Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Helix with Combo amp low volume?

N-Tower

Hi all!

I have recently purchased a Helix LT and love it so far! I have been using it with headphones and for recording mostly, and I have been thoroughly impressed with the sound quality and results. 

For live performances I use a Peavey Valveking 212 100w combo amp, but i have been struggling to get good results with the Helix!

I can get a great clean tone going using a fender twin reverb preamp, but the volume level is miserably low drowning completely out in the "band" mix. I have maxed volume on the Peavey, both channel and master settings on the helix preamp and even maxed the volume in global EQ too. For my high gain patch i use a cali recti preamp and get good volume but a very "crunchy" and "digital" tone. I plug in straight to the amp input via the l/ mono on helix, maybe this is the problem? 

So in short, does anyone have sexperience using this thing with a combo amp and achieving good results? :-) 

I have considered selling the Peavey and getting a Headrush FRFR-112 instead. Does anyone have experience with this? 

Best rocking regards, N  

Well...plugging straight into the amp input is the first problem.  The concept is that if you're going to go into an normal amp head, using an amp model you generally use an amp model and go into an effects return which bypasses the pre amp and uses only the power amp side of the head.  If you're using a guitar amp and speakers you simply use the amp model but not a cabinet or IR because you already have a cabinet.  That's the general concept, but there are people that have done otherwise and are happy with it.  But it can be a challenge.  I really can't answer why your volume is so low unless there some form of limiter circuit in your amp input that's capping out the level in order to protect the amp circuit.

Going to some form of FRFR type powered speaker certainly simplifies things, but you need to carefully consider these because you tend to get what you pay for and wattage ratings tend to be not so important as are several other factors, and you get what you pay for generally with these things.  You owe it to yourself to do some real-life examination of these things before you jump into them.  Most of us that have been using these for a while have found it's well worth the money to get a premium style speaker like a QSC K series or Yamaha DXR series to get premium style results.  But there's also some very good mid-priced units like the Electrovoice EV-ZLX12p and some of the JBL's that work well for you.  The other alternative for you might also be something like the Line 6 Powercab as that tends to be in a good space between a traditional guitar amp and a FRFR style speaker.

Thanks for the reply! 

I will try connecting to the return of the Peavey amp at the first given chance. So you think the Headrush FRFR-112 may be too cheap? I have seen it compared to the Alto 212 elsewhere and they appear to be quite similar. 

My local music shop offers a return for store credit after 14 days, so i think i will give the headrush a try. I play in a hard rock/metal act and I am mostly worried it will not be loud enough and I will have to max out the volume sacrificing tone and clarity, to cut through the mix..