Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Snapshots & Presets

Paultm

Sure understood, 

It's not the amount of snapshots but the switchable effects I use within each snapshots

I use 4 snapshots.....

Clean

Crunch

Overdrive

Heavy overdrive

Which leaves only 4 switchable effects buttons, if I need more I have to go into Mode to access more effects to use.

Considering using a non snapshot preset to give me more flexibility.

34 minutes ago, Paultm said:

Considering using a non snapshot preset to give me more flexibility. 

There's nothing you can do in a preset in which you don't use snapshots that you can't do in a preset that you do have snapshots set up... I guess I don't understand your point.

Mine is set up like this:

Global/Preferences

Preset Mode Switches = 8 Snapshots

Stomp Mode Switches = 10 Switches

Snapshot Mode Switches = Auto Return

Up/Down Switches = Banks

In Preset Mode, I see all eight snapshots and the two far left buttons (FS1 and FS7) show Bank UP and Bank DOWN. By pressing either one I can see the two currently available banks of four presets. When I select one the display returns to eight Snapshots.

When I press the MODE button I have access to all 10 available switches for that Snapshot. Press MODE again to return to Snapshots.

Short of having twenty buttons, it doesn't get much simpler than that! You could, of course, have a second foot controller programmed to select Snapshots, then you would only need to use MODE to switch between Stomps and Presets. How much real estate have you got?

I was about to start a new post about pretty much this, and I think I know what you mean by using a non-snapshot preset. I would like to be able to change which four stomps are displayed in the 4 snaps x 4 stomps configuration when I change snapshots in the same preset. I only use one snapshot for most songs I play, and I prefer to use the stomps for changes within a song as much as possible. I would also like to be able to use just one preset during a set and use snapshots and stomps to hit every tone I need. It keeps me from worrying about wildly inconsistent volumes between presets or using new presets I'm not familiar with and forgetting whether my "Gain 2" snapshot is the one with a bunch of delay I don't want. The obvious downside is that I need to wear tap dancing shoes if I want to use more than 4 stomps in a set.

So I was thinking about just making several copies of the preset I want to use during a set with the main difference between them being which four stomps are visible in the 4x4 configuration. I was going to start a new post asking if anyone has tried this, how it worked out, and any tips they can share. But I'll just ask it here.

4 minutes ago, rzumwalt said:

I was about to start a new post about pretty much this, and I think I know what you mean by using a non-snapshot preset. I would like to be able to change which four stomps are displayed in the 4 snaps x 4 stomps configuration when I change snapshots in the same preset. I only use one snapshot for most songs I play, and I prefer to use the stomps for changes within a song as much as possible. I would also like to be able to use just one preset during a set and use snapshots and stomps to hit every tone I need. It keeps me from worrying about wildly inconsistent volumes between presets or using new presets I'm not familiar with and forgetting whether my "Gain 2" snapshot is the one with a bunch of delay I don't want. The obvious downside is that I need to wear tap dancing shoes if I want to use more than 4 stomps in a set.

So I was thinking about just making several copies of the preset I want to use during a set with the main difference between them being which four stomps are visible in the 4x4 configuration. I was going to start a new post asking if anyone has tried this, how it worked out, and any tips they can share. But I'll just ask it here.

See my response just above your question. If you're only using one preset at a time, one press of the MODE switch toggles between Snapshots and Stomps. That's not "Tap dancing". Otherwise, setting "Global/Preferences/Preset Mode Switches" to Snaps/Stomps or Stomps/Snaps selects four different Stomps. I think the selection of stomps has to do with what's in Path 1 vs Path 2. Beyond that, no there's no way to select SPECIFICALLY which Stomps will be displayed. If it's important, there's a request for that ability on Ideascale that you can vote on.

15 minutes ago, rzumwalt said:

Half the point of snapshots is to be able to change multiple parameters, and/or toggle multiple FX on or off with one tap of a footswitch. You can put enough individual FX blocks in your chain to choke a horse and control them all with a selection of snapshots, named accordingly... wet gain, dry grain, wet clean... etc etc etc. You don't have to tap dance anymore unless you want to.

22 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Half the point of snapshots is to be able to change multiple parameters, and/or toggle multiple FX on or off with one tap of a footswitch. You can put enough individual FX blocks in your chain to choke a horse and control them all with a selection of snapshots, named accordingly... wet gain, dry grain, wet clean... etc etc etc. You don't have to tap dance anymore unless you want to.

Ok so here is my challenge...

I have 4 base snapshot sounds Clean, Crunch, Overdrive & Heavy Overdrive.

I have 3 delays, flanger, rotary, chorus, boost, phaser that need to be available for any of my base sounds.

So 8 snapshots will not work all those different combinations , which is why I have to go into Mode to toggle more stomps.

Just want to see if there is any better way of working presets.

11 hours ago, Paultm said:

I have 3 delays, flanger, rotary, chorus, boost, phaser that need to be available for any of my base sounds.

So 8 snapshots will not work all those different combinations , which is why I have to go into Mode to toggle more stomps.

I think what you're forgetting is you have PLENTY of presets.  You really don't have to cram every possible thing into one preset you know....it's not against the law to change to different presets once in a while.

15 hours ago, Paultm said:

I think it just requires thinking a little differently about how you approach things. You have eight snapshots in a preset to work with, and each of those can be a very different thing. I also like to set Preset View to 8 Snapshots, and then it's simple to get into Stomp Mode if I need to. So in my case, I'm not really thinking that I have a separate Clean, Crunch, Overdrive, Heavy Overdrive core sounds as much I have core sounds that include effects. One of my main gigging presets has the following snapshots:

1. Clean

2. Crunch + Dynamic Delay

3. Crunch Dotted 8th Delay

4. Big Washy Reverb

5. Crunch Trem

6. 1/4 Note Delay Crunch

7. Clean Rotary

8. Big Lead w/ lots of delay

I guess the one thing is I don't necessarily think of my different gain settings as being hugely different from each other, as much as them existing on a sliding scale. I can still get relatively clean on my crunch snapshot by rolling the volume back. If I need a little more, I can go into Stomp Mode quickly and hit another drive on.

The other thing you might want to try is changing the function of FS1 & FS7 to Preset Up and Down. That way you can quickly change presets from Preset Mode without having to leave whatever snapshot view you have there. If the presets you use most often are similar to each other, it's almost like having one big preset with a bunch of snapshots available.

2 hours ago, Paultm said:

Not looking for sarcasm, some of you on here are so up your own arses you rather mock than give helpful insight.....

I think they were just saying that sometimes you have to consider different approaches. I have one band where I need about 10 different 'sounds', and rather than try and do without a couple of them, or trying to find some combination of 4 snapshots and 4 stomps, I just have 2 adjacent presets that give me whichever permutation of 8 from 10 I need for specific songs.

If you can get away with 10 stomps, then there is a global setting to enable that many stomps, and if you can get your 4 amp 'channels' onto that somehow, you might be okay. You also might be able to repurpose the expression pedal toe switch for something, and if you don't use the volume pedal at all you could set that to fade another effect in.

But if you absolutely need to be able to vary each of 8 effects and 4 amp 'channels' each with their own button, then no, I don't see how it can be possible.

3 hours ago, Paultm said:

Not looking for sarcasm, some of you on here are so up your own arses you rather mock than give helpful insight.....

Different tack.

Consider the possible combinations of 8 effects:

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 = 8

PLUS

1+2,1+3,1+4,1+5,1+6,1+7,1+8 = 7

PLUS

1+2+3,1+2+4,1+2+5,1+2+6,1+2+7,1+2+8 = 6

That's already a lot of Snapshots. There's a formula you can use to get the total possible combinations. Suffice it to say, it's A LOT!

Eight Snapshots and one tap access from each to 10 of the possible 16 effects blocks is enough possible combinations for most people, and more control than is provided by any other device I know of.

On 9/24/2018 at 2:02 PM, rd2rk said:

See my response just above your question. If you're only using one preset at a time, one press of the MODE switch toggles between Snapshots and Stomps. That's not "Tap dancing". Otherwise, setting "Global/Preferences/Preset Mode Switches" to Snaps/Stomps or Stomps/Snaps selects four different Stomps. I think the selection of stomps has to do with what's in Path 1 vs Path 2. Beyond that, no there's no way to select SPECIFICALLY which Stomps will be displayed. If it's important, there's a request for that ability on Ideascale that you can vote on.

On 9/24/2018 at 2:02 PM, cruisinon2 said:

Yeah, I know. I'm just saying this would be a little more useful. For my purposes, anyway. And you may not consider it tap-dancing, but look...I'm really lazy, so pouring a bowl of Cap'n Cruch is at least a Fox Trot to me. Pressing the mode button, choosing a footswitch, and then pressing the mode button again...I'm sweating just thinking about it.

But if I find the multi-preset approach useful, I'll be sure to post an update.