Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any idea what we can expect in the next update? 2.65 or 2.70?

willjrock

I don't know about what to expect.

I just have some personal hopes/desires on the subject. 

They are in no particular order:

A couple new flavors of HX reverbs. 

A new high gain amp, or two - An Engl, Diezel, Randall Satan, Bogner XTC etc.

Some new L6 Original models

Metering - Input/output and some clip indicators on blocks. 

I would like to see some surprise distortion pedals, and some new compressors as well, maybe a new delay. 

I think a transient-shaper would be really cool too...

I would be happy with even one of those things above, thrilled if there were two. 

• Like 1

I think that an update should coming soon. But i don't know if there will be a lot of new sounds and effects....

The main add i see is a way to program powercab (plus) speakers changing without a midi cable but just with the L6 link.

There are many users who ask for this improvement. I think it would be a mistake from L6 if the next update don't bring that.

It could bring us other good surprises !

Well, as far as what's in it and when it will be there pretty much ZERO chance of anyone knowing anything that would be willing to share the info.  We are dealing with Line 6...and that's just how they roll.

As far as my wish list, it's pretty simple.  I'd be happy with just some additional utility and management functions such as signal metering and more comprehensive IR management.  I wouldn't be upset if they decided to include some other interesting vintage computers like a Fender blackface Vibrolux or a different Matchless variation.

• Upvote 2

I posted elsewhere but I'd love for them to change it so adding in one of the effects loops doesn't take up it's own block on HX/Helix since it's just changing the audio routing internally rather than creating an effect like the other blocks; would make such a difference on the HX (at least for me) since there's a lot less blocks available than the full Helix

7 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

I wouldn't be upset if they decided to include some other interesting vintage computers like a Fender blackface Vibrolux or a different Matchless variation.

I agree. I don't think a vintage-style clean amp has been added since the Matchless were added. I know I'm probably wrong about that, but it just seems like there's been a lot of new modern high gain and dirty models recently, and a lot of those were very cool, but maybe they'll swing back in the other direction for a while.

Also, I would be personally happy to see some new refinements to the snapshot interface, from a preset construction point of view. I love using snapshots, but there are a few small things that would just make this process a lot smoother for me:  (1) When I add a new block, let me decide whether it should be on or off for the rest of the snapshots; (2) maybe a section of the bypass control submenu lets you quickly set which snapshots the block is bypassed in; (3) let me change the footswitch layout between snapshots. I like the 4 snapshot/4 stomp layout, but it would open things up a lot more if those 4 stomps could be set per snapshot. Now that I think of it, for my purposes this could be pretty well handled using multiple presets. But those would just be to suit my personal preferences.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, shanecgriffo said:

some sort of tape saturation emulation so you can recreate some 50's-70's recorded tones 

I like that idea. Does anybody know if there a way to do something like this already using the Cosmic Delay by setting the feedback to 0% and the direct bypass parameter to "off" (I think I'm using the correct names for the Roland Space Echo model and its parameters, but please feel free to correct me if not). Does the tape delay have something similar to the direct bypass?

8 minutes ago, rzumwalt said:

I agree. I don't think a vintage-style clean amp has been added since the Matchless were added. I know I'm probably wrong about that, but it just seems like there's been a lot of new modern high gain and dirty models recently, and a lot of those were very cool, but maybe they'll swing back in the other direction for a while

I bet my personal fortune you're kidding... more clean amps???? Seriously??? You've got them all!!!!!

Bring the mean, ballsy, angry and obnoxious for the elderly High Gain Monsters!!!!! Diezel VH4, Randall Satan, EVH 5150 III, Engl E530, Diezel Herbert, Mesa Triple Recto!!!! And a Boss Ph1r Phaser... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, BAmartin said:

I bet my personal fortune you're kidding... more clean amps???? Seriously??? You've got them all!!!!!

Bring the mean, ballsy, angry and obnoxious for the elderly High Gain Monsters!!!!! Diezel VH4, Randall Satan, EVH 5150 III, Engl E530, Diezel Herbert, Mesa Triple Recto!!!! And a Boss Ph1r Phaser... 

This, we just recently got Matchless, Placater clean ch, and Texas cali clean channels.  Before that we got some good mid gain, and early break up level amps. 

What we could use is some love for the high gain. I would love more Engl, Diezel, or Randall Satan.  But honestly I would like some more esoteric models (or at least some that aren't found in a lot of other modellers) like Diamond amps, and the Cartographer we got a while back. As well as some more Line6 originals that cover the entire spectrum from clean, chime, slight breakup, mid gain, and heavy monsters. 

I personally hope it isn't yet another Marshall.   We have more than enough in the Helix for now,  like almost a dozen compared to 1 Engl amp, and 1 Deizel amp.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lachdanan0121 said:

This, we just recently got Matchless, Placater clean ch, and Texas cali clean channels.  Before that we got some good mid gain, and early break up level amps. 

What we could use is some love for the high gain. I would love more Engl, Diezel, or Randall Satan.  But honestly I would like some more esoteric models (or at least some that aren't found in a lot of other modellers) like Diamond amps, and the Cartographer we got a while back. As well as some more Line6 originals that cover the entire spectrum from clean, chime, slight breakup, mid gain, and heavy monsters. 

I personally hope it isn't yet another Marshall.   We have more than enough in the Helix for now,  like almost a dozen compared to 1 Engl amp, and 1 Deizel amp.

Yes, but I don't think of the Placater Clean and Texas Ch 1 as very vintage sounding, although I admit its a pretty subjective term. And I think Line 6's goal with the Marshalls is to say, "Hey, remember when you and your idiot friends put together that crappy garage band in high school and you spent all your money on the loudest amp possible and all you managed to do was get the cops called on your friend's lame house party that weekend his parents were out of town?...No?...Well, here's three more Marshall models...now do you remember?" 

I would like to see a frequency versus level graph depiction for each EQ.  This is a more intuitive way to see how the EQ is being shaped by the settings, particularly with a parametric- you can see how the Q is being setup.  Is it a Notch filter or is it a wider bump or cut.

Gain level controls would simply move the graph up or down for the selected cut or boost for other types of EQs.

16 hours ago, rzumwalt said:

Yes, but I don't think of the Placater Clean and Texas Ch 1 as very vintage sounding, although I admit its a pretty subjective term. And I think Line 6's goal with the Marshalls is to say, "Hey, remember when you and your idiot friends put together that crappy garage band in high school and you spent all your money on the loudest amp possible and all you managed to do was get the cops called on your friend's lame house party that weekend his parents were out of town?...No?...Well, here's three more Marshall models...now do you remember?" 

There are plenty of vintage sounding amps in the Helix for me atm, what I (and many other metal players using Helix) could use more of is some modern high gain amps. I am not saying that I wouldn't mind more vintage sounding amps in later updates, however high-gain is where their focus should be in my opinion for the next update, or even two. 

Lets hope L6 gives it a rest with the Marshalls for a while.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, jmp22684 said:

You're*

Hehehe. 

Maybe line 6 could add a grammar block to automatically correct output variances.

Touche'  you got me there.  I missed an apostrophe, and an "e".... oh my!

However the sarcastic point remains.

Its something to love. The fact that people focus more on grammar & spelling than the message even if clear as day, especially if rubbed the wrong way, and everyone is. Oh well, moving on.

17 hours ago, jmp22684 said:

Isn't this what the instants are? I use those to control an rjm unit.

Instants? If you mean "stomp mode", then yes that's what I am currently using, but I am  missing the benefits of snapshots. Mainly being able to use multiple switches control the same blocks. I don't want to have to go between snapshot and stomp mode to change presets on my Sy300 and bypass the synth and turn on an amp and a couple other blocks.   I want to be able to do that by stepping on one switch.

The instances in control center change per snapshot. I pretty much rely solely on snapshots to send midi and handle all amp switching via the RJM unit.

To the extent that I am building a full midi rack unit made up of analog pedals only (it's taking a LONG time, not a cheap venture) and plan on keeping the helix only for it's midi capabilities purely because I LOVE the snapshot setup for handling midi commands and for it's midi clock out.

I'd like them to focus on improvements to the overall aspects of the HELIX rather than more models.

There's a lot that can be improved - from :

more than one global EQ preset

global presets for control centre settings

better  USB Input/output routing options - at patch level AND GLOBAL level

presets per effect/amp type

a more accessible way to adjust USB 1/2 level 

better integration of iOS devices via USB into the HELIX

iOS  Editor / control of the HELIX

HELIX NATIVE - much more flexible options on mapping MIDI CC messages to aspects in HN plugin like SNAPSHOTS

( currently its a fixed CC for ALL snapshots with the value determining the snapshot - index but many hardware MIDI foot controllers have fixed CC for each pedal so this won't work to change snapshots in HN ) 

......to name a few.

oh..... and a POLYTONE model  :) 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, sergekolchin said:

Is it possible to implement in the new version the following: XLR output to mixer with speaker emulation (Impulse Response) but 1/4" output to amp without it in the same circuit of the preset? 

Hi there...It's already in the helix. I'm doing that with my band as we speak and i even use a footswitch to turn on of off my xlr output.
Real easyy to do.

If you have any questions just pm me!

On 9/24/2018 at 1:26 PM, BAmartin said:

I agree with more classic clean stuff. Enough with the high gain. Bring more classic rock okdrr uses in and see sales increase.A Tone King Imperial would be amazing. A good amp needs to clean up and a couple if the high gains do that beautifully.  But I still find clean slightly sounds lacking. True clean. Tons of slightly clean there. 

14 hours ago, me_pouet said:

On my part the feature i would love to have is the tone match fuction.

Dont' know if it can be done easilly.

Maybe Helix 2. I highly doubt it's built into this one though the comment was once made there are still things to be turned on within the Helix. 

11 hours ago, BigRalphN said:

I agree with more classic clean stuff. Enough with the high gain. Bring more classic rock okdrr uses in and see sales increase.A Tone King Imperial would be amazing. A good amp needs to clean up and a couple if the high gains do that beautifully.  But I still find clean slightly sounds lacking. True clean. Tons of slightly clean there. 

No, not enough with the high gain.

Enough with the Marshalls. We could still use more high gain options. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Lachdanan0121 said:

No, not enough with the high gain.

Enough with the Marshalls. We could still use more high gain options. 

Even though there are not a lot of "cleanish vintage sounds" on the list by name, that sound is still pretty easily achievable. Line 6 Doom does some nice clean sounds(my fav actually), SLO clean channel, Zed, J45, Brit Trem, Litigator,  A30 fawn, Jazz Rivet, Cali Rythm I....they all do that sound well enough to make me feel like there is no shortage in the clean tones department.

Actually most any of the amps can made to do clean tones pretty easily.  No need to add amps that completely forego the heavier sounds just for the sake of calling them "clean amps". I say bring on the versatility.

For sure the amps you put on your list, here. Would like to see a Powerball as well. Definitely a selection from Randall and Diezel.  Dont be afraid to get creative. Dont be afraid to take risks. Please though, any new additions,  quality over quantity by a large margin.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly... I'm really happy with my HX Effects as is...BUT if there's ONE thing I would like to see changed is that the Expression Inputs be able to work like how the new HX Stomp's Expression/Footswitch input works so I wouldn't need two expression pedals on my board to operate a wah and volume pedal but rather get the Mission Engineering Line6 expression with the switch and toggle between Volume and Wah.... that would really make my rig that much more streamlined.... 

Don`t get your hopes too high, dear forum people... DI has already stated on the TGP forum that 2.70 is just important from a software developing point of view... and that it`ll only bring two controvesial additions which aren´t even amps or effects... We`re gonna have to wait patientally until 2.80 comes maybe in November or December... He promessed himself new amps and fx models. According to what he said, this new software recoding will extend the life of Helix and even take it to a next level of processing which was unthinkable when it was released back in 2015. So... better grab a chair, sit down and wait...

He`s the man, though.