Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

someone, anyone

gullable

New to this Line 6 Spider Jam.  I have a 75w that sounds great.  Love all the features and the drums sound great.  Problem.  I get no response from the record, play, undo buttons on the amp, rendering the looper function as well as not being able to play the drums or anything.  The play button illuminates while the demo is playing, but still don't function by touch.  All other features work fine.  I've tried the reset several times as well as reflashing with the 2g card and although the flash was successful, still no change.  Has anyone had this problem?  If so, what was the solution?  Not interested in taking this to a tech, they want too much per hour.  I'd rather just purchase a new one at that point.  This was a used purchase, so no warranty.  Any help or advise on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Is there a pedal that I can use to bypass the functions on the amp ?.  I don't think this is a problem with the amps ability to loop, I think there's a communication issue with the buttons themselves.  Will a pedal solve this problem?  What pedal would be best suited?  Thanks to anyone with an answer or even a theory on a possible solution.  I can't find any information online to answer this question and I'm getting frustrated.  I'm an older fella who's about to go back to playing the acoustic in the woods at this point.  Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply rarellano.  I used the v2.09 software and from the research I did, it required a 2g card.  It all looked like it took, but I could very well be wrong about that.  Computers are not something I'm great at.  Thanks for the pedal feedback, I wasn't sure which pedal was best suited for the spider jam record function.  I will look into one of those pedals and see if I can solve this issue that way.  Many thanks again.  Cheers.

• Like 1

Try this.

Plug your guitar into the 'guitar input' then on the 'record select button' make sure it's set to "guitar". Press the 'drum' button and select a drum set use the arrow to select a song list or the drum list and select one but be careful to have you master volume down first. After you select a song or drum press play to play it and/or press record to record. If you press record and play your guitar it should be recording the drum or song and your guitar.

If you want to record your guitar through the AUX input you'll need to select AUX/Mic with the record select button then make sure you press the 'input' button twice to make adjust it's input. On the first press of the input button you should see level adjustments for the drums and songs. You should go through these menus to get familiar with them.

Hope this helps some.

Thanks Brazzy, I appreciate the helpful comment.  I have already exhausted every setting I can access and still no reaction from the top 'rec, play, undo' buttons.  I really think I have a glitch that is preventing the message from the buttons to the amp.  I was hoping to bypass the top buttons by plugging in a foot pedal, but I'm not exactly sure which pedal to buy.  None of the sites that offer the many pedals available are specific enough to say if it will work on the 'spider jam' and more specifically, whether it will have the 'rec, play, undo' features through the pedal.  This has become very confusing and tiresome for me.  Thinking maybe I'm just going in the wrong direction all together.  I already have a full time job.  I just wanna jam man!  Any info on a simple, specific model of pedal that would for sure offer those features would be very helpful.  rarellono mentioned the fvb short board pedal.  It seems like a lot of pedal for what I'm trying to accomplish.  Good god, this is like doing my taxes at this point.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, gullable said:

Thanks Brazzy, I appreciate the helpful comment.  I have already exhausted every setting I can access and still no reaction from the top 'rec, play, undo' buttons.  I really think I have a glitch that is preventing the message from the buttons to the amp.  I was hoping to bypass the top buttons by plugging in a foot pedal, but I'm not exactly sure which pedal to buy.  None of the sites that offer the many pedals available are specific enough to say if it will work on the 'spider jam' and more specifically, whether it will have the 'rec, play, undo' features through the pedal.  This has become very confusing and tiresome for me.  Thinking maybe I'm just going in the wrong direction all together.  I already have a full time job.  I just wanna jam man!  Any info on a simple, specific model of pedal that would for sure offer those features would be very helpful.  rarellono mentioned the fvb short board pedal.  It seems like a lot of pedal for what I'm trying to accomplish.  Good god, this is like doing my taxes at this point.

Your welcome. Any of the FBV Express boards will work with it. I hear ya about just wanting to jam. It took me a while to understand what's going on in all those buttons. lol.

150412000000000-00-500x500.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally got my express pedal.  Plugged it in and have no idea how to format it to control the functions of my record/play for the spiderjam.  I read the online pdf manual, but it didn't cover anything about how to format the pedal or the amp to comply.  I then lost my lcd reading screen on the top of the amp, so now I can't even see where I'm navigating to, even if downloading an upgrade were the answer.  I therefore am done with the line6.  I tried, but in my opinion, the amp has great features and incredible sound, but wasn't built very well.  If these are the kind of problems that a musician has to contend with through line6, then I'd rather go another direction.  Thanks for all the input and help, but I'm out.  Anyone interested in a really good deal on a line6 spider jam and express pedal, let me know as I have both for sale.  Sincerely, frustrated and let down....

I too am a newbie. The Line 6 manuals are really not very good – in fact, pretty terrible – and I suspect Line 6 trusts that the forum users will help each other out. As to the top panel malfunction, I can't help (and only hope it doesn't happen to me), and it sounds like a visit to a tech is needed. It's definitely not working correctly.

But as to the FBV pedal, I too was puzzled by that, but all the pedal does is allow you to choose one of the four channels (A, B, C or D) in whichever User Bank (1-9) you happen to be in on the amp. With the Express pedal, you choose the User Bank on the amp itself (not with the pedal; though the Shortboard has extra controls to allow you to do that). Note that the FBV pedal only 'sees' the User Banks, so any guitar tones have to be in there. If you have a particular favourite in the amp's own built-in Line 6 tones, and want it accessible by pedal, you need to put a copy of that tone into one of the User Bank channels. There are nine User Banks, each with A, B, C and D, so that gives you 36 places to save to.

The FBV pedal has a further function in that it is the connection between the Jam amp and a computer: RJ-45 cable (ethernet-style, male both ends) from amp to pedal, USB-A/USB-B cable from pedal to computer (this USB cable is commonly used between home computers and home printers). That said, I can't find any Line 6 software for my iMac that recognises the Spider Jam.

All that will do is the functions shown on the the unit (bank changes, tuner, volume/wah). Something along the lines of the Shortboard

is more like the functions you're looking for (record/play and other functions). Express MkII, the USB is for firmware updates, pedal calibration and a couple of other things.

So, psakissian, Line 6 Staff Service Engineer Moderator – while we've got your attention! – am I right in saying that so far as the Spider Jam amp goes, there is no software at all (never has been) to allow one to edit Jam tones on-screen, or to install guitar tones downloaded from the Spider Jam users' tone library at: https://line6.com/customtone/browse/spiderjam/ If there isn't, we wonder how those Jam tones were exported from a Jam to be made available...  ;-)

psarkissian: Unfortunately, the SD card route seems to be only for WAV sound files. That is, for any recording you've made, or for loading a WAV backing track. And it's how you do firmware updates too. The .s4e and .l6t guitar tone files are invisible to the receiving Jam, which is why the only other method - connecting to your computer via Monkey, as per ye olde Pod I have - is the only other option. Except it isn't, because it doesn't exist.

It might be that my Spider Jam is faulty, but I've asked this specific question in the Spider Jam part of the Forums, and although there have been plenty of 'views', there hasn't been a single response. I guess that tells its own story. Even someone saying, "yes, that's correct, it is not possible to do it, no software exists" would be helpful.

I don't expect you, personally, to be an expert on the Line 6 Spider Jam, or in any way responsible as a Line 6 employee for what is now a 'legacy product' but reading between the lines of your response it seems that Line 6 itself is scratching its head on this... or is unwilling to admit that its own product has a glaring shortcoming. Admittedly the Spider Jam is now out of production, so it is unrealistic of me to expect Line 6 to take any interest in this... but at some point it was in production, and sold to its customer base without a key feature that seems to be standard everywhere else, including other products before and after in the Line 6 range.

• 1 year later...