Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help with patch changes using Hx effect and H&K Grandmeister Deluxe 40

sullivanbailey1

Hello everyone! First time using the forums, so bear with me here. I recently bought a Hughes and Kettner GrandMeister 40 and would like to be able to switch presets on the amp using my HX effects. I’ve used the HX in the past for channel switching, but would like to be able to jump to different presets depending on the effect presets I’m using on the HX. I know I’d need to use the midi outs on both the head and HX, but am totally stumped on what to do from there. Any advice or tips?

Thanks in advance!

I don't have the HX, but I have a Helix floor and Grandmeister 40 and this is how I do it. I'm not sure if the HX has all the same configs/menus.  

1) Run a midi cable from the MIDI OUT on the HX to MIDI IN on the H&K. 

2) Under global settings, have the MIDI Base Channel set to 1. 

3) On your HX preset, go to Command Center.  Pick one of the "lightning bolts" (Instant 1, 2 etc.). 

4) Set Command to Bank/Program, MIDI Ch to 1, and the Program number will be whatever preset number you want on your Grandmeister, plus one.  For example, setting Program number 0 on the HX will actually be 1 on the H&K, etc. 

5) Set and save per preset and/or snapshot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You'll need to have presets set on the H&K, as you'll be using the HX just to switch between them.  You can set up snapshots on the HX to call up any H&K preset after that.  Up to 4 on the snapshots at a time on the HX I believe. 

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I know it was a few years ago when you spoke about this, but I found it really helpful (to a point). I have a HX Effects and a H&K GM36 and I followed your instructions above. It worked in that if I select Preset 14C on the HX it changes the amp to Preset 14C. The problem is that I also use an iPad with the amp which can be used to change all of the parameters on the amp. However when I connect the HX as above the iPad no longer controls the amp settings like volume effects etc. I can use it to change presets on the amp and it changes the presets on the HX. Am I asking too much of it or am I doing something wrong.  Thank you