Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix without an amp, straight to PA.

shutupandshave

I play in a small band that has a decent line amp PA.  

We've had some bad luck with a couple of guitar amps recently and was wondering if we can DI the Helix straight out to the PA.  The PA has the headroom for it, but usually guitar amps smoosh most frequencies above 6k (apparently).

Is there some kind of setting for the helix that I can activate that will do something similar when going straight into the PA?  

8 hours ago, tjbassoon said:

You want to utilize the Global EQ feature. Page 41 of the manual.

This is really not a good idea.  So bad in fact that Line 6 advises not to do it in the manual except when correcting for room acoustics.

Granted it's the easiest way to do it, but with some pretty significant implications.  There is nothing you can do in global EQ that you can't do better in a final parametric EQ within the preset.  If you have more than one preset or snapshot, chances are the cuts you need to apply will vary based on any number of factors such as, the guitar being used, the amp model, the cabinet/IR, type of mic/combo of mics and mic placement.  I have over 150 presets and the high cuts range from no cuts at the high end to 8.5 Khz.  There's a good likelihood if you use global eq you may affect the overtones in the upper range depending on how you've set up a particular patch.  Adjusting each patch with a final EQ gives you the ability to address that, global EQ doesn't.

The best way to correct for high end differences is to do first do it the natural way with your selection of cabinet, selection of mic or combination of mics, and the placement and mixes of those mics.  Then adjust whatever is left using a final EQ.

In three years of use with my Helix I've never used global EQ.  If the room acoustics are such that things need to be adjusted, they should be adjusted at the mixer because those same room acoustics affect ALL channels equally.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

the amp model, the cabinet/IR, type of mic/combo of mics and mic placement.  

The best way to correct for high end differences is to do first do it the natural way with your selection of cabinet, selection of mic or combination of mics, and the placement and mixes of those mics.  

Appreciate the post but I am not sure you've read the original post.

As my OP said, I dont have any of those things at the moment (guitar amp/mics/etc).  Guitar amp is dead, is there a way of modelling guitar amps that cuts the usual frequencies guitar amps cut (while I get my guitar amp fixed)

2 hours ago, shutupandshave said:

Appreciate the post but I am not sure you've read the original post.

As my OP said, I dont have any of those things at the moment (guitar amp/mics/etc).  Guitar amp is dead, is there a way of modelling guitar amps that cuts the usual frequencies guitar amps cut (while I get my guitar amp fixed)

Didn't you say you own a Helix? One of the greatest features of a Helix is that it can replace your external amp/cab/mic and go direct. 

It has several "Amp / Cab / Mic" options..... choose the ones you want, and adjust as necessary. No external amp needed. 

If you have an amp loaded and find it too shrill... you may not have loaded a cab/mic. Double check! It is generally the cabinet and mic that roll off the high end of a guitar amp... same thing in the modeler. 

3 hours ago, shutupandshave said:

Apologies, it's not actually my Helix and I'm not playing hence I don't have the manual.  Sorry for the waste of time folks.  I'll try and find the manual and take a look.

Set up an amp and cab model, and if it's still too harsh on the high end, there's a High Cut on the cab model settings, or try different mics on the cab in that same settings tab. That's really the first place to go for what you are doing.