Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Awesomeslaw

So I picked up a HD500 which seems amazing except for the fact that I only have an iPad and it isn't compatible with any software to download patches. Only a few of the factory ones really sound decent to me and I've played with building a few. So not sure if I should have gotten a firehawk instead so I could control it with my iPad? Let's face it once I get my main 8-12 tones I likely won't use a whole lot more.

1- is there a place I can get tones listed vs a patch? So I can just type them in. I'm not a country guy but I wouldn't mind building a paisley like tone.

2- did I mess up and should have gotten the firehawk since I don't own a computer...

3 hours ago, Awesomeslaw said:

1- is there a place I can get tones listed vs a patch? So I can just type them in. I'm not a country guy but I wouldn't mind building a paisley like tone.

2- did I mess up and should have gotten the firehawk since I don't own a computer...

1) If you're asking for a list of individual parameters that you'd enter manually, I think the answer is no... there are so many things to tweak that even a simple patch would end up with a list of dozens of discrete settings... basic amp settings, the deep-edit parameters for the cab sims, FX settings,  EQ, input impedance, footswitch assignments, etc. etc... it's endless. You'd need a whole lot more patience than I've got to write all that crap down, and I'm not aware of such lists having been complied anywhere... I'm getting tired just thinking about it, ;)

2) You don't need a computer per se, as you can edit/create patches on the unit itself, and it's important that you know how to do that if you need to make changes quickly at a gig. But, it certainly is a whole lot quicker and easier with the edit software. There's also the issue of backing up your patches...for that you do need a computer. If you don't have a backup, sooner or later you'll be sorry. On a long enough timeline everything crashes, and starting from scratch after a factory reset really sucks.

Without a computer, your unit will function as intended. You will simply lack the bonus items. 

Think of it like a car. If you have a garage to park in, your automatic street parking feature, your auto-start, and your side mirror heaters are all useless. But the car still drives. 

I've said this in other threads but I used to 'mod my POD' with a computer. I needed to make some changes on the fly (luckily at a rehearsal not a gig) and I couldn't/didn't know how to do it. I therefore learned how to craft a tone with the knobs on the POD and now I rarely connect it to a computer.

I would say your are in a better position then most as you can learn to craft your tones straight on to the unit so won't have that 'oopps' moment...

There is a view that will list some of the patches in a setlist...press the view button until you see a list...I think you can only see 8 at a time...

HD Edit is handy, but I only use it to backup tones...I never use it to tweak tones...I can't remember the last time I hooked up Edit actually.