Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

best speaker for a variax?

andymguitar

A little more detail would help... what exactly are you trying to do? What else are you currently playing through? Unless you want nothing but a loud raw guitar signal, you'll need something else between the guitar and whatever speaker(s) you choose...POD, Helix, or some other 3rd party guitar modeler, etc.

18 hours ago, andymguitar said:

I have an XT live that I'm running it through. I mainly want the acoustic sounds to be less crappy really… 

Personally, I'd avoid Behringer... the Alto's are a favorite around here, Yamaha DXR series, Headrush has one more that's more or less identical to the Alto's, QSC, the StageSource stuff. Lots of options... much depends on your budget. Prices are all over the map.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2018 at 6:31 PM, andymguitar said:

I have an XT live that I'm running it through. I mainly want the acoustic sounds to be less crappy really… 

Acoustic models being “microphone” captured require nothing more or less than what you might do with a vocal/instrument microphone signal.  They're not like industry standard acoustic/electric guitar signals.  Takamine, Taylor, Baggs, Fishman, etc...

Variax acoustic is also quite a different sound from the electric models.  Some of us use XPS pedals to break out the acoustic sounds directly XLR to PA when going through traditional backline amps.  

To achieve decent acoustic tone when using any amp modeler with Variax turn OFF Amp/Cab and pedal simulations.  Look for simple clean preamp and a little reverb to process Variax acoustic models.  If you can get your electrics sounding good through a monitor amp you should be able to tweak a good preset for Variax acoustic models.  

Another thing which helps is to avoid hitting/playing the strings too hard.  These are usually light gauge electric setups with plain 3rd (G) - pluck/strum gently and you shall be rewarded with more convincing acoustic tones.