SteveFrance

Why should I buy a powecab ?

Hi all,

This is a deliberatly provocating title but i ask myself if it would be a good solution for what i want.

So, i've got a helix, a variax and a yamaha DBR10. It sounds pretty good and i can obtain good results but i always miss something.

I've tried my other rig (a fender into an amp) and i think this is the "amp in the room" feeling i miss...

I don't have any seller here to try one (they prefer selling common amps).

I find the price not so cheap and don't want to be disappointed...I can add, at first, i thought this device is unnecessary, you can't plug directly a guitar like in another combo, it only brings a better feeling...I've allready got the Full range with my speaker....

I think if i buy this device, i'm gonna sell my amp (i don't use a lot) and the DBR10, so i don't want to do a mistake.

The question is/are : does it really feels like an amp ? Is there really a real improvement from a PA speaker ? Does it sounds good with acoustic ?

Thanx !

I have never been satisfied with powered monitors. I took my helix and guitar to a shop and tried the 12'' variation of just about every make including Yamaha, qsc, electrolux, etc. I own an RCF HD32a which sounded the best to me but was still lacking the tonal qualities I like. Helix in 4 cable to my tube amp never sounded good and straight through the front was the worst. All of these options sounded pretty good with the several boss units I have so I just assumed the helix was not that good. Then I purchased the Powercab 112 plus. The tone and sound dispersion are far better to my ears than the monitors. Not exactly tube amp tone but close when in LF Flat. That mode shuts off the high frequency driver and sounds very amp like. I know it's not just me, everyone I jam with has noticed it as well. I have gotten nothing but praise. The speaker emulations are nice, especially cream and greenback but I prefer LF Flat mode and run IR's or cabs in the helix. I am mostly high gain metal so finding anything as good as a good tube amp just isn't going to happen. The powercab is as close as I have come thus far. It's plenty loud enough and weighs 35 lbs. Other options I have heard are really good are Atomic, Mission Gemini 212  and Xitone but they are more expensive and I have not experienced them personally. Also Laney just released the LFR 112 and Seymour Duncan has the powerstage 170.  Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

This helps a lot, thanx for your answer !!!

I've read it elsewhere and i'm estonished that many use IRs and LF Flat mode instead of the inside models.

I thought, 'cause they don't simulate the mic'd, they were the closest "amp in the room" that we can have....

You have been lucky to be able to try one in a shop, it's impossible here....

So, you advise me to buy one ?!

If you can purchase from a vendor with a good return policy then go for it. Then if you decide it's not for you, send it back. I can not see why anyone would prefer a powered monitor over the powercab but that's my ears. I have no idea what your preference is so it would be irresponsible for me to advise you to buy one. I personally really like the powercab but would be interested in hearing the laney LFR 112 which is less expensive. Cant try Laney here in the U.S. because they are in Europe. Perhaps the shops in your area have the Laney for you to try. The powercab would integrate very nicely with the rest of your gear but it would better for you to hear it. There are plenty of you tube videos you can listen to and reviews as well. It's a nice amp and very well built. Good luck.

I use my powercab with the inside models because I want an amp in the room sound and not a miced sound. 

What you have to remember is that just like a real amp if you change the speaker / cab you will need to tweak your amp to sound the same. So when moving from say a PA cab with a particular IR (which models a specific speaker / cab) to the powercab with the inbuilt speaker model you choose, you will still most likely need to tweak the amp.

I did that and I am very happy, and when I say tweak I am not talking about drastic changes.

Thank you for your responses !

Joe : I've learnt that a lot of poeple say there's a real difference between an active speaker and the PC+. But on vids, it's difficult to have any idea about this (because it's always through mics). 

I've heard very beautiful sounds on vids that i couldn't reproduce so kind even if they told every setup they've done, then i'm a little suspicious.

Your comment seems to be very positive for the PC.

In fact, this week-end, a friend of mine has asked his best friend (who is a guitar seller) what he can do to ransom my device and buy the PC+. I wait and see.....

Lewis : I think i'm gonna use the PC+ this way. Do you hear a big difference between the non and the mic'd sim ?

Comparing the Helix IRs with the cab modes is light night and day. The IRs when run through the powercab in the FRFR mode will sound like a miced amp through a PA speaker (or close enough that it doesn't matter). Whereas when outputting the helix without IRs through the powercab speaker modes is very much like playing an amp and standing in front of it.

On one level it depends on what you personally prefer. I have found when jamming with my band, where we all play through amps and only vox and keys are through the PA, that a miced guitar sound through the a PA speaker just doesn't cut through. Whereas an actual guitar amp does.

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

That corresponds to what i was thinking but i've read a lot of poeple still going on using their IRs instead of jumping on the powercab's models so i was intrigued by this fact....

Yeah I am not sure why some are doing that, assuming that they bought the powercab because they wanted the amp in the room sound.I can only assume that after all this time listening to a 'miced amp' sound they can't get used to it again :/

• Haha 1

I've just received my PC+ yesterday evening, i could try it at low volume but this is really the "feeling" i was looking for !!!!!!!!!!!!

Very very pleased !!!!!!!!!

I just have to do some setup and work on my presets now !!!

Running IRs into Flat/LF Flat mode is adding some additional EQ you might like, but will be changing the IR's natural tone. Flat/LF Raw also turns off the tweeter, but doesn't add any additional EQ processing, retaining the natural frequency response of the Eminence speaker. Speaker Model/Natural is similar, but has the option of sending a mic model through the XLR output. 

LF Flat voicing is intended to provide a base, flat speaker voicing upon which the speaker model processing is based. 

Try using a bit if high cut in Flat/FRFR for your Helix IRs. That's typically required for other FRFR solutions too.