Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix update killed it

bardage

So, I´ve seen plenty of posts here of people having a "dead helix" after trying to update it, so I guess it just was my turn. 

I recently realized that I´ve never updated the firmware in my helix, and was gona do that. In the updating process I suddenly just got an error in the line 6 updater, telling me to restart the helix and try again. But it doesnt seem like anything helps. The helix is just flashing on the led screen between the helix logo, and the helix rack logo, for some reason. I have a Helix floor so thats kind of weird. I did go through the checklist that is provided in the line 6 updater as well. After searching through forums on the internet, i´m apparently not the only one who has had this problem. I tried all the hotkey commands on start up, while holding down buttons, and none of them seem to help either. Only when i try to start it up in safe mode, the screen is not flashing, and there is no logo there. Anyway, would love to get some help.

Try a different USB cable and/or port if possible. That's the first step.  You can also force the Helix to go into update mode by holding down footswitches 6 & 12 when starting up. So I would try that and then opening Line 6 Updater.

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

Try a different USB cable and/or port if possible. That's the first step.  You can also force the Helix to go into update mode by holding down footswitches 6 & 12 when starting up. So I would try that and then opening Line 6 Updater.

I have tried that many times, Still getting the error. HX edit cant even find the device, but it does show up in the line 6 updater. I have also switched up the usb ports, on my mac and my pc, doesnt make any difference.. 

This sort of thing is why I have two of them, one as a backup. Nothing against Helix, but DSPs in general are always susceptible to this sort of thing.

That being said, in two years of gigging almost every weekend, never have needed the backup. Converse of Murphy's Law, I guess...

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, BarrySandman said:

Can please someone tell me the rutin again,,this is my thourd time off update`s but today nothing happend? i connect to Imac as usual,,everything connect,with HXedit and Floor,,i upload the file and start it,Nothing happend?

Hi,

There are other posts detailing the v2.70 “marketplace” update process, but I guess you must have missed them, so try this:

First thing to do is go here:

https://line6.com/software/

Now you are on the Line 6 downloads page, you should select HX Edit under the All Software tab and then whatever version of Windows, or Mac OS you are using from All OS on the dropdown menus. This will take you to the current version 2.70 HX Edit “The Marketplace Update” download page. This is the only thing you need to download and install first.

When you install HX Edit it will also install the latest Line6 Updater v1.15 and any other drivers etc., that you may need. After the new HX Edit software has been installed, reboot your computer.

When you’ve done this, run the HX Edit software and from the menu select the option to make a back up. This will make a backup of all your stuff in your Helix, presets, global, IRs etc. When this has finished shutdown HX Edit, then launch the new Line 6 Updater v1.15. If all your USB connections are good the Updater should see your Helix. You can now proceed with the firmware upgrade to firmware v 2.70, over your internet connection. Do not disconnect or turn off the power to your Helix during this update process. When completed your Helix will reboot and rebuild the presets, then you are good to go, no hardware reset is required.

Hope this helps/makes sense

• Upvote 1

thanks a lot,,but i said i had connection to my HxEdit and download the file i need for my Imac high sierra,but nothing happend? Done this as i told tree time before,and everything worked fine,,so there must be something i do wrong? But what?? Try to find the anything in the updater? Nada?

4 hours ago, BarrySandman said:

thanks a lot,,but i said i had connection to my HxEdit and download the file i need for my Imac high sierra,but nothing happend? Done this as i told tree time before,and everything worked fine,,so there must be something i do wrong? But what?? Try to find the anything in the updater? Nada?

Sounds like you may be downloading the firmware file directly and clicking on it rather than downloading HX Edit. If that is not the issue try changing USB ports and a different USB cable. The following should roughly be your procedure:

1. Scroll down on the Line6 website's downloads page for your device and OS and download "HX Edit".
  2. Click on the "HX Edit" file and it and it will unpack HX Edit, the Updater, and the driver onto your computer.
  3. Use the 'LIne 6 Updater' to update your firmware(do backups first with HX Edit). Remember, the Updater will not see your Helix if you have HX Edit up at the same time as the Updater; you need to close HX Edit before bringing up the Updater.

23 hours ago, BarrySandman said:

Hello again,

O.K. you can connect your iMac to your Helix Floor unit by using USB to HXEdit. - Yes?

Your problem is that you are unable to install the latest v2.70 firmware onto your Helix? - Yes?

If you have followed the directions which I provided in the previous post, something must have gone wrong with the installation after the download of the software.

When you first bought your Helix, and connected it to your Mac, the Line 6 software that came with the unit would have been placed in a folder named Line6 within your Applications folder. This is where HX Edit should be. If you go to that folder you can check that you have the correct version installed. If for some reason you have moved the Editor, then maybe you have an alias pointing back to the older version and that can cause the problem.

When you launch HX edit, you will be able to tell if it is the latest version, because in the bottom left corner of the editor screen is a new button named "My Account" - if that is not there then you should remove the old version of HXEdit, and any shortcut/alias that is attached to it, then install the correct version - you cannot update without this step. If you check, and you have the correct v2.70 HX Edit, close it down and/or any other Line 6 software which may be running. In fact shut down all applications the are not needed. Now you can run the Updater, which should be version 1.15 - if it is not, then you will not be able to update. You must use version 1.15 Updater and if your USB connection is good, you will be able to download the latest Firmware over the internet and directly into your hardware Helix. After installation the Helix will re-boot and rebuild the presets. You can run the new HXEdit and in the bottom bar of the screen will be an icon of the Helix 2.70. if it says Helix 2.60 or something else then the update has failed.

You must double check that you are using the correct versions of all the software for this to work.

If you have tried all these methods and your Helix still appears to be not responding as it should, you could try any of the inbuilt reset options that are listed here:

https://helixhelp.com/reset-options/

Hope this makes sense.

Good luck

13 hours ago, jcallon said:

i have a issue with marketplace any time i try to put the bought presets in i get a error saying i need to verify my computer i did this threw liscence manager and still have same issue

Hi,

This is from the “Marketplace FAQ” page:

Activation requires internet connectivity. How often will I need an internet connection?

You will need to have an active internet connection every time you use a newly purchased product. The connection is needed so that our system can validate your license. Once a product was used at least once, the system remembers its state and will allow usage offline without internet access.

Find more answers here:

Hope this helps/makes sense.

i of cause as a stupid lollipop i am ,,upgrade IOS to mojave,,everything looked good so far,,go to my Logix and open a song,everything sound like normal,everything fine,, intill i want to open my Native to change sound,, i do,,,click OUT of Logic,,where is the problem? i check in audio- manager everything look fine? 

15 hours ago, BarrySandman said:

i of cause as a stupid lollipop i am ,,upgrade IOS to mojave,,everything looked good so far,,go to my Logix and open a song,everything sound like normal,everything fine,, intill i want to open my Native to change sound,, i do,,,click OUT of Logic,,where is the problem? i check in audio- manager everything look fine? 

Hi Barry,

Your comment is rather confusing!

If I understand correctly, then it seems that you have updated your Mac to OSX Mojave and now your copy of Native no longer works?

If you have an issue with HX Native it has it’s own forum area for solving problems with that product.

I suggest that you post your question about Native here:

https://line6.com/support/forum/90-helix-native/

You will have a better chance of finding someone who can help find a solution.