Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Intonation on JTV69

I posted this in the Helix forum for some unknown reason. But I'm having trouble getting my JTV69 to intonate. This is my first floating bridge and I'm figuring it's probably normal not to be able to get it spot on. The closest I can get it is just slightly flat. Is this pretty normal?

2 hours ago, specracer986 said:

Ok, I guess it's due for a trip to my local luthier to see why I can't get it right. I also did my Tele last night, and it was spot on, with no problem. Not so with the Variax. 

Unless you've run out of room and can't move the saddles any farther forward (the direction you'd need to go if the fretted note at the 12th fret is flat compared to the harmonic), then there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get it intonated.

Only other thing I can think of is the strings... if they're old and dead enough, you won't be able to keep the thing in tune no matter what you do. 

This is my main guitar. My strings attain old age, usually after three weeks. I rarely have a set on for more than a month. 

I replaced the bridge, because I was getting a slight groove in the top of three saddles. Put on new strings and did a complete setup. Couldn't get good intonation. The bridge is sitting and functioning properly. The strings are the same brand and gauge that I always use. 

I'll take it in to get checked out. I have a luthier to the stars that I use. He's very good. I just like doing as much of my own work as I can.

If it comes up flat, it could be a couple of things with the rest of the set-up.

It's a balance of tensions. Once that's done, intonation can get dialed in closer.

I'm used to it because I've done hundreds of these 69's. Never got into the tremolo

thing, yet I own three and prefer the floating two-post. The only tremolo bridges I own.