Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects 4CM - power amp section on full blast

Grandturk

Just got the HX Effects and I’m hooking it up to my Orange Jim Root Terror w/ 4 cable method.  I’ve verified multiple times the cables are hooked up correctly. I’ve used both FX Send/Return blocks as well as FX Loop blocks. 

The issue - output to the amp seems to be largely bypassing the preamp and going direct to the power amp at full blast.  Adjusting the master on the amp leads to more grit in the signal but no real volume increase as it’s already at full wick.  There is some activity from the amps preamp but nothing near what it should be.  It really seems like the unit is going full blast into the power amp section.

When I go back to 2 cable method and remove the send/loop blocks or use a different preset it works fine.  However, I would like to get my time based Effects and reverb into the loop.  

I know that you've verified multiple times that your cables are hooked up correctly, and that you've got the proper send/return blocks. and yet, it doesn't work. Please describe EXACTLY how you have the cables hooked up. Does it look like this:

Guitar -> HXFX IN -> HXFX SEND[#] -> OT INPUT -> OT FX SEND -> HXFX RETURN -> HX FX 1/4" OUT -> OT FX RETURN

If so, make sure that you have a SEND/RETURN [#] LOOP BLOCK between the effects you want before the OT and the POST OT FX, and the out is set to 1/4".

Does your amp have a switchable serial/parallel loop? Set it to serial.

If it still doesn't work, attach a copy of your preset and I'm sure someone who has a HXFX (I have the Helix floor) will have a look at it.

You have a set up problem in the patch.  You only need to have one FX send/return loop.  Think of it as the pre-amp in the Orange. Send goes to the input of the amp.  The power amp on the Orange is always at 100%.  The pre-amp in the Orange sends the signal to the FX loop at the level you set the master volume at.  That should be going into the FX return on the HX.  Send a picture of your signal path in HX edit if you want better information.  We are here to help.

This sounds like a BLEND problem.... a setting within the loop block of the HX Effects. 

Make sure your HX Effects LOOP or SEND (whichever method you use) doesn't have the blend at 50/50! If  half the signal is bypassing the loop it will hit the power amp input directly and won't provide the desired results. I don't have my unit or manual in front of me, but I think you want the blend set to 100%. If that doesn't work, try the other way :) 

Ok I’ve checked a few things -

1 - it is wired as per instructions.  HX send to amp front input.  HX return to amp loop send. HX output to amp loop return.  

2 - on the loop 1 control the mix is at 100%.  Changing this didn’t seem to have any effect.  

FX order is wah, OD, vibe, phaser, loop 1, reverb, delay.  All have buttons except the wah which goes to the exp 1 and the loop itself which is set to None.  I want the loop always on and then I will switch the reverb and delay on and off.  

Can’t seem to get pics to post from my phone.  Will try from the pc in a bit.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

On 9/18/2018 at 7:37 PM, Grandturk said:

2 - on the loop 1 control the mix is at 100%.  Changing this didn’t seem to have any effect.  

Something is very wrong if you are not hearing any difference between a 0% mix and a 100% mix. 

Remove the cables from the send/return... then see what happens when you adjust that mix control. With the loop turned on you should get NO SOUND when it is set to 100% and having it set to 0 should be the same as having the effect turned off.  

• 2 years later...
On 9/16/2018 at 10:53 AM, Grandturk said:

Just got the HX Effects and I’m hooking it up to my Orange Jim Root Terror w/ 4 cable method.  I’ve verified multiple times the cables are hooked up correctly. I’ve used both FX Send/Return blocks as well as FX Loop blocks. 

The issue - output to the amp seems to be largely bypassing the preamp and going direct to the power amp at full blast.  Adjusting the master on the amp leads to more grit in the signal but no real volume increase as it’s already at full wick.  There is some activity from the amps preamp but nothing near what it should be.  It really seems like the unit is going full blast into the power amp section.

When I go back to 2 cable method and remove the send/loop blocks or use a different preset it works fine.  However, I would like to get my time based Effects and reverb into the loop.  

Did you ever figure this out? I bought an HX effects last week and I'm having the same problems. My amp is only putting out about half, at best, of what it's capable of. All cable connected as per 4cm instructions. Mix of the fx loop is at 100%, return at 0.0dB. If I unplug everything from the amp and go straight in with the guitar it's as I expect it to be, very loud. 

Pretty frustrating. 

14 hours ago, Markg0063 said:

Did you ever figure this out? I bought an HX effects last week and I'm having the same problems. My amp is only putting out about half, at best, of what it's capable of. All cable connected as per 4cm instructions. Mix of the fx loop is at 100%, return at 0.0dB. If I unplug everything from the amp and go straight in with the guitar it's as I expect it to be, very loud. 

Pretty frustrating. 

Since this thread is 3 yrs old and OP never got back with his fix, I'll ask all the pertinent questions. Please physically verify and be specific in your answers.

FWIW - from OP's pictures, it looks like he did not have it wired the way that he was sure it was wired. It's plumbing, follow the flow!

What amp are you using?

Is it wired:

Guitar -> HXFX IN -> HXFX SEND[#] -> Amp INPUT -> Amp FX SEND -> HXFX RETURN -> HX FX 1/4" OUT -> Amp FX RETURN

Is there an FX Loop Block in the signal chain. Example - OD/Dist>MOD>FX Loop Block(#)>Delay>Reverb

Are you SURE that all of your cables are good? Test them anyway.

• Upvote 1