Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Variax issues

BigRalphN

After trying a Standard and a JT69 I had given up on Variax and Helix. I finally decided to try a Standard again.  While I am much happier with sounds I am still having annoying issues I can't seem to resolve. 

First, sometimes when I use a patch with Variax Acoustic or Reso, then switch to another patch and switch to Lester for example, I lose all output from the Variax. If I hit the model button on and off it comes back but everything has a slight resonate quality no matter what model I use. 

Second is same as above but I don't lose sound. I switch from acoustic or Reso and everything has that slight resonator sound. 

I reboot the Helix and it fixes it and all is fine. I have not seen others mention this issue but this is the exact same reason I got rid of my first Standard. Sometimes it was fine and other times had that sound. I just didn't test enough then to realize a reboot fixed it and as long as I didn't use acoustic or Reso it never happened. I am using a VDI cable but it affects both outputs. I have tested it. The JTV did the same thing.  Am I doing something to cause this? I can't imagine what. 

I have a Standard and a JTV-69S. The Standard has a bit of clang tone - that resonator sound you mentioned, but my JTV-69S doesn't. I have no problems using it with Helix and often switch between acoustic and electric models, and open tunings. I wouldn't gig without it.

3 minutes ago, amsdenj said:

I have a Standard and a JTV-69S. The Standard has a bit of clang tone - that resonator sound you mentioned, but my JTV-69S doesn't. I have no problems using it with Helix and often switch between acoustic and electric models, and open tunings. I wouldn't gig without it.

Interesting. It goes away on my standard with a Helix reboot. As far as the Variax end between the two guitars only the saddles are different. 

I have also found that my Standard has gotten better with use. It still doesn't play as well or sound as good (on the models) as the JTV--69S, but it is better than it was. Perhaps clang tone can be variable. Make sure the saddles are clean and well seated, and the string is going over the saddle properly.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, amsdenj said:

I also have the JTV-69S and I agree

I had a JTV 59, having played fenders forever.  Loved it for the sounds once I loaded a custom set,  2 years later got a standard as back-up, had to use it one night and kept using it and got another as the spare.

Had some weird 'resonating' issues with both the 59 and the standards. Fixed them with, thick hairband behind the nut to stop sympathetic string resonance, a bit like heavy players use (could probably use something more elegant but it works and no one has noticed), and lowering the magnetic pickups to reduce interaction with the strings. 

I seem to recall having some issues making sure all my patches used the right inputs on the helix as well as forcing tunings and models to make sure they worked consistently/as expected.  But that's now just part of my standard template/workflow.

I don't use the mags (ever) but use pretty much every sound the variax has to offer along with custom tunings.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry just saw you'd replied - I can't remember, I'd grabbed a bunch and tried them - I think one that is designed to balance out the volume across the models.  That was important to me for patch creation even though it changes how hard a strat (for example) hits an amp.  I can cope with that.

Happy to dump mine if you want - even though this is months later.