Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with DAW --> can only use USB1/2

Oli_W

Hi,

I am looking for instructions on how to be able to use all eight USB "channels" of the Helix on a Win10 PC with a DAW Software lile Audacity or Reaper.

Both my PC and my Helix have the latest drivers/ firmware, yet it seems, Audacity and Reaper can only access USB1 and 2. I have not succeeded in recording any dry signals from USB7/8. I have tried with both Mic and Guitar Inputs.

Anybody who can share, how to configure the driver / DAW Software correctly?

Cheers

Oli

Check the audio device settings in Repear and make sure you have all 8 inputs and outputs defined by setting the first (1) and last (8) dropdowns for the inputs, and the same for the outputs. Now a track should be able to access all inputs and outputs.

Don't know about Audacity.

Any DAW should do this as long as you have correct drivers installed, and it setup properly in your audio/ASIO settings.

I don't use those DAWs, I use FL studio, but I can very easily and intuitively (using FL studio's wonderful mixer) to use any of the channels. Matter of fact I never record USB 1&2. I usually only record USB 7 (dry guitar), and USB 8 (dry vocals). Then ReAmp in my DAW using Native, or other plugins. 

Thanks for the answers :)

I have configured Reaper (hopefully) accordingly, still, no signal on Inputs 7&8

Please see attached Image.

I have checked Windows Device Manager, but I can't find any channel options to be set there

Cheers Oli

Reaper_Options.PNG

4 minutes ago, duncann said:

Within Reaper, how are you checking for a signal from input 7 or 8?

On a track, make sure it's armed for recording and that the input is correct, either 7, 8, or both.

Checking by creating a new track, arming the track and then playing a bit on the guitar. When choosing inputs 1&2 I can see the signal on the meter as well as a waveform when recording. opposed to nothing on inputs 7&8 (having both of them configured on the Helix to carry the guitar Input)

6 minutes ago, Oli_W said:

Checking by creating a new track, arming the track and then playing a bit on the guitar. When choosing inputs 1&2 I can see the signal on the meter as well as a waveform when recording. opposed to nothing on inputs 7&8 (having both of them configured on the Helix to carry the guitar Input)

Are you by chance using a Variax plugged into the VDI input?

3 minutes ago, Oli_W said:

No Variax present

Just checking...

The one thing I'd mention is that the level of the signal coming from USB 7 & 8 can be quite low depending on how hot your pickups are. It's entirely possible that the waveform would look flat, although, I would expect that you should see some signal on the input meters for the track you're using.

Just tried again with a completely empty preset on the Helix for side by side comparison; still the same.

In the meantime, I tend to do a factory reset on the Helix and uninstall/ install all Line6 Software on the PC.... this is just strange

Before I start.... there is also an ASIO driver for my md20 on the computer. Last time I tried recording with the mixer, nothing would record at all. 

Do you think it’s possible the drivers kind of block each other?

cheers Oli

24 minutes ago, Oli_W said:

Before I start.... there is also an ASIO driver for my md20 on the computer. Last time I tried recording with the mixer, nothing would record at all. 

Do you think it’s possible the drivers kind of block each other?

cheers Oli

It shouldn't matter... I have drivers for like half a dozen or so Line 6 devices installed on my system.

2 hours ago, njglover said:

USB 1&2 are for the effected signal. After that, you have to specify where the direct signal is being sent, so make sure you've set that up on the Helix or you may not get any signal to those because, well, it isn't sending any signal there.

Even with the default Helix setting the Dry guitar should come through usb 7, and dry vocals through usb 8.

Sorry, been offline for a while. Thanks for your suggestions!

Finally, it is working.

Attempt No.1 Removing all Line6 Software from the computer

• All Software but Line6WinUSB Driver 1.0.0.0 unsinstalled cleanly. Ignored the later, re-installed Helix Driver 1.91
  • Set Helix in Windows as exclusive playback and recording device, disabling all others explicitly 

--> still not working :(

Attempt No.2 Removing all Line6 Software from the computer and manually clean Windows Registry

•  Uninstalled Helix Driver from Attempt No.1. Deleted ALL Line6 entries from Windows Registry manually.  Reboot and re-install 1.91. Reboot
  • Set Helix in Windows as exclusive playback and recording device, disabling all others explicitly 
  • Start Reaper->Options->Preferences and Helix ASIO was shown as Default, with Ins and Outs 1...8 enabled automatically

--> everything working fine. :-)

I will gradually add other Line 6 Software now. Let's hope. Will re-post on this thread if new issues come up.

Cheers

Oli