Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Geeman

Does anyone happen to know the size of the little micro tactile actuators that are in the Helix floor and LT?  I need to replace a few of mine.  I could open it up and see for myself but, hopefully someone has already done that which would save me from having to disassemble my pedalboard twice.  I think in the POD 500's they are 6mm x 6mm.

I'm not sure what you're referring to but Full Compass is your go to place for Line 6 parts. If it's available to the public, they more than likely have it. Here's the footswitch for the Helix if this is what you mean although I don't know if it's the same as what the LT uses.

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/536537-line-6-50-03-0125-helix-footswitch-assembly

• Like 1

Thank you brue58ski!  This is good info to know, although not what I was referring to.  I didn't know Fullcompass stocked such parts, so that's handy to know.  I'm not sure if the Helix foot switches operate in the same manner as the POD HD500's.  For the 500's, Line 6 uses a little micro tactile switch such as this.  This is the part that seems to wear out quickly.  I've had to replace the ones in my AXSYS 212 foot controller years ago.  And my POD HD500X needs some replacements as well.  But before I tear into my Helix to see, I was hoping someone else has already done so and could tell me what size to get.

Thanks again!

• 3 months later...
On 9/23/2018 at 12:18 PM, Geeman said:

Well looky here!  brue58ski, Fullcompass has the tactile switches!  Although I'd still need to verify that Helix uses the circuit-board-mounted tactile switches.

Indeed they do.  I just replaced the tap tempo switch on my helix floor.  It crapped out first.  Almost all the line 6 products I've owned over the years have had at least one of their switches start to fail.  I love 'em, but I've come to accept it as part of owning Line 6 products.  Helix is no different.  On Helix Floor, the switches are all on one PCB along with the scribble strips.  Remove the two screws per footswitch assembly on the back of the PCB, the ground cable screw on the top-right, disconnect the two ribbon cables, and the board comes right out.  Make sure the leave the Helix itself upside down, or the small springs and pads will fall out of the footswitch assemblies.  You definitely don't want to lose those.

I picked up a 100 pack of the small switches on Amazon for under $10. They're the same as the ones you'd buy from Full Compass.  I just solder a new one in when needed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Cool! Finally someone with the same problem!
My Helix Floor Tap Tempo Button quit illuminating. It still works, just no tempo light.
So if I get a switch , that will work? Any soldering?
I'm going to try to find some tactile switches as well, since I imagine those go too, like my HD500 switches always did, If the Helix uses them in addition to the Lighted switches.

10 minutes ago, Bushman2 said:

My Helix Floor Tap Tempo Button quit illuminating. It still works, just no tempo light.

Check you Global Settings ->  Displays. You can control the behaviour of the Tap Tempo light. It may not be broken.

On 9/18/2018 at 12:17 PM, brue58ski said:

I'm not sure what you're referring to but Full Compass is your go to place for Line 6 parts. If it's available to the public, they more than likely have it. Here's the footswitch for the Helix if this is what you mean although I don't know if it's the same as what the LT uses.

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/536537-line-6-50-03-0125-helix-footswitch-assembly

Nice, and other Helix parts as well!

On 1/30/2020 at 10:47 AM, silverhead said:

Check you Global Settings ->  Displays. You can control the behaviour of the Tap Tempo light. It may not be broken.

I did check that already, and the setting looked right.

my tempo light worked intermittently, only illuminating partially around, not at all, then back on, then just quit altogether. It sure acts like the led’s went gunny-bag....

from the YouTube link, looks like it just has a couple of screws holding it with no solder....

Reading posts such as these is frustrating. Line 6 FBV: Broken switch. Line 6 M13: Two broken switches. Line 6 Helix: Broken switch (tap tempo, repaired under warranty by previous owner). POD XT: Just went off during a gig, broken ever since (defenitely no easy fix, had it checked).

Why in the world can't they get their hardware right just once? I mean, the Helix is a weak hardware fest as it seems (mic preamp, XLR outs, joystick, switches and possibly the odd encoder failure too). My GT-5 and GT-10 operate as on day one (and both of them had their fair share of beer showers and what not), same with my Rolls MIDI Buddy floor controller, the Zoom G3, my Behringer FCB, the TC G-System (sold long time ago, still working on gigs every week in a mates setup) and what not. And apart from the TC, none of these are expensive devices, more to the opposite.

Yep SaschaFranck, their foot switches have been a definite weak link for me.  I've had trouble with them since their Vetta amp floorboards.  And I brought this concern up when the Helix was first announced and was assured that they were of better quality.  I've bought a spare POD HD500X and now a spare Helix because I did not have the time to get them fixed.  Don't get me wrong, I love the sound and flexibility that the Helix gives me, but these switches just don't last for me.  I even started using midi control as much as I can just to avoid using the foot switches, hoping they'll last longer!

I'm going to tear into my original Helix and see what's up.  I'm beginning to suspect that the circuitboard mounted actuators are not the problem, but rather something in the plunger assembly.  I think my actuators still function, but I noticed if I grab one of my switches and try to rotate it (previous posts suggests that if you rotate the foot switches, it "self-cleans" them and they'll work again) there is resistance and it feels kinda gritty as it rotates.  However, when I got my new Helix, the first thing I noticed is when rotating the switches, they feel smooth with very little resistance.  So, maybe something in the plunger assembly needs addressing.

Sorry for the rant.  I still swear by my Helix.

3 hours ago, Geeman said:

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound and flexibility that the Helix gives me, but these switches just don't last for me.

I absolutely love what I can do with the Helix, too. But I'm afraid I have to accept that the unit isn't made to last for long. Which is pretty bad, because I could as well imagine to not buy anything else (at least in terms of amp modeling) in a very long time. But maybe me buying a new one is exactly what Line 6 is hoping for.

I agree… The helix is an awesome piece of kit, that gives me great tones and is deeper than I could ever use…

It’s the nicest sounding piece of equipment that I currently own. 
and says mine is just out of warranty, I don’t mind working on it myself, if parts are available.

I’ve done a lot of work on pedals before, soldering in new bucket brigade chips etc... so don’t mind..

• 3 years later...

You don't need the "foot switch assembly" for the Helix. That's just the hardware that makes mechanical contact between the external spring loaded plunger, and the top of the electrical switch soldered to the PCB. If you are having intermittent contact problems with one of the Helix footswitches, the problem is with the 6mm tact switch. You have two choices, both involve disassembly of the unit and removing lots of screws. There are some YouTube videos of other guys doing this. It may be helpful to watch them first.

Once you have the Helix footswitch PCB disconnected and flipped over to expose the micro switches, you can either try working a small drop of DeOxit 5 spray cleaner around the button and into the switch body (being careful not to spray anything else), or you can just replace the switch. Cleaning it usually works for a while, but sooner or later it will act up again. If you know how to solder, and you already have it disassembled, you might as well replace the switch.  

The Line 6 Helix Floor footswitch is the same part many of their other products use. It is part number 24-31-1105 and can be purchased at fullcompass.com for $2.95 each, or from amprepairparts.com for 99 cents each. Their part number is TS-5127. The switch is deceptively small, but I can confirm that it works since I've replaced mine already with no problems. These momentary contact switches are nothing special. They are commonly found in keyboards and other devices made by various manufacturers. Do yourself a favor and keep a handful of them around in case they are all backordered later when you need one.

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2020 at 6:35 PM, Bushman2 said:

Cool! Finally someone with the same problem!
So if I get a switch , that will work? Any soldering?
I'm going to try to find some tactile switches as well, since I imagine those go too, like my HD500 switches always did, If the Helix uses them in addition to the Lighted switches.

The switch and LED are seperate parts and changing the LED is not for the faint hearted.

There's four solder pads on that!

Also there are two LEDs per switch so it's unlikely that both have failed.

Craig

20201210_082111-large.jpg

• Like 1

First check the global settings -- there's a way to disable the tap tempo light (I actually disabled mine). 

Regarding the LEDs, if they failed, I recommend sending your Helix to Line 6... Unless you have proper soldering equipment, there's absolutely no way to do this at home, you'll wind up breaking something else. 

I have had an awful experience where a shop just wasted my time, refused to do any work, and stripped all my screws, leaving some of them sticking out.  Sent it to Line 6 and it was fixed in under 2 weeks door-to-door-back-home.