Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

fx phase problem

kenwilcoxguitar

I have an fx loop 1/2 set up for an external looper, I like to use more than the helix looper. I have it set at the end of my signal chain (right before but I get a phasing sound. I have the mix set to 50% if the mix is at zero effect loop has no sound if it's at 100%. Send and return are set to 0db. If I bypass the fx send phase sound goes away. Something to do with the mix %?  

thanks

Ken 

I would think that the mix should be set to 100%.  Your looper should send your signal through the looper and back to the return (loop 2?) of the Helix. If you set it to 50% then half the signal goes to your loop (-3dB Power, -6dB Voltage) and half will bypass your looper. If the looper has any significant delay (>1ms or so) you will hear a phasing sound as the half that didn't get sent to the looper mixes with the other half that was sent to the looper and then passed through back to the Helix.

Does your looper have a "dry kill" mode? In other words, can your looper be set so that it only outputs the looped recording, and not the guitar input passthrough? If so, you need to turn off the dry signal -- its combining with the HX signal which causes the phasing sound you hear. If you do that, set your mix at 50% (or adjust as needed for the looper volume).

If you don't have dry kill, try reginaldStjohn's solution.