Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and L3M

• 3 weeks later...

Very timely. I just bought a second hand L3M and I’m having some trouble with it. 

In electric guitar mode it sounds excellent with the Helix plugged straight into the L3M. 

If I plug a music source into it, such as my phone, it sounds great in PA/Reference mode. Also, if I plug my electronic drum kit  into it on PA mode it also sounds excellent. 

However, if I switch it to monitor or PA mode and plug the guitar into it any distorted guitar settings sounds dreadful. It sounds raspy and tinny and is unusable. Clean sounds are mostly  fine. 

I bought the speaker to jam with some friends and have a Yamaha analogue mixer so figured I could set it to PA/Reference mode and connect us all to it via the mixer. I’ve compromised a bit by leaving it in electric guitar mode and tinkering with the mixer and the drum module to get a good sound out of the drums. However, I figure I must be doing something wrong.

Any suggestions? 

16 hours ago, Urmph said:

Very timely. I just bought a second hand L3M and I’m having some trouble with it. 

In electric guitar mode it sounds excellent with the Helix plugged straight into the L3M. 

If I plug a music source into it, such as my phone, it sounds great in PA/Reference mode. Also, if I plug my electronic drum kit  into it on PA mode it also sounds excellent. 

However, if I switch it to monitor or PA mode and plug the guitar into it any distorted guitar settings sounds dreadful. It sounds raspy and tinny and is unusable. Clean sounds are mostly  fine. 

I bought the speaker to jam with some friends and have a Yamaha analogue mixer so figured I could set it to PA/Reference mode and connect us all to it via the mixer. I’ve compromised a bit by leaving it in electric guitar mode and tinkering with the mixer and the drum module to get a good sound out of the drums. However, I figure I must be doing something wrong.

Any suggestions? 

Try experimenting with Helix presets that do/don't use a mic/cab/IR block. Theoretically when you set the L3 speaker to Elictric Guitar mode you can do without a Helix mic/cab/IR block since the speaker setting simulates that. When the speaker is set to PA or Monitor mode you should use the Mic/cab/IR block in the Helix preset.

But there are no rules...... experiment with the Helix preset (EQ, amp bias, cab Lo/Hi cut, mic selection, ...) until you get a good sound with the speaker in PA mode. That's the mode I would use if you're using a mixer and other sound sources are in play.

On 10/5/2018 at 1:25 PM, silverhead said:

Try experimenting with Helix presets that do/don't use a mic/cab/IR block. Theoretically when you set the L3 speaker to Elictric Guitar mode you can do without a Helix mic/cab/IR block since the speaker setting simulates that. When the speaker is set to PA or Monitor mode you should use the Mic/cab/IR block in the Helix preset.

But there are no rules...... experiment with the Helix preset (EQ, amp bias, cab Lo/Hi cut, mic selection, ...) until you get a good sound with the speaker in PA mode. That's the mode I would use if you're using a mixer and other sound sources are in play.

Thanks. I’ve cured it. Would you believe it was a duff cable. In fact,  two duff cables both brand new. It seems in my various attempts at plugging it all together I only ever used the working cables when it was in guitar mode. A process of elimination found the issue. Weird. Everything sounds brilliant now. What a speaker the L3M is.