Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Vintage preamp placement?

activateclint

Hi Guys and gals!

I have a question about the placement of the Vintage preamp. 

Im running a split path Top for acoustic and bottom for mic. Originally I had the vintage pre at the start of each path but it sounded negligible and average at best. Then I shifted the vintage pre to first spot then split the paths. Wowzer it sounded amazing!! Buuuuttt I then effectively have 1 path I think as all effects (eq and boost) afterwards effect both guitar and mic even tho it's split.  

Why does the preamp sound so much better like this? 

Do I need to start with the mixer and pan guitar left, mic right (i run mono out anyway) then split paths, then have the preamps? 

Maybe pramp, then panned mixer, then split? 

Help haha! 

Thanks. 

Not sure if that made sense but can i have?:

Vintage Pre > Split A (guitar) & B (mic) paths each with individual eq and effects > join at the mixer > etc...

Like this below? Because the signals sound really rich, clear, just not independent. 

1821972594_ScreenShot2018-10-03at10_04_58PM.png.b326d1692e165e1c55729f5a3aa53c62.png

Because when its like this below it sounds weak and bad for some reason?

114117198_ScreenShot2018-10-03at10_06_31PM.png.6ea2e9f8322b32f1d279e4df66e2b630.png

If you are running a guitar and mic, I think two completely separate paths will give you better results. I often use my pod for scratch tracking two guitar players and the approach is basically the same...mixer panned hard left and right...amp is split into dual mode...It does mean you need two channels for output...even if that system was a single powered monitor with two inputs summed mono, you would get better results imo.

Cheers spaceatl! 

Tho when I run it like the top pic it sounds fantastic but it's almost like a single path again, any effect in the dual path effects both the guitar and mic signal. Why is that? Do I need to pan? Or maybe I need to leave a gap before the dual path like vintage pre > gap > dual path > etc? 

Thanks!

13 hours ago, activateclint said:

Tho when I run it like the top pic it sounds fantastic but it's almost like a single path again, any effect in the dual path effects both the guitar and mic signal. Why is that? Do I need to pan?

That top pic is a single path.... you should run it like the bottom pic but without anything after the mixer. Keep the guitar effects in one path, the MIC effects in the other... the two should not meet. 

Now assign the guitar input to the guitar path, and the mic input to the mic path.... then hard pan the mixer left and right. That will give you two independent sends.

WARNING: If you use 1/4" for guitar and XLR out for the mic, you will need to insert a dummy jack in the unused 1/4" out. 

codamedia has you covered on the input config.

However, based on your pics, you are always using a single amp chain...Looks like the amp block and a verb or something at the end recombining the chains. What I meant by FULL DUAL PATH is that that you would select the amp block for Move and then press either the up or down arrow to split it. Basically, the mixer should be at the end of the chain...you will need two of everything...pan them hard left and right and you have to separate outputs.