Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Plugging a regular amp head into powercab

rickdesmond

If your amp has a preamp out, you could run that into Powercab. But you can’t connect your amp’s speaker out to the Powercab without having some sort of load box in between. There’s no way to bypass the PC’s power amp.

You could get a resitive or reactive load box and plug the tube amp speaker out to that.  Then connect the line out from the load box to power cab.

Just tried is with some Mesa amps and a Fryette PS-2 reactive load section.  Was pretty cool, especially with the PCAB speaker models.

• 1 year later...
On 9/16/2018 at 8:14 PM, roscoe5 said:

You could get a resitive or reactive load box and plug the tube amp speaker out to that.  Then connect the line out from the load box to power cab.

Just tried is with some Mesa amps and a Fryette PS-2 reactive load section.  Was pretty cool, especially with the PCAB speaker models.

I have a Two Notes Torpedo Reload (https://www.two-notes.com/torpedo-reload) and a PowerCab 112 Plus on the way. Will this setup work with your suggestion? In technical terms, what exactly is happening that makes it safe to do so? Thanks much.

• 6 months later...
5 hours ago, logicbdj said:

I was thinking of doing this on the cheap, with the Bugera load box. That's all that is required? See item below.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/104494/Guitars/Guitar-Amps/Bugera/PS1-Passive-100W-Power-Attenuator.htm#Reviews-tab

You could use the line out from that to connect to the Powercab, but be aware that the PS1 is just an attenuator, not a reactive load. So you still have to have an actual speaker load connected to its speaker output to prevent your amp from being damaged.

20 hours ago, phil_m said:

You could use the line out from that to connect to the Powercab, but be aware that the PS1 is just an attenuator, not a reactive load. So you still have to have an actual speaker load connected to its speaker output to prevent your amp from being damaged.

I would hate to spend the money, but I presume something like this is better:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/72643/Guitars/Guitar_Amps/Rivera_Amplification/Mini_Rockcrusher_Recording_Load_Box.htm

Reactive load boxes with IR capability and direct FOH outputs are breathing new life into typical 100W tube guitar amps. If you love your amp, and can afford to lug it around, then this is a great solution. But I think it may have a limited life. I'd much rather use Helix and Powercab, more flexibility for less weight and footprint.

19 hours ago, logicbdj said:

I would hate to spend the money, but I presume something like this is better:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/72643/Guitars/Guitar_Amps/Rivera_Amplification/Mini_Rockcrusher_Recording_Load_Box.htm

Yes, that would work. Seems like a big expense for what it will give you, but it's an option.

5 hours ago, amsdenj said:

Reactive load boxes with IR capability and direct FOH outputs are breathing new life into typical 100W tube guitar amps. If you love your amp, and can afford to lug it around, then this is a great solution. But I think it may have a limited life. I'd much rather use Helix and Powercab, more flexibility for less weight and footprint.

I do gear reviews and may doing some on amp heads.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got around to trying this with my loadbox and Powercab Plus. Instant awesome tone with all of the speaker models, it’s like they were made to be used this way. Honestly no matter what I do, I’ve never been able to get the speaker models sounding great with any of my HX Stomp patches or even the default patches (with cab block removed of course)  - I always end up playing through Flat mode with IRs or Helix cab models and EQing if I’m trying to get the amp in the room feeling. But my Custom Deluxe Reverb amp through Torpedo Reload and Powercab speaker models sounds perfect. Clean or dirty tones, all the speaker models sounded great, no tweaking required, although it is super easy and fun to try all the mics using the Edit software. I even threw an MXR 5150 Overdrive in front and it was killer.

For sure, this is my new go-to setup for playing at home. I feel like this just turned my Powercab into the best piece of gear that I have. If you have access to a loadbox, definitely give it a try.

I might have to upgrade to the PC 212 and start collecting some heads!

• 1 year later...