Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is the Amplifi Dead?

Yitz

I just found out about this piece of tech which sounded great and very conviently exactly what I need.. So I come here to see if theres any info about Android and various other questions I had regarding how it has progressed since release and I'm getting bad vibes of "HELP NOT WORKING!" and apparently 30% of peoples AMPs are frying and its near impossible to get it replaced?

Some real insight into wtf is going on with this product would be neat :)

Hi Yitz,

I have had a couple of issues with my Amplifi 150 and it's been for repairs twice, including a new power supply being installed, but it hasn't given me troubles since. I considered buying maybe a spider if it wasn't reliable. After it went out of warranty it one day did the random shutdown thing, so I dismantled it and removed the firmware card. I then cleaned the slot and put it back together, and it didn't boot. (dammit) But then I realised I hadn't put the card back in. I pulled the back off again and reinstalled the card and it has worked like a dream ever since. It hasn't played up in nearly a year.

I really like my Amplifi and its tone modelling, even if it was trouble in the beginning, and I would like to hope it continues to serve me for the next 5 or 10 years.

I hope you get one, and that it works without a hitch for you.

I’ve not had a single issue with my AMPLIFi 75. 

people who have had issues are rightfully going to vent their frustrations while those with no problems are going to stay quiet. 

The amplifi is is perfect for me. I don’t play in bands and just jam out at home with headphones. Being able to play along to songs through my phone is wonderful. 

If you can wait it might be worth seeing what pops up at namm 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2018 at 7:49 AM, SaltyRum said:

I’ve not had a single issue with my AMPLIFi 75. 

people who have had issues are rightfully going to vent their frustrations while those with no problems are going to stay quiet. 

The amplifi is is perfect for me. I don’t play in bands and just jam out at home with headphones. Being able to play along to songs through my phone is wonderful. 

If you can wait it might be worth seeing what pops up at namm 

And your Amplifi 75 is still working fine through the Amplifi App ?? jeez .. I've had problems with it for months:

1. Bluetooth Connection drops

2. Inconsistent volume control between guitar and music. Unable to level out the music and guitar to the same noise level, so one is always higher than the other. The guitar sound is almost inaudible, while the music is loud.

3. Also appears to be remove some of the individual feeds (guitar, drums, bass, whatever) while playing music (ie Metallica), such as you can hear guitar but no bass and drums are faint.

There have been no recent updates for the Amplifi app for iOS to fix any bugs (which there are).

Running iOS 12.1 and Amplifi Device Flash 2.60.

Customer support doesn't appear to be on Line6's agenda ... wish they would take a leaf out of Amazon's level of service!

It's got to the point where I have almost stopped playing guitar as this is the only amp I have now and to play along with music has ceased! Well done Line6 !!

On verge of deleting the App and using the AMP as a doorstop!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well.....

Since I bought the amp I’ve been using an android phone, Samsung S5. The phone’s old and started slowing down but lucky for me my work phone broke so I got it replaced with an iPhone 8. Brilliant; I can now use my amp with a better phone, or so I thought. 

With the iPhone I’m getting all the issues that everyone else is. Losing connection, songs suddenly stoping, app not responding etc. I’m wondering if it’s the iPhone app that’s screwing everything. 

Gone back to the Samsung and again not a single problem. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/14/2019 at 1:09 PM, SaltyRum said:

Well.....

Since I bought the amp I’ve been using an android phone, Samsung S5. The phone’s old mycfavisit customer survey and started slowing down but lucky for me my work phone broke so I got it replaced with an iPhone 8. Brilliant; I can now use my amp with a better phone, or so I thought.  

With the iPhone I’m getting all the issues that everyone else is. Losing connection, songs suddenly stoping, app not responding etc. I’m wondering if it’s the iPhone app that’s screwing everything. 

Gone back to the Samsung and again not a single problem. 

Thanks for the clarification

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

I have stopped having any problems at all with my Amplifi 150. It works a dream and is perfect for both practice and gigging.

One thing I have noticed is that if I am in a venue with lots of data transfer wirelessly, (for lights, stage control, communications, lapel mics, etc.) the Amplifi doesn't work well with the app. depending on the unique Bluetooth frequency of your particular Amplifi and the signals around it, it may be a signal frequency (i.e. a particular wifi network) that may interfere and cause issues.

Another thing I noticed is the terrible range on the bluetooth control. It really is quite abysmal at times and causes problems. Now, however, I refrain from using the app unless I am making tones, and do everything via my FBV Shortboard MKii where possible.

I have come to the conclusion that the Amplifi and app combination is really designed for practicing, and if you want to gig with the amp, it is nearly essential to have the bluetooth switched off and a control pedal to switch tones if required.

I love my Amplifi and it does exactly what I want it to when I follow these "rules".

On 6/26/2020 at 3:10 AM, RileyVallance19 said:

I have come to the conclusion that the Amplifi and app combination is really designed for practicing, and if you want to gig with the amp, it is nearly essential to have the bluetooth switched off and a control pedal to switch tones if required.

I think that's a pretty good assessment. For anyone wanting to play 'live' with the Amplifi, a floorboard is far more versatile and less frustrating! You'll have easy access to 100 stored presets, and the ability to turn effects on and off, as well.

Nice to hear from someone who's enjoying his Amplifi 150!

• 7 months later...