Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Xlr L6 Link

ts14064shred

Sorry if these questions have already been answered. I just don’t have much time here at work to re-search this forum. I love my HD500X, so this week I bought a DT25. I figured on using it as a stand alone amp, but after reading the raves of linking them up, I decided to try the XLR L6 link. My HD500 patches became very brittle and over-powered.

Questions about the L6 Link:

1. Do I have to re-create all my HD500 patches with just pre-amps (manual recommended) (they currently are all full amps)?

2. Does the DT25 only use CH A to play all my HD500 patches?

3. If the DT25 changes circuitry for each HD500 amp choice, what does it do with an HD500 dual amp patch (different amps in HD500 amp blocks A and B)? (My favorite patches are dual amps).

4. Are the “Amp Knobs†in the HD500 over-riding the physical amp knob locations on the DT25, every time I change an HD500 patch? (I’ve read, when L6 linked, either will change either. I want it to sound like the settings of my HD500 every time I change into a new saved HD500 patch).  

Thank you for all your support.

Sorry if these questions have already been answered. I just don’t have much time here at work to re-search this forum. I love my HD500X, so this week I bought a DT25. I figured on using it as a stand alone amp, but after reading the raves of linking them up, I decided to try the XLR L6 link. My HD500 patches became very brittle and over-powered.

Questions about the L6 Link:

1. Do I have to re-create all my HD500 patches with just pre-amps (manual recommended) (they currently are all full amps)?

2. Does the DT25 only use CH A to play all my HD500 patches?

3. If the DT25 changes circuitry for each HD500 amp choice, what does it do with an HD500 dual amp patch (different amps in HD500 amp blocks A and B)? (My favorite patches are dual amps).

4. Are the “Amp Knobs†in the HD500 over-riding the physical amp knob locations on the DT25, every time I change an HD500 patch? (I’ve read, when L6 linked, either will change either. I want it to sound like the settings of my HD500 every time I change into a new saved HD500 patch).

Thank you for all your support.

1. It is generally recommended you use preamp patches, but not a rule. Let your ears be the judge.

2. Channel A is used when the L6 Link is being used. Channel B is used when you turn the amp model off in your Pod patch.

3. Whichever amp is in the top path selects the DT25 configuration. You can still change what topology/class/pentode-triode mode is used, but default is based on the amp in the top path, and both amps obviously will be using this power amp configuration.

4. Either one can make changes. But when you load a patch, it loads the knob locations saved in the patch, not knob location of channel A on the amp.

Enjoy! I love my HD500 and DT25 combo. It will take some time to tweak your patches, but you will find much better tones in the end.

In regard to 3. you may want to be aware that Drive does not just influence the preamp modelled in the HD but also the power amp section in the DT. This means that the Drive setting of your amp in channel B will only do something for the preamp and not impact the poweramp section (only the Drive setting of Channel A will do that).

This topic also relates to why the volume level of different tones on the HD500 may be balanced when you monitor via USB or any output controlled by Master, but may come out quite differently when you go through a DT. As far as I can tell the difference is that the Drive setting is also used by the power amp section in the DT and different Amp topologies will cause diffferent amplification levels when routed through the DT's power amp section. In other words you cannot generally assume that you can balance tone volume levels just with the HD and then assume that the tones will still be balanced when you go through the DT power amp section.

Good luck. It's worth the trouble though because the DT's sound great.

• Upvote 1