod500x via L6 Link. This is really a shame.

@ Line6: It's a bug not a feature request!!!

Precisely - we should be made aware of these things before purchase.  I think I would have still purchased the L3 as I wanted mainly for acoustic, but I was highly disappointed that this didn't work.