Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix With Fryette PS-2, Mesa Amp Squeal, And Pleasant Surprises

roscoe5

When I use a Mesa tube amp and load box in a Helix FX loop, I get a loud high pitched squeal when I turn the amp up to any reasonable volume.  Think a tune-in-Tokeo, short wave radio type thing when you turn the amps volume up.

Guitar>Helix Instrument Input>Send 1>Amp Input>Amp Speaker Out>Load Box Amp In>Load Box Line Out>Helix Return 1.

I have tried this with 3 load boxes, TAD Silencer, Mesa Cab Clone, and Fryette Power Station, and three Mesa amps, Recto, Stiletto,  and Mark V.  Same squealing result with all.

There is no issue if I plug the guitar straight into the amp back into the Helix return, or if I connect the Mesa amps Slave out back into Helix return.  It only happens with the Helix FX Loop running through both the amp and load box in series.

I have tried Global setting the loop levels to both Instrument and Line, using Send 1 and Return 2, using Send 1 and Helix Mic input as a return.

Anyone else experience this and have a solution?

This may be a Helix + Mesa Amps issue.  I see hum and noise issues with Mesa amps pop up here occasionally.

I just tried the Fryette Power Station self-attenuation method (link below) in FX Loop 1.  There was no noise, hum, or squeal.

Now this probably should be a whole other topic, but WOW!!!  The Fryette PS-2 self-attenuated in a Helix effects loop is really flat and transparent.  I was surprised when AB'ing by bypassing the FX Loop in and out with headphones on.  It does seem to enhance dynamics and harmonics.  Maybe it's that last little bit of tube amp/cab (reactive load) interaction missing between the amp model and IR's/cab model.  Probably not enough difference to be worth the extra device and cabling if you were going direct or FRFR live.  But pretty cool to tinker with at home.

The PS-2 works really well with all of the Helix preamp models too.  

Been experimenting with the Fryette PS2.  Helix preamp models with the Fryette self/attenuated in an FX Loop sounds really great.  Of course it sounds great into my Mesa 2x12 as well.

The PS2 is definitely the best power amp for Helix I have tried so far.  It really is quite the Swiss army knife.

• 1 year later...

Apologies for reviving this post, but I tried the same yesterday with my Mark V, Helix and Fryette PS2 and have the same issue with squealing when cranking the poweramp. Setup is

Guitar > Gtr In (Helix) > Send 1 (Helix) > Gtr In (Mark V) > Spkr Out (Mark V) > Amp In (PS2) > Line Out (PS2) > Return 1 (Helix) > through IR to Helix outputs and PC sound card.

The idea is to get the Mark V as a switchable FX loop 1 in the Helix to capture the driven poweramp section as well, similar to the built-in amp models. But as soon as I crank the master level to beyond 4-5-ish, the squealing starts. I have managed to resolve it by taking the PS2 balanced line-out to a sound card and patching it through to an output back to the Helix Return 1. This seems to resolve the squeal, but picks up too much additional noise.

Did you manage to resolve the matter and use an attenuated Mesa amp in a Helix FX loop yet?

• 2 years later...

I would love an answer as well. I've seen all the videos, read the manual, running an amp shouldn't be this difficult. Also tried running one fx loop vs separate send and return....line level vs instrument level...nothing fixes it. I'm not even using the amp's (Carstens Grace) power section. Just trying to get the preamp into the helix. But as soon as I crank the master volume on the Helix to about 5 o'clock....squeal city. Even with it turned down, if I use a delay, it turns into a mess as the delay picks up the squeal and it gets nasty fast. Tried every loop, combo....I'm out of ideas. It really sucks having an awesome amp that I can't incorporate into my rig :-(

Any help or ideas on solving this are appreciated. I guess it helps to know that I'm not alone in the struggle.