Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pattern to firmware releases?

wilkinsi

No real pattern.  It changes depending on what's being worked on and what the focus is in overall product development.  Sometimes it's once a year, sometimes twice.  One thing for sure you'll never get any kind of definitive answer from Line 6 about when it will happen and what will be in it.

Line 6 for decades has "never" given out time frames for updates. Like Cru says, that way they are on time (and there are no deadlines to be met or broken promises to the users).

The closest to this info is that sometimes DI,  or one of the "sperts" says soon-ish. ; )

The pattern is, about 3 - 6 months after any update there is a "when's the next update" rumble on the forums. It kind of comes and goes like the tide for awhile UNTIL the "I heard there's one coming shortly" rumors. Then comes the what they should and shouldn't include along with the "this is what I heard" and "it should be coming come out......" speculation. That whole noise floor keeps rising and rising along with the "what's taking so long" posts until people start to think they can't take all of this waiting anymore. Now a couple of "I'm a beta tester and we're still testing" posts.........THEN!!!!!!..............the update finally comes. At this point the "it's been two hours where's the next update" jokes (often from yours truly) and the "great work Line 6" posts start along with the "this sucks", "why didn't they...", "well you suck if you think this sucks", "well you suck if you don't think this sucks", "are there any new factory patches?" etc. etc. posts. Finally it settles down until about 3-6 months after that. Go back to start. Did I miss anything?

Oh....you mean Line 6? No there's no pattern really other than a semi official "we're close" post about a week or two before it finally comes out.

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

The pattern is, about 3 - 6 months after any update there is a "when's the next update" rumble on the forums. It kind of comes and goes like the tide for awhile UNTIL the "I heard there's one coming shortly" rumors. Then comes the what they should and shouldn't include along with the "this is what I heard" and "it should be coming come out......" speculation. That whole noise floor keeps rising and rising along with the "what's taking so long" posts until people start to think they can't take all of this waiting anymore. Now a couple of "I'm a beta tester and we're still testing" posts.........THEN!!!!!!..............the update finally comes. At this point the "it's been two hours where's the next update" jokes (often from yours truly) and the "great work Line 6" posts start along with the "this sucks", "why didn't they...", "well you suck if you think this sucks", "well you suck if you don't think this sucks", "are there any new factory patches?" etc. etc. posts. Finally it settles down until about 3-6 months after that. Go back to start. Did I miss anything?

Oh....you mean Line 6? No there's no pattern really other than a semi official "we're close" post about a week or two before it finally comes out.

I think I've seen this movie...

Essentially there is no pattern.  The fixes and updates occurred rapidly upon launch as early adapters ran in to problems (myself included).  

And, yes, I'm guilty of making the 2.7 comment when 2.6 was released.  Just hang back and let them develop.  I'd rather have a strong update than a rushed update.

Pure speculation: But I expect a decent FW update in Oct, then I expect a slightly bigger update late Jan/ early Feb to coincide with NAMM.

If we only get one big update between now, and NAMM, I won't be upset. I'm really enjoying the Texas Cali clean channel, and the deranger treble booster that we got in the last update. They meld fantastically with my Tagliare.

On 9/16/2018 at 7:37 AM, brue58ski said:

[...] Did I miss anything? [...]

You forgot the two-times-per-cycle demands to improve the tuner in the next update. The first one around four months after the last update, and the second one within minutes after the semi-official announcement that the next update is in final beta testing. Other than that, NASA could probably set their mission clocks using your post. 

Mmm... Well... the one thing in common regarding firmware releases during the 2015-2017 period was that each November always delivered... So... Considering the facts and odds... I`d put my chips on November for the 2.70. Hope we metalheads get finally some love from DI and Benadrian. The last three firmwares neglected the high gains amps and took clean and mid-gains ones as a top priority. 

Helix Core and 3.0 intrigue me more by the way...

Greetings.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, BAmartin said:

Mmm... Well... the one thing in common regarding firmware releases during the 2015-2017 period was that each November always delivered... So... Considering the facts and odds... I`d put my chips on November for the 2.70. Hope we metalheads get finally some love from DI and Benadrian. The last three firmwares neglected the high gains amps and took clean and mid-gains ones as a top priority. 

Helix Core and 3.0 intrigue me more by the way...

Greetings.

Yea, I definitely agree. The Helix could use some high gain focus in the next update, or so.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, phil_m, I don't see any time-based variables in your equations. Perhaps we should just begin a countup.....

"99 models of amps in the room, 99 models of amps. Add one more to put in the store, 100 models of amps in the room..."

But where/when does it stop??

New drivers and updater just released for helix and powercab so perhaps very soon indeed. I have both and would really like to ditch the midi cable. Better integration between the two is most likely high on the list. Some high gain improvements would be awesome as well. Helix gets better with each update and they keep coming so trend dictates the next will be yet another improvement. My gt100 had 1 update & gt8 none.