Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

VaxAC700 cutting out completely

So tonight while playing on battery power, my Variax just cut out. I would unplug it and plug it back in and get something for a few minutes, but it would cut out again eventually, lasting for shorter periods each time until it wouldn't go at all. The LED stays on even when it cuts out, never blinking, and when the sound cuts out the control is unresponsive... so if I push down it doesn't turn red.

Even though it wasn't indicating a low battery, I put in a fresh 9v, but it did the same thing only quicker.

However, it doesn't do it when I get power from the DI, at least not yet.

I also did a reset to defaults (just so I can say I tried everything) and that didn't help either.

I did a search of the forums and didn't see anything. 

The only thing goofy I did worth mentioning is this is the first night I played through the Digitech Trio + drum machine looper. I used a regular 1/4 cable for this and because of poor vision, I did have it plugged in for a few seconds in the FX return, but nothing was running so no signal was coming up through the cable. 

I love this guitar and this is heartbreaking. I hate not being able to trust it now.  Aside from weekly at church I have a gig next week. Thoughts?

I sorta doubt you damaged anything with the cable mixup. I'm suspecting a faulty battery connection or an underpowered battery. Enough juice to light LED but not enough to drive the circuitry. FYI, I never run mine off a battery because they don't last long, and only use the powered A/B unit (or a Mini). Try using your guitar for awhile using any bona fide Variax external power source, and see if any problems pop up. Then, if you decide you really need internal battery power, I'd test with a fresh alkaline or, if necessary, open 'er up and check for bad connections.

Thanks again Soundog. Good thoughts/advice as usual. I left it powered up on the powered DI all night and it was still alive this morning (I needed to make sure it would work for church today). The service went fine too, even though I had my Ovation on standby, just in case. 

I got a little spoiled with the battery option as I'd play it in my office direct to an amp whenever I had time and not have to lug around the pedalboard where the DI is mounted. So I think I might do the fresh Alkaline suggestion to see what happens. It probably wouldn't hurt to look around in there too if that doesn't help.

I am thinking I should get a spare working one. 

Do you have a backup VacAC700?

I don't have a backup! I fly by the seat of my pants, and the only backups I take to gigs are cables. If something breaks, I adjust my song list (for guitars, I take the Vax and my regular acoustic), and do any needed repairs between gigs. If my Vax ever broke  the point that I can't fix it, I'll figure out the best way to cross that bridge.

You might consider shopping around for the "mini" power supply. Then you'd only have to lug around that and the wall wart and cables. Less stuff, but still not as simple as a battery. I'm guessing that the Vax is pretty picky about having the proper V+ and mA levels, so good fresh batteries are probably required which can get expensive.

Update...

I replaced the batteries, and checked the connection and discovered that the positive side going into the battery pack was super loose. I gave it a little squeeze and it's been running for an hour with no problems. I'll probably put another end on it that snaps into place rather than resting on the post. Hopefully, that's all it was. I've got little amps throughout the house and my office so wherever I am I can plug in and play, so the batteries are good for that but you are right, that's going to be expensive in the long run.  Another power supply makes sense and will keep me from flipping out when the guitar starts starving for power. :)      I'll do like you and keep another guitar on standby, but I do think I'll get another one of these as a backup. Right now there's one on ebay for under $400...    Thanks again for your help.   

You are so right about the cables. I've got a bin of them that I'm waiting to get soldered. Between the bands I've played in and my kids going through them, they really add up.

My guitar is running fine now. It has yet to repeat those symptoms several hours of playing with the fresh set of batteries and the fixed connector. 

Still, with a small but important gig coming up on Wednesday and not completely trusting the Vax on batteries, I decided to plug in my trusty 25 year old Martin D-15 equipped with the LR Baggs Lyric pickup. After playing the Vax pretty much exclusively for a month, I was blown away by how rich, full and great sounding the Martin was. The difference between the "dread" on the dial, and using the real thing, was like night and day. I still love the Vax, and think its an amazing tool for bigger rooms, especially in the mix with a band and on the PA, but in smaller situations, you can't beat the Martin/Baggs combination.

That's what I love about guitars though. There are so many options depending on what you want to do, with the Vax the most versatile among them. It's easier lugging around guitars that pianos. :)

Totally agree about the difference in the Vax and an acoustic. That's why I mainly use my Alvarez Yair guitar with a good pickup (and sound hole mute for feedback prevention) at gigs, and only use the Variax on guitars that require special tunings or effects (like doubled bass on low E and A). So, two guitars is enough; I'm always amazed at the number of guitars many pros take on tour, but they have paid roadies and guitar techs!